Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has australia lost it sparkle???

Has australia lost it sparkle???

Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:06 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Has australia lost it sparkle???

We moved here two years ago with two small children (2 and 1 at the time). Friends and family thought that we must be leaving the UK and moving to Australia for a better life for the kids, for the weather, for four day weeks, a huge house and because the UK was going to the dogs (their words, not mine).

We didn't come for any of those reasons. Hubby and I came to live in Australia because we wanted to. Not for the children, not for a better life, but just to experience something different whilst we had the opportunity, and because we were selfish and decided to do it. We figure that the girls were still young enough for the upheaval not to matter too much (no school yet), and that if it all went tits up we could move back fairly easily. We have family in the UK but have lived away from them for years, so there were no real ties there.

We came with no pre-conceived ideas of what it would be like, we did the research and were prepared to take the rough with the smooth. We didn't expect to have an easy life once we got here, and knew that it would be very hard work.

As it happens, Australia has been good to us, we love it here and we have settled very well. In fact I would think that we will stay here permanently. We didn't come for a better life though. We came for the experience.

Last edited by LittleKittyCat; Jan 4th 2011 at 7:07 am. Reason: Spelling.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:26 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
Clown. Figure of speach
Speech
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:49 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleKittyCat
We moved here two years ago with two small children (2 and 1 at the time). Friends and family thought that we must be leaving the UK and moving to Australia for a better life for the kids, for the weather, for four day weeks, a huge house and because the UK was going to the dogs (their words, not mine).

We didn't come for any of those reasons. Hubby and I came to live in Australia because we wanted to. Not for the children, not for a better life, but just to experience something different whilst we had the opportunity, and because we were selfish and decided to do it. We figure that the girls were still young enough for the upheaval not to matter too much (no school yet), and that if it all went tits up we could move back fairly easily. We have family in the UK but have lived away from them for years, so there were no real ties there.

We came with no pre-conceived ideas of what it would be like, we did the research and were prepared to take the rough with the smooth. We didn't expect to have an easy life once we got here, and knew that it would be very hard work.

As it happens, Australia has been good to us, we love it here and we have settled very well. In fact I would think that we will stay here permanently. We didn't come for a better life though. We came for the experience.
Great post!
After several years on this forum I have no illusions about Australia
I just want to do something different.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleKittyCat

Love it. The honesty that is. The better life for the kids, as if parent is making a huge sacrifice for their kids, is so tedious.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 8:43 am
Just Joined

darroll30 is an unknown quantity at this point

obviously the only reason isnt soley for the kids,we as a family think it would benefit us as a whole,obviously i have done my research as far as website etc,but they obviously dont always give a true reflextion???hence reason why i joined here to gauge the views,i have pinpointed the melbourne area as a possible location???as for my work situation i am fortunate to own a number of properties which are rented and i own a number of businesses which gladly are profitable,i feel with possibly cashing in on the above would give us a head start in the australian economy?people mention that cost of living in oz is expensive,well in all fairness britain hardly running on the cheap side of things at moment so i dont think it would be such a problem,i obviously appreciate peoples views as there a great help to me and my family,please keep them coming....
Old Jan 4th 2011, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darroll30
obviously the only reason isnt soley for the kids,we as a family think it would benefit us as a whole,obviously i have done my research as far as website etc,but they obviously dont always give a true reflextion???hence reason why i joined here to gauge the views,i have pinpointed the melbourne area as a possible location???as for my work situation i am fortunate to own a number of properties which are rented and i own a number of businesses which gladly are profitable,i feel with possibly cashing in on the above would give us a head start in the australian economy?people mention that cost of living in oz is expensive,well in all fairness britain hardly running on the cheap side of things at moment so i dont think it would be such a problem,i obviously appreciate peoples views as there a great help to me and my family,please keep them coming....
It isnt cheap and I can say that having just returned from melbourne, which is now supposed to be more expensive than Sydney. You sound pretty alright with cash flow, in that position I would really be on a plane and checking it out, prices of property in inner melbourne will probably blow you away but further out can be OK. Melbourne is a pretty big city though not quite sure its where I would head if I was looking to escape the problems of the UK, plenty of crime there for a start. www.theage.com.au is the states newspaper, worth a daily read to get some idea of life weather etc
Old Jan 4th 2011, 9:33 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

We have been here for 7 years and still love it. It is getting expensive to live here, we are 40 mins outside Melbourne. We are looking to move to a bit of land (only a 1/2 acre or so, and we are looking at $500K!) but wouldnt live anywhere else in Aus cos I love Mellie and havent found anywhere I like as much.

Jad, we just came back from the Goldie and commented how expensive fruit was ($7 a kilo for apples!!>??) and fuel couldnt be bought (while we were there) for under $1.29 a litre, I paid $1.14 here today....I also felt house prices were pretty much the same for a 4 bed with room to breathe.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

No, it has gained sparkle instead. VicPolice has done good job to curb the knife and drunken crime in Melbourne making the streets safe again. Summers are milder this year which will make many BEs happy. AU dollar in RE is surmount which increases foreign purchasing and travelling power of the aussies.

The only place where it lost sparkle this year is cricket, hope they'll bounce back in the world cup
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

You obviously have more financial freedom than a lot of prospective migrants. If you feel you have to come to Australia, then it would make sense to try it out for a couple of years, but don't burn your bridges by selling up in the UK. Have you ever visited Australia?

It is expensive living here, except for petrol, but you use more of it, and public transport is nowhere near as good. My OH is Australian, so not comparing dollars to pounds, and finds the prices here in Perth ridiculous. We were both amazed to find the UK, even London, so cheap when we visited 6 months ago. You would be surprised what you have to pay here for doctor's appointments and prescriptions - this one item can mount up when you have kids.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
We have been here for 7 years and still love it. It is getting expensive to live here, we are 40 mins outside Melbourne. We are looking to move to a bit of land (only a 1/2 acre or so, and we are looking at $500K!) but wouldnt live anywhere else in Aus cos I love Mellie and havent found anywhere I like as much.

Jad, we just came back from the Goldie and commented how expensive fruit was ($7 a kilo for apples!!>??) and fuel couldnt be bought (while we were there) for under $1.29 a litre, I paid $1.14 here today....I also felt house prices were pretty much the same for a 4 bed with room to breathe.
$1.17 for fuel here today
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Ianevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to all

Hi,can anybody help???

im a 30yr old guy with a wife and two sons,billy 6 evan 1,we currently live in wales but have a dream of living in australia,my views are that by moving to oz it will give us a young family a better lifestyle than that on offer here in the uk.
although i have a very good career here with a nice wage and house etc i hope also by moving it will give my boys a brighter chance in life.

can anybody share there views and experiences with us

Many thanks

Darroll
Calon Lan?
Old Jan 4th 2011, 11:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by HelenTD
You would be surprised what you have to pay here for doctor's appointments
Too true. In 8 years with regular trips to the doctor I have only ever paid once.

However I did read that in the Sept 2010 Quarter about 23% of attendances at GP's (in QLD) had to be paid for, and were not Free.

Old Jan 4th 2011, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
$1.17 for fuel here today
Average in Perth metro area $1.27 today.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Too true. In 8 years with regular trips to the doctor I have only ever paid once.

However I did read that in the Sept 2010 Quarter about 23% of attendances at GP's (in QLD) had to be paid for, and were not Free.
I've paid for medical treatment twice since I got here, and I have to go to the doctors at least every 6 months.

I had to pay for a follow up x-ray when I broke my foot. My fault because I forgot to ask the doctor to send me bulk bill - it wasn't my normal GP as they were really busy at the time.

The other was for a boot for my broken foot so I could go back to work (yes, I'm sad like that) who wouldn't let me go back unless I was wearing one. I only wore it for one week

Judging by comments from others on this site, I picked the right state to move to!!
Old Jan 4th 2011, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

There just isn't a bulk billing place near us. I would have to drive for about 20 minutes to find one. Even non-bulk billing places have a waiting list to join up as new patients. My friend goes to a place that bulk bills for children, but adults have to pay. What does your source say about bulk billing rates in metro Perth?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.