Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone transported IKEA "Billy" bookcases?

Has anyone transported IKEA "Billy" bookcases?

Old Jun 30th 2010, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has anyone transported IKEA "Billy" bookcases?

We have some I was thinking of chucking in the container for the playroom, but I wondered how well they'd survive the transport, i.e. would the back fall out?
Old Jun 30th 2010, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone transported IKEA "Billy" bookcases?

Originally Posted by Family of 3
We have some I was thinking of chucking in the container for the playroom, but I wondered how well they'd survive the transport, i.e. would the back fall out?
you're having a bubble right?

you do know that we have ikea here in Australia don't you?
Old Jun 30th 2010, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but if there's room in the container it saves delivery and putting together (and buying new ones) hassle.

Already have these, but in fact may be buying some IKEA stuff to bring. Here in Singapore it's a flat $55 delivery no matter how much you buy, plus they'll assemble things for you for 6% of the cost. If the shipping's a sunk cost it saves a lot of DIY time on big items.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but if there's room in the container it saves delivery and putting together (and buying new ones) hassle.

Already have these, but in fact may be buying some IKEA stuff to bring. Here in Singapore it's a flat $55 delivery no matter how much you buy, plus they'll assemble things for you for 6% of the cost. If the shipping's a sunk cost it saves a lot of DIY time on big items.
if yer shipping is sunk then you'll need to buy everything from ikea when you get here..
Old Jun 30th 2010, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

I've packed loads of IKEA stuff ready for our container, just taken them in bits and flat packed them best I can.

Bought some polystyrene corners to protect edges then wrapped in large roll bubble wrap all bought of internet.

It's amazing how little room our bits of furniture take up once flat packed again!

Old Jun 30th 2010, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

joquin is just really nicejoquin is just really nicejoquin is just really nicejoquin is just really nicejoquin is just really nicejoquin is just really nicejoquin is just really nicejoquin is just really nice

Bring as much Ikea stuff as you like because its 3 times the cost to buy from ikea here.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 9:23 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Our Malm chest of drawers were both wrecked on the way over and Pickfords won't replace them like for like!!!

UK IKEA - £85
OZ IKEA - $299

I'd give it a whirl, the IKEA over here is a rip off in comparison to the UK! LOL
Old Jun 30th 2010, 9:24 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

ikea is the work of satan...............mm
Old Jun 30th 2010, 9:29 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Not Billies, Fo3, but something very similar from vhive. Flat-pack them and bring them; if it doesn't affect your container size you'll save a fortune buying in Singapore.

(I miss vhive )
Old Jun 30th 2010, 9:31 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

We did, along with a couple of wardrobes, drawers and they were fine. Packed the drawers full of clothes, very tightly, and stuffed pillows / duvets on the bookcases. All arrived safe and sound
Old Jun 30th 2010, 9:38 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Has anyone transported IKEA "Billy" bookcases?

Break them down to flat pack.

We brought 4 Billy bookcases.

We also bought a "tromso" bunk bed but in the multiple moves have lost ALL the bits to put it together. Does anyone know where we can get IKEA bits? IKEA themselves here in Melbourne haven't got them.

BB
Old Jun 30th 2010, 10:37 pm
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have space in the container, bring them. Ours arrived fine. IKEA over here is a similarly bad experience and more expensive.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

We also bought a "tromso" bunk bed but in the multiple moves have lost ALL the bits to put it together. Does anyone know where we can get IKEA bits? IKEA themselves here in Melbourne haven't got them.

BB
Billy is an old staple of ours too! Ours are a bit aged.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 11:47 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scotty1
If you have space in the container, bring them. Ours arrived fine. IKEA over here is a similarly bad experience and more expensive.
Not only that but it will seem like such a waste to buy items you already had again
Old Jul 1st 2010, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

BB
What bits are you talking about? Can't you just use nails and superglue?

If it's the bits of dowling you're after, just buy a length of wooden dowel the right thickness and cut to size. The fasteners may be available in Bunnings. They're not specific to ikea.

Cheers

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.