Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone noticed how people dress here?

Has anyone noticed how people dress here?

Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:05 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone noticed how people dress here?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Points I would make are:

i) Some of the clothes on sale in Australian suburban malls are not the best - this is mitigated by the fact that even the well off tend to dress more 'country' to fit the Aussie lifestyle, climate and whim. Having said that, considered and properly considered purchases from other retailers may not disappoint so much.

ii) In the inner cities, some people dress very well indeed - and have the bodies as well.

iii) Your typical Brit tends to have access to reasonably good quality mass produced clothing. Unfortunately everyone wears it and a Friday or Saturday night can yield amusing results.

There is nothing worse than recent Brit migrants dressed like Next catalogue rejects. Doesn't look right in my opinion.
either that or their football shirts!!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Maybe Next should start selling football shirts - everyone with little imagination would be covered.

Disclaimer: Just my opinion, don't bother starting a discussion on the lack of merit of Next or their customers please
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:12 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Maybe Next should start selling football shirts - everyone with little imagination would be covered.

Disclaimer: Just my opinion, don't bother starting a discussion on the lack of merit of Next or their customers please
during football tournaments Next market a very "nice" range of union jack laden clothing.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

during football tournaments Next market a very "nice" range of union jack laden clothing.
oh god
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

I am with you moneypen, bloody hated Next and people who seemed to think they were so fantastic because 99% of their wardrobe was over-expensive crap from there....
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:08 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iPom
I'm more curious to hear about his experience of cheap Thai prostitutes.
I can tell you that the difference between the cheap ones and the next model up is not worth the extra outlay.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrispy
personally i think anyone who relies on looking posh to get on in life is missing the point..i much prefer the relaxed attitude to dress
I reckon, for posh events it's well worth dressing posh even if it's but once a year.

I had all the sheilas admiring my bespoke Pommy jacket - made at considerable cost 17 years ago at a posh dinner last year. It never gets used anywhere else.

Apart from that, I'm the daggiest bloke going and would enjoy the accusation.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

seanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really nice

back in the uk my youngest daughter was growing to be a well respected chav (shudders at that thought) she wouldnt wear anything that wasnt fred perry or lacoste, once we got here and she realised i wasnt going to pay stupid amounts of money for the likes of Lonsdale she had to conform, to some degree, She now wears her beloved England/Liverpool shirts, shipped over at Christmas and Birthdays with Board shorts from k mart and volleys.
She'd no doubt get bashed for wearing anything like that in the UK, hell i even want to bash her for looking like a bogan!
We have tried to get her into *girly* stuff, but shes having none of it, the only person tht gives a sh## is me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but then i loved Next and debenhams
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
The way people dress is way down on my list of worries here

Personally, I quite like the fact that people don't give a stuff about expensive gear, because I never have or ever wanted to.
I get very puzzled by folk who show off about $600 sunglasses or $250 jeans. Strewth, I could kit out a new wardrobe for that sum!!
Totally agree, although your post has reminded me of one reason my Aussie Daughter loves London. She really is in to the Blingy stuff, although uptil she left Aussie, she never looked down on anyone that didn't wear it. She Recently asked us to go halves in a B'day present for her for a pair of Chanel sunglasses costing 180 quid.

I hope she never ever adopts the same views as the opening poster, I'd kill her. I doubt if she will, She did work in the fashion industry here though, and is in the music industry in London. I'm going to keep a check on this attitude and really pull her up if I hear her say anything similar.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 5:24 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Gucci have recently opened a store in Perth. They sell sunglasses. People in Australia are into labels just as much as in the UK.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 5:54 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexleeson
I am constantly aghast at how awfully people seem to dress here, especially the girls, it seems like either they dressed during a blackout or their mothers truly hate their offspring and said 'you look nice dear'. Few people have any sense of balance, cololur, fit and texture - all I see is such a mixmatch effort of a retard..

Half the young women dress so badly they would make a cheap prostitute in Thailand look like a refined lady and the other half look like they have hacked their way through their grannies' and mum's clothes from the 1980s while blindfolded.

Am I the only one who has noticed?

My wife and I actually have so much fun just watching people, its like free comedy and we get to have a good laugh..it just seems to be happening more and more often!:
There seems to have been a bit of a backlast to the above points of view but I have to say my reaction when I first got here was exactly the same.

Now after living in the country with the second worst dress sense in the world for a few years I don't notice it so much anymore.

And the worst, I hear you ask.

Well, I used to go out with a girl from New Zealand. Now that was hilarious!

Last edited by Big Galah; Mar 27th 2007 at 5:55 am. Reason: typo
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Gucci have recently opened a store in Perth. They sell sunglasses. People in Australia are into labels just as much as in the UK.
Sure -but I'd say that the average bogan in Australia is far less fashion conscious than your average 'bloke' in the UK.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:25 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

What is it with those ? I saw an entire family (well the father and two teenager kids and a rather sheepish looking wife) the other day in England strip. I actually felt like going over and saying "you know you've moved to Australia and you look like a bunch of k*obs ?".
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Well why didn't you I would have stood and looked and laughed very loudly and pointed them out to people
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:49 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally Posted by Big Galah
There seems to have been a bit of a backlast to the above points of view but I have to say my reaction when I first got here was exactly the same.

Now after living in the country with the second worst dress sense in the world for a few years I don't notice it so much anymore.

And the worst, I hear you ask.

Well, I used to go out with a girl from New Zealand. Now that was hilarious!

My first time in Oz I was the same, I thought WTF is it with the dress sense in Oz! But then I lived in Holland before Oz and everyone there dresses like they are off to a social event anytime of the day. Now on my second time around in Oz I tend to dress in what ever I can grab, if its not ironed I do not worry, even go out with my hair like a birds nest. Dont think the OP was bieng nasty in my opinion, but I am sure in time they will chill out and go with the flow. It comes to us all, I like not worrying about what I have on, in UK people do tend to look you up and down, the times I had to go and collect kids from school I always noticed mothers looking at everyone that entered the school yard.
In Oz you can't tell someone with money to someone with none, by what they wear. I often see guys come in the shop with tatty shorts, hair like a surfer, no shoes and they then spend loads on their boat, most pay cash too.

On the subject of football shirts, I think they are a real sign of a Brit. Brits abroad and there they are with the shirt on, do they really think they look good on? They should be banned, especialy the England one and the ones made from material that looks like it would ignite with the slightest bit of friction. Rugby shirts do not bother me though.

E

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.