Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone noticed how people dress here?

Has anyone noticed how people dress here?

Old Mar 30th 2007, 11:25 am
Pasta Fari

Karl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud of
Default Re: Has anyone noticed how people dress here?

Originally Posted by Hutch
Actually... on further reading from the OP's prior posting history ... I think the following says it all:

"We wanted to bring our maid (whose as much part of the family) with us but there is no provision on 457 application for domestic staff and her visa would be denied- and I can't adopt a thirtyfive year old!!!.

Since we have two babies, and my wife has never lived without servants, I am worried how she will cope. She says she is up to the challenge of being a proper stay at home mum taking care of children and home, but I have only seen my dear wife cook three times in four years, and have never seen her clean the house.

Hilarious, but...

'Ang on. Doesn't OP's username ring a bell? Was it the guy behind the Bering's bank fiasco? I suspect someone could be pulling plonkers on several levels...

Then again, my memory's going

Karl
Old Mar 30th 2007, 11:27 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karl & Ann
Hilarious, but...

'Ang on. Doesn't OP's username ring a bell? Was it the guy behind the Bering's bank fiasco? I suspect someone could be pulling plonkers on several levels...

Then again, my memory's going

Karl
That was NICK Leeson I think.

G
Old Mar 30th 2007, 11:28 am
Account Closed

Scott will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by iPom
Come now Hutch. Shurely you know how difficult it is to live without one's 'help'. I had to leave my personal 'Bottom Wiper' in the UK. I tried to adopt her, but she was too old, and they wouldn't let her in.

Of course, this means I have to wipe my own bottom now and I just don't know how I manage!
I think I've only done it twice in my entire life. You've no idea how difficult it is! They don't teach you these things in school you know.

This is all very unsavory behavior , one had to wipe ones own posterior upon one occasion & got in to a frightfull mess .

all very embarrassing for all concerned

S.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 11:29 am
Pasta Fari

Karl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Grayling
That was NICK Leeson I think.

G
Thank you. I stand corrected. Still a Leeson, so maybe it runs in the family

Karl
Old Mar 30th 2007, 11:32 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by emmakc1977
I actually hate footie shirts, but I wouldn't laugh at people for wearing them - this forum is great for finding out information, but sometimes I think that people get way too agressive and quite nasty for absolutley reason - some people need to get a life!

Saying that, I have no idea why I'm letting myself get sucked into it and why I'm even bothering to post. On that note, I'm off!
Wasn't that Nick Leeson?

Looks like he's got no money worries.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 11:34 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scott&rachel
This is all very unsavory behavior , one had to wipe ones own posterior upon one occasion & got in to a frightfull mess .

S.

I'm sure it was. Terrible having to do it all yourself.

What is the world coming to?
Old Mar 30th 2007, 11:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iPom
I'm sure it was. Terrible having to do it all yourself.

What is the world coming to?
i even had the misfortune of wiping ones nose , postively ghastly .
Old Mar 30th 2007, 11:39 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
One thing I have noticed is that people tend to be very fashion concious and well dressed in the CBDs....I have noticed this in a number of cities.

I have also found that in every work related meeting I have been in in Australia people have dressed very conventially..ie. suit and tie etc.

G
True. But it does extend beyond the CBD as well. Take a walk amongst the cafes in Berry here in south coast NSW, for instance, and you'll see plenty of fashionably dressed people sipping lattes. The southern highlands has more than its fair share of fashionably attired locals too. What I like is that nobody gives a hoot either way - dress up, dress down, go Armani or go-lo - please yourself should be the motto, and I like it that way.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 11:44 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evelin

It's not all and everywhere but it is a schock when you come from Europe. Even my husband, who lives in Australia for over 40 years can pick a European amongst the crowd.

Evelin
What complete bollox Apart from indigenous people Australia is made up of immigrants, a huge percentage of whom are from Europe. Get over yourself. Thanks for making me laugh though.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 3:44 am
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

S.
I went to public school.Best days of ones life.Buggered sensless of course.Taught me a thing or two about life
Old Mar 31st 2007, 7:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mid Lifer.
I went to public school.Best days of ones life.Buggered sensless of course.Taught me a thing or two about life
aahh yes , those were the days :-

myself and the rest of the fellows leapfrogging down
to the Cambridge recruiting office and then playing tiddlywinks in the queue. We had hammered Oxford's tiddlywinkers only the week before,
and there we were, off to hammer the Boche! Crashingly superb bunch of
blokes. Fine, clean-limbed -- even their acne had a strange nobility
about it.

" Blackadder Goes Forth "
Old Mar 31st 2007, 8:48 am
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

aahh yes , those were the days :-

myself and the rest of the fellows leapfrogging down
to the Cambridge recruiting office and then playing tiddlywinks in the queue. We had hammered Oxford's tiddlywinkers only the week before,
and there we were, off to hammer the Boche! Crashingly superb bunch of
blokes. Fine, clean-limbed -- even their acne had a strange nobility
about it.

" Blackadder Goes Forth "
You got it in one ....