Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone noticed how people dress here?

Has anyone noticed how people dress here?

Old Mar 28th 2007, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

gordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to all
Default Re: Has anyone noticed how people dress here?

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin
I still don't know what a 'camel toe' is ...or a 'muffin top'
Yes northernbird, the use of the word 'retard' bothered me too

I've got the camel toe world cup below - Miss Canada vs Miss New Orleans.

Have fun!!
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone noticed how people dress here?-4064601.jpg   Has anyone noticed how people dress here?-40646f2.jpg  
Old Mar 28th 2007, 8:15 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gordon&laura
I've got the camel toe world cup below - Miss Canada vs Miss New Orleans.

Have fun!!
Karma sent for Miss Canada.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 9:36 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Karma sent for Miss Canada.
We Canadian girls are hot, eh?
Old Mar 28th 2007, 10:02 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmakc1977
Just got my new Next catalouge and there's some great bits in there for me and my four year old!

I'm actually quite shocked at some of the posts on this thread. Some of you have hurled abuse at the OP only to start bad mouthing people who wear things you don't like such as footie kits or clothes from Next. In fact, one person actually said they would laugh and point at a family if they were wearing England kits. If my son ever grew up to do a thing like that I would be deeply ashamed
I'm not suggesting that to buy Next clothes is satanic or something. However, the OP attacked generally the Australian style, which if anything is a part of our culture here. Its merely an observation that the UK high street style is that of a clone latest fashion culture whereas here people tend to wear what they feel more comfortable in, or dont concern themselves with the fashion of the day. A broad generalisation that with obvious exceptions of the youth etc.

Next has this sort of style that you can spot. We had a family come to stay with us and it was amusing, to me anyway, that it was obvious that a few large shopping trips to Next had taken place to fill those bags with "clothes for the holidays". To the extent that they could have easily been photo'd most days to appear in the latest catalogue. They didnt look bad, in fact very....fashionable - perhaps too much so

As to wearing football shirts, my point was more that when one migrates it probably isnt a good idea to become even more proud of England than you were ever before and wear it your sleeve so to speak. In the same way as some people in the UK bemoan migrants not taking on the culture of the new nation they have chosen to live in and become a part of, some people here have a similar views and concerns with the large numbers of migrant British and a minority are quite xenophobic about that too.

As the old saying goes, when in Rome....
Old Mar 29th 2007, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lee on solent
Maybe that was the day England was playing Israel,it doesnt mean because you have moved you have to change your football team.
Maybe...but I would cringe too if I saw that. I'm with Centurion all the way.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Exhibit one
Two members of the great British public:

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/6...resizedao3.jpg

You were saying...?
Pregnant and a bottle of wine in hand....just beautiful...
Old Mar 29th 2007, 6:41 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Cool - My sis is a teacher at Lymm High.

You call people from Cheshire 'Cheese'...
I was born in Lymm.

We now return you to your usual programming.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 6:50 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
I was born in Lymm.

We now return you to your usual programming.
My condolences.

Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:11 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

My condolences.

Oi you - wind your neck in.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:14 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

I've lost 50lb. I am qualified to talk about fat.

I also used to buy clothes from Next. They were cut better than others for someone with hips.
I'm suprised at that as most of the time when I went in the clothes were all for people size 8 to 10 which I wasn't ...:curse:
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
I'm suprised at that as most of the time when I went in the clothes were all for people size 8 to 10 which I wasn't ...:curse:

Maternity

Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:25 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I just used the Mail order and never the shops. That way you could order your size and if they didn't have it in, it would arrive a week later.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:31 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Centurion
I'm not suggesting that to buy Next clothes is satanic or something. However, the OP attacked generally the Australian style, which if anything is a part of our culture here. Its merely an observation that the UK high street style is that of a clone latest fashion culture whereas here people tend to wear what they feel more comfortable in, or dont concern themselves with the fashion of the day. A broad generalisation that with obvious exceptions of the youth etc.

Next has this sort of style that you can spot. We had a family come to stay with us and it was amusing, to me anyway, that it was obvious that a few large shopping trips to Next had taken place to fill those bags with "clothes for the holidays". To the extent that they could have easily been photo'd most days to appear in the latest catalogue. They didnt look bad, in fact very....fashionable - perhaps too much so

As to wearing football shirts, my point was more that when one migrates it probably isnt a good idea to become even more proud of England than you were ever before and wear it your sleeve so to speak. In the same way as some people in the UK bemoan migrants not taking on the culture of the new nation they have chosen to live in and become a part of, some people here have a similar views and concerns with the large numbers of migrant British and a minority are quite xenophobic about that too.

As the old saying goes, when in Rome....
Now you want us to wear Italian kit... . Only joking, we are taking on the new culture and we have learned the language and got jobs etc.. but think by the time the Aussies get xenophobic enough they will already be over run the same as happened to some UK towns.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

emmakc1977 is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually hate footie shirts, but I wouldn't laugh at people for wearing them - this forum is great for finding out information, but sometimes I think that people get way too agressive and quite nasty for absolutley reason - some people need to get a life!

Saying that, I have no idea why I'm letting myself get sucked into it and why I'm even bothering to post. On that note, I'm off!
Old Mar 29th 2007, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Basically the further from inner city Sydney & Melbourne you get, the worse they dress. Now just because you don't wear designer clothes doesn't mean you can't be well dressed!

For all those of you who actually like/are looking forward to dressing like slobs, may I ask what is wrong with people trying to take some pride in their appearance?

And for those of you moving to Sydney - it is far more designer label conscious than anywhere in the UK!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.