Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone noticed how people dress here?

Has anyone noticed how people dress here?

Old Mar 26th 2007, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

alexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Has anyone noticed how people dress here?

I am constantly aghast at how awfully people seem to dress here, especially the girls, it seems like either they dressed during a blackout or their mothers truly hate their offspring and said 'you look nice dear'. Few people have any sense of balance, cololur, fit and texture - all I see is such a mixmatch effort of a retard..

Half the young women dress so badly they would make a cheap prostitute in Thailand look like a refined lady and the other half look like they have hacked their way through their grannies' and mum's clothes from the 1980s while blindfolded.

Am I the only one who has noticed?

My wife and I actually have so much fun just watching people, its like free comedy and we get to have a good laugh..it just seems to be happening more and more often!:
Old Mar 26th 2007, 5:45 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Has anyone noticed how people dress here?

Originally Posted by alexleeson
I am constantly aghast at how awfully people seem to dress here, especially the girls, it seems like either they dressed during a blackout or their mothers truly hate their offspring and said 'you look nice dear'. Few people have any sense of balance, cololur, fit and texture - all I see is such a mixmatch effort of a retard..

Half the young women dress so badly they would make a cheap prostitute in Thailand look like a refined lady and the other half look like they have hacked their way through their grannies' and mum's clothes from the 1980s while blindfolded.

My wife and I actually have so much fun just watching people, its like free comedy and we get to have a good laugh..it just seems to be happening more and more often!:
Exhibit one
Two members of the great British public:

You were saying...?
Old Mar 26th 2007, 5:51 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Has anyone noticed how people dress here?

Surely people have the right to dress how they like. Perhaps you should write to everyone, and send them a form to submit for your approval of certain items of clothing that can and cant be worn.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

alexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
Surely people have the right to dress how they like. Perhaps you should write to everyone, and send them a form to submit for your approval of certain items of clothing that can and cant be worn.
But then I wouldn't have anyone to laugh at!
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:02 am
Just Joined

mosquito_bait is on a distinguished road

Hey Alex, your attitude has reminded me why I give thanks every day that I spend my life with Australians and not poms.

Thanks.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:09 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

I love the fact here no dress code here, you are not judged on if you have the latest Louie Vinton (sp) or Gucci. You can dress your kids in Kmart or Target and no body cares.
I have even been to shops in my slippers, and taken my daughter to the movies in her pj’s!

Sam
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:13 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't know where the OP lives, but people dress perfectly normally here. Not even noticed anything out of the ordinary.

I do enjoy that if I meet someone I know in Coles, they won't be aghast I am not wearing make up or that I'm not wearing the correctly branded clothing.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:27 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

When the in laws were over here, MIL did caustically comment one lunchtime while visiting us in the CBD that 'the women all seemed to be dressed in black'.

As I was wearing a black suit at the time, I didn't much appreciate her comment

However, I have to admit that since then I've noticed how popular dark colours are here for business attire. A friend was saying how she went to a meeting wearing a red suit, and someone said they'd bring their sunglasses next time!

Going out at night, girls do seem keen on very flimsy dresses but I've always worn jeans down the pub and that's not going to change now!

I see quite a few examples of muffin tops though, and mutton dressed as lamb, and wonder whether these people have mirrors at home.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:30 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its the no shoes thing that get me, why???? that totally shocked me when i first arrived and there was a guy in supermarket shopping barefoot lol!!!!!
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:31 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Exhibit one
Two members of the great British public:

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/6...resizedao3.jpg

You were saying...?
chavs
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:34 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chels

I see quite a few examples of muffin tops though, and mutton dressed as lamb, and wonder whether these people have mirrors at home.

Saw plenty of these in the UK though.... Leighton Buzzard on a Friday night...
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:17 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I take it nobody else who has posted so far is bothered about your use of the word retard.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Prague. People wear what they like,not a slave too fashion.

Im hoping Australia is the same.

When you have four kids it gets rediculous trying to keep up with the latest fad!

Here my kids dont care, even the teenager.

I love black too! But probably goes back to me being a rock chic in my youth!
Weaned myself off it a little though, as found the heat in summer is unbearable in black.

Gems
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

turkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the rough

Fashion icon
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mosquito_bait
Hey Alex, your attitude has reminded me why I give thanks every day that I spend my life with Australians and not poms.

Thanks.
Absolutely agree

Must admit I hadnt really noticed I didnt notice until a friend came out a few months ago and kept going on and on "look what she's wearing... OMG look at the state of her" and I just replied "so what?"

Also agree with Sam, it's a breath of fresh air to be able to wear what you like without people judging just because you're not wearing the latest fashion/label or whatever.

I also dont understand why people care so much about other people not wearing shoes - if people want to walk round barefoot where's the harm?

OMG some people seriously need to chill out

(northernbird: yes, good point!!!!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.