Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone got a mortgage while on 1st 3 months probation in a new job?

Has anyone got a mortgage while on 1st 3 months probation in a new job?

Old Feb 15th 2006, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

DJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant future
Question Has anyone got a mortgage while on 1st 3 months probation in a new job?

We have been living here for nearly 4 months now. We have permanent residency and I have just accepted a job offer, starting Monday. We are looking at property, but I was told by an estate agent, that we couldn't get a mortgage until I had completed my 3 month probationary period at work.

Has anyone managed to get a mortage agreed during their probationary period ?

We are looking at borrowing about a third of the total cost and the total mortgage will be less than 2 x my salary, so we are pretty low risk to any lender.

Thanks

DJMA
Old Feb 15th 2006, 1:32 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has anyone got a mortgage while on 1st 3 months probation in a new job?

Originally Posted by DJMA
We have been living here for nearly 4 months now. We have permanent residency and I have just accepted a job offer, starting Monday. We are looking at property, but I was told by an estate agent, that we couldn't get a mortgage until I had completed my 3 month probationary period at work.

We are looking at borrowing about a third of the total cost and the total mortgage will be less than 2 x my salary, so we are pretty low risk to any lender.

Thanks

DJMA

we got one....all hubby had to do was get a proof of salary letter from his employer it didnt ask if he was on prob or not. Put it this way you can be in a job for years and be made redundant tomorrow....u just never know, so they shouldnt stop folks from gettin a mortgage. If you are putting down a large deposit then there is no worries the banks know that if u were to lose ur job they would still be able to recover their costs from the sale of the house
Old Feb 15th 2006, 1:34 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has anyone got a mortgage while on 1st 3 months probation in a new job?

Thanks

DJMA
Give Bordy a shout....Im sure his daughter works for one of the big banks.....maybe she could answer your question
Old Feb 15th 2006, 1:39 am
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

DJMA
got job offer letter 28 Nov, got mortgage offer 19 Dec, moved in 31st Jan. suppose it depends on the bank so you could check it with them.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 2:02 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I hadnt even started my probation period and was offered a mortgage by the bank. All they wanted to see was a letter confirming I had the position and the salary I was on (this was through the commonwealth bank) like you we borrowed 2 x our salary.

TT

Thanks

DJMA
Old Feb 15th 2006, 3:14 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

DJMA
Some banks want 3 months payslips (I think ING is one) but others are okay. I got my mortgage with CBA after 3 weeks in work with almost 2/3rds deposit. Being an existing CBA customer can't have done any harm. Get a mortgage adviser (no cost to you) to advise you - we are using Mortgage Choice in Joondalup with no complaints so far.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 6:19 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Yep, get a mortage adviser... step 1.

Then see what they say and which place is the best one to go with.

You`ll get it np in your situation.

I got our mortgage after working for 4 months, and that was with a 95% loan.

YOU won`t even have to pay or worry about Mortgage Insurance (the biggest hurdle to getting approved), as you are putting down at least a 20% deposit.