Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone done a runner from their UK Bank and left the house behind ?

Has anyone done a runner from their UK Bank and left the house behind ?

Old Sep 23rd 2011, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone done a runner from their UK Bank and left the house behind ?

So you don't want comments on the morality of it, how about the stupidity then?

It sounds like an incredibly stupid idea to me when all you need to do is rent the house out, price of houses invariably rises over the long term and then you have a net asset.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

Moonfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has anyone done a runner from their UK Bank and left the house behind ?

Why even consider the option of running and hiding, it's stupid and childish.

I agree with this. Things get tough here too,what happens if/when things go bad here. Where will you run to next?
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

HANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really nice

Dont listen to any of them mate. You only get one life so live it and dont ever look back
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 5:58 am
Banned

RossCountyLoyal is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my thread. There are some really good posts here, some really good thoughts and considerations with SUBSTANCE.

Not surprisingly there were of course the usual handful of posts with morality about stupidy and childish, even though these were not to be commented, but suppose that was to be expected.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 6:47 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Has anyone done a runner from their UK Bank and left the house behind ?

To the OP: when we couldn't sell our house, we contacted a letting agent and rented it out. Dead simple and the house pays for itself. Give it a go.

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Also, have you considered this.... a lot of people who move to Australia, do not settle well and long to go back to the UK. What if you end up being one of those people? Then you'll have burnt your bridges and will also no longer have a home to return to.
And you'll find Ugly Neville waiting for you at Heathrow with a couple of mates from the seedy side of Bloxwich.*

* This is said for comic effect. Of course, in real life Bloxwich does not have a "seedy side", because the entire place is basically one giant birdcage liner.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Sep 23rd 2011 at 6:50 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 6:56 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
To the OP: when we couldn't sell our house, we contacted a letting agent and rented it out. Dead simple and the house pays for itself. Give it a go.

And you'll find Ugly Neville waiting for you at Heathrow with a couple of mates from the seedy side of Bloxwich.*

* This is said for comic effect. Of course, in real life Bloxwich does not have a "seedy side", because the entire place is basically one giant birdcage liner.
haha good one lol
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 7:09 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

As the years roll on I seem to need really good bait, I think this is a good thing.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Are we done with this thread now?
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 8:45 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Are we done with this thread now?
I, for one, would like to see more SUBSTANCE.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 9:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RossCountyLoyal
Thanks to everyone who has replied to my thread. There are some really good posts here, some really good thoughts and considerations with SUBSTANCE.

Not surprisingly there were of course the usual handful of posts with morality about stupidy and childish, even though these were not to be commented, but suppose that was to be expected.
No offence but you have no right to decide what people can or can't post. I'm quite surprised you've had more replies of the type you want than otherwise.

What I find amusing is that everyone who starts these threads, a) think they have a right to dictate to others and b) think that they will get different replies to those in the threads they've decided didn't give enough information.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 9:26 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
No offence but you have no right to decide what people can or can't post. I'm quite surprised you've had more replies of the type you want than otherwise.

What I find amusing is that everyone who starts these threads, a) think they have a right to dictate to others and b) think that they will get different replies to those in the threads they've decided didn't give enough information.
I think its more that they didn't give them the information they wanted to see. They want their views validated. It's almost as if they're shocked when people don't agree with them.
In this case it looks like they plan to ditch their debts simply because they hope its easy to do.
It's theft by any other name.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 9:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20

I'm quite disappointed, I expected to come back this morning and find a riot all over the forum, standards are obviously slipping............
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 9:35 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm quite disappointed, I expected to come back this morning and find a riot all over the forum, standards are obviously slipping............
I think we have all seen enough "I plan to abscond with a load of cash. Is that OK" type threads over the years.
Perhaps we are getting 'theft fatigue'
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Moonfish is an unknown quantity at this point

even though these were not to be commented, but suppose that was to be expected.[/QUOTE]

No ones cares what you do and dont want us to comment on.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps as we are now part of the australian econmic system the impact of people leaving debts behind in the uk no longer effects us to a degree that we care?

Maybe we cant be bothered to answer some one who thinks they can create such draconian ground rules for posting on a public forum... Where there is a perfectly adquate set of rules in place thank you...

maybe we just decided to put the trolls on a diet...

maybe its Friday and we can't be arsed with an arse today?

Who knows...

Back on topic.... Why not just declare yourself bankrupt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.