Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anybody noticed?

Has anybody noticed?

Old Apr 10th 2005, 4:47 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Has anybody noticed?

Originally Posted by NJJ
Of course, our aforementioned blindsighted posters will refuse to admit that this is the case until they actually get over here to Aus. and realise the situation for themselves.

NJJ
Are you absolutely sure of this ?

Old Apr 10th 2005, 4:49 am
Badge

Originally Posted by NJJ
I'm sure you mean well with your comments, but I doubt you are able to represent the views of every poster on this discussion forum!
Of course not, I offered an opinion that some may in that situation. Some could be a few or many. It automatically follows that it is not everyone...

If I may, a lot of people come out with the usual replies so I try to put in a new or pragmatic perspective.

I guess I am trying to stop pointing the finger and offer up non-controversial/ non argumentative motives behind a lot of posters.

In recent times, a lot of posters are acused of rose-tints or some anti-UK feeling, I am sure many want to get on with their choice and their fustration manifests itself.

Cheers

badge

Last edited by Badge; Apr 10th 2005 at 4:52 am.

Old Apr 10th 2005, 4:59 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Are you absolutely sure of this ?

look, as the other chap says i'm sure some people are just venting frustrations with the uk but I personally can's see why some poeple appear to think that Australia has none of the social issues that the uk has to deal with.
Old Apr 10th 2005, 5:34 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by NJJ
look, as the other chap says i'm sure some people are just venting frustrations with the uk but I personally can's see why some poeple appear to think that Australia has none of the social issues that the uk has to deal with.
I doubt that they really do think that. They may feel that some aspects will have less, but then that does depend on what area they are in in the UK, compared to the area that they move to here in Australia.

Anyway, what I was referring to was your comment "our aforementioned blindsighted posters will refuse to admit that this is the case until they actually get over here to Aus". I have seen quite a few posters who say they have learned a lot from this forum about what it is really like here. Some may not see it fully until they arrive, but not ALL.

Old Apr 10th 2005, 5:57 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by THEOLIVERS
I certainly do!! and have first hand knowledge.
Next door to me is a private rental house, has been for about 12 years. 18 months ago last tenants moved out because the landlord WOULD NOT do any repairs . Then there was a sudden burst of action, new kitchen, central heating, new windows, bathroom, fully decorated and carpeted throughout. There was inspection after inspection from different official bodies then we got the news that this property was being let to asylum seekers.
Now before anyone starts, let me just tell you im from bradford and im pretty tolerant because living here you have to be, but what really got me mad was the fact that the british families that had tenanted this house before had had to make do, but the landlord will receive extra rent off of the BRITISH GOVERMENT for taking the asylum seekers and was actually given a grant to carry out the work.
No they are not illigal immigrants and are indeed a very nice family, but none of them work( mother, 3 grown young men and one adult daughter all of work age) 2 cars and seem to have a very good lifestyle.
Why do people get so mad?
well heres your answer, no its not there fault its the BRITISH GOVERMENTS fault because if they didnt make it so easy for everyone including MANYof our own BRITISH CITIZENS to sponge of the system maybe we wouldnt be looked upon as the easy country we are.
If the same Asylum seeker family illegally entered OZ they would be placed in a hot, stinking concentration camp in the middle of the outback where there is no hope of escape, surrounded by electric fences, barbed wire, nasty guards that hand out bashings, riots, hunger strikes, self mutilations.
If after rotting away for 2 years in this hell hole, by some miracle they are not deported they will be dumped in Sydney or Melbourne with no assistance from the government and have to survive from charities. No wonder almost no illegal immigrants have entered OZ for the last few years. Britain must seem like paradise for asylum seekers compared to OZ.

Last edited by wombat42; Apr 10th 2005 at 6:00 am.

Old Apr 10th 2005, 6:16 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
If after rotting away for 2 years in this hell hole, by some miracle they are not deported they will be dumped in Sydney or Melbourne with no assistance from the government and have to survive from charities.
Not true. They get unemployment benefit, sole parent, whatever if released and help with accomodation, schooling for kids, medicare etc etc
Old Apr 10th 2005, 6:20 am
Badge

I doubt that they really do think that. They may feel that some aspects will have less, but then that does depend on what area they are in in the UK, compared to the area that they move to here in Australia.
My belief is that a lot of people think Australia is faultless because frankly, their ecnomic leverage is that they can move from that area awash with 'asylum seekers' or whatever the issue is, to a nice leafy neighbourhood in Australia without.

It's as simple as that - most migrants know which side their bread is buttered.

Badge

Last edited by Badge; Apr 10th 2005 at 6:26 am.

Old Apr 10th 2005, 6:21 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Not true. They get unemployment benefit, sole parent, whatever if released and help with accomodation, schooling for kids, medicare etc etc
l thought they have to wait 2 years to get unemployment benefits. Most of them don't get released and end up being deported.

Old Apr 10th 2005, 6:32 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
l thought they have to wait 2 years to get unemployment benefits. Most of them don't get released and end up being deported.
If they are released from detention then they have been granted a residency visa of some type, and because they came with little or no assets and via something akin to asylum seeker or humanitarian grounds, they will get federal government support.All to do with OZ/UK being UN signatories I imagine. In anycase you can't release people into the general population with no support or crime rate would soar so they could feed themselves etc

That family of people a while back who were apparently from Pakistan and did later get deported, got all this sort of support.

New Zealanders have to wait 2 years for any benefit here, regardless of circumstances; Brits and others I am not so sure about. Stupid thing is I know of 2 kiwis (ashamed to say) who came to OZ for bigger social security benefits than they got in NZ. They got none and sponge off people here. What annoys me is that the govt doesn't check they have adequate funds, family support or an open return ticket before letting them in here!
Old Apr 10th 2005, 6:35 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, what I was referring to was your comment "our aforementioned blindsighted posters will refuse to admit that this is the case until they actually get over here to Aus". I have seen quite a few posters who say they have learned a lot from this forum about what it is really like here. Some may not see it fully until they arrive, but not ALL.

whatever you say, o confucius
Old Apr 10th 2005, 7:31 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

How can people expect one country to be sooooo much better than another?! Aus obviously has crime, problems with drugs or asylum seekers - whatever Mail story is currently in - just as the UK does.

Just wanted to share something with the forum that I overheard at a cafe at the Rocks yesterday morning. Chap and his Mrs were arguing with their waitress about their bill; the argument ended with Chap turning round to the waitress and declaring 'And, by the way, speak Australian will you!'. This because the waitress was German (I guessed, by her accent). Important point to note though - she was white. People on the forum seem to assume that they won't be on the receiving end of the anti-immigrant comments that they band about, just because of their skin colour. However, being British, they will be in an ethnic minority and may find themselves on the receiving end of some of the sentiments they're expressing here. Just something to be aware of ...

GG

Originally Posted by NJJ
Yes, it is impressive the posts from blindsighted people on here saying things like "Get me out of this shithole UK because the trains dont run on time / taxes are too high / all the PC bullshit is a nightmare / theres too much crime / the youth has no respect for their elders / the education and health systems are under too much strain............." add as many of these scenarios as you like, but chances are you will find that they all exist in Australia too. Of course, our aforementioned blindsighted posters will refuse to admit that this is the case until they actually get over here to Aus. and realise the situation for themselves.

NJJ
Old Apr 10th 2005, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

well done louise bet you never thought this would make 100
Old Apr 10th 2005, 7:50 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

It's exactly the type of thread that will run and run. Do a search - there's hundreds of them!

Originally Posted by Steve2438
well done louise bet you never thought this would make 100
Old Apr 10th 2005, 7:52 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

can't beleive it actually steve 2438.
louise
Old Apr 10th 2005, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Morning GG can i cancel the ringside seat now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.