Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anybody noticed?

Has anybody noticed?

Old Apr 9th 2005, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice
Default Re: Has anybody noticed?

Originally Posted by THEOLIVERS
I certainly do!! and have first hand knowledge.
Next door to me is a private rental house, has been for about 12 years. 18 months ago last tenants moved out because the landlord WOULD NOT do any repairs . Then there was a sudden burst of action, new kitchen, central heating, new windows, bathroom, fully decorated and carpeted throughout. There was inspection after inspection from different official bodies then we got the news that this property was being let to asylum seekers.
Now before anyone starts, let me just tell you im from bradford and im pretty tolerant because living here you have to be, but what really got me mad was the fact that the british families that had tenanted this house before had had to make do, but the landlord will receive extra rent off of the BRITISH GOVERMENT for taking the asylum seekers and was actually given a grant to carry out the work.
No they are not illigal immigrants and are indeed a very nice family, but none of them work( mother, 3 grown young men and one adult daughter all of work age) 2 cars and seem to have a very good lifestyle.
Why do people get so mad?
well heres your answer, no its not there fault its the BRITISH GOVERMENTS fault because if they didnt make it so easy for everyone including MANYof our own BRITISH CITIZENS to sponge of the system maybe we wouldnt be looked upon as the easy country we are.

....... and this is exactly what people are becoming intolerant of, a land lord near us has rented out his house to an agency, there are 10 LEGAL immigrants in this house all paying for the privelidge!!!! you work it out how much some one is making!!!!
Old Apr 9th 2005, 7:23 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Chris Mitchell
....... and this is exactly what people are becoming intolerant of, a land lord near us has rented out his house to an agency, there are 10 LEGAL immigrants in this house all paying for the privelidge!!!! you work it out how much some one is making!!!!
In all situations in life there seems to be those that are coining it!

Old Apr 9th 2005, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

THEOLIVERS has a spectacular aura aboutTHEOLIVERS has a spectacular aura aboutTHEOLIVERS has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Has anybody noticed?

Originally Posted by Merlot
In all situations in life there seems to be those that are coining it!
And where is the justice in the fact that some greedy man makes money from selecting who he will make good his tennancy contract while ripping off this slack arsed government of money that WE give in taxes etc while we work our jacksies off for ??
sorry really ***** me off !!
When money that is being stolen, yes stolen ,could be truly helping many. And it seems that the Government does nothing in many cases to encourage people to work (so it seems if you are no better off for working)
What do people expect?
Theres already enough racial unrest where i live and so many people working hard to settle these problems but im afraid many people see this as the "outsider" getting preferential <? treatmant and thats where a lot of the problems begin.

Feel better now thanks.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 10:06 pm
Merlot

And where is the justice in the fact that some greedy man makes money from selecting who he will make good his tennancy contract while ripping off this slack arsed government of money that WE give in taxes etc while we work our jacksies off for ??
When money that is being stolen, yes stolen ,could be truly helping many. And it seems that the Government does nothing in many cases to encourage people to work (so it seems if you are no better off for working)
What do people expect?
Theres already enough racial unrest where i live and so many people working hard to settle these problems but im afraid many people see this as the "outsider" getting preferential <? treatmant and thats where a lot of the problems begin.

Feel better now thanks.
Hey hold the press here, if you want to have a pop at me get your facts right. It is general steam letting off you are forgiven.

I was actually on your side of thinking about how no matter what the circumstances, there is always someone creaming off a handy wad of cash. Like there is always someone that will cash in, regardless of others feelings. I certainly don't condone it if someone is ripping off the country or me the tax payer.

Next time I would appreciate a more gentle response if quoting my quote.

M

Old Apr 9th 2005, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

THEOLIVERS has a spectacular aura aboutTHEOLIVERS has a spectacular aura aboutTHEOLIVERS has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Merlot
Hey hold the press here, if you want to have a pop at me get your facts right. It is general steam letting off you are forgiven.

I was actually on your side of thinking about how no matter what the circumstances, there is always someone creaming off a handy wad of cash. Like there is always someone that will cash in, regardless of others feelings. I certainly don't condone it if someone is ripping off the country or me the tax payer.

Next time I would appreciate a more gentle response if quoting my quote.

M
SORRY SORRY SORRY
i wasnt honest iv ad a few itts just the way ive worded it sorry mate
Old Apr 9th 2005, 10:12 pm
Merlot

SORRY SORRY SORRY
i wasnt honest iv ad a few itts just the way ive worded it sorry mate
No worries, I understand with this subject how feelings run high, I haven't personally come across situations but I know if I walked into the next town it is there.

Just didn't want anyone to think I was condoning greedy buggers making a fast quid.

M

Old Apr 9th 2005, 10:15 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

What do people expect?

Feel better now thanks.
Like somebody said, wherever a system isn't administered properly, it will be abused. The government has a lot to answer for regarding not cracking down on abuse of various systems (generally, not just immigration) but it's sad when those who should know better take it out on the immigrants themselves.

When there are holes in a system, they will ALWAYS be abused. Blame those that control the system.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 10:34 pm
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute

I completely agree with wmoore. How can you be pissed at a person who seeks to use the system for personal gain. I think that they call it free enterprise. People want capitalism, they have got it.

If the system is not working then the people who set the rules are to blame and not those who are playing by the rules (even if those rules seem to some to be a little unreasonable). Dont get me wrong, I dont agree with the fact that the property was completely refirbished only to be let to migrants, but like I say who's fault is that? The migrants, the landlord, the local government or the people who set the rules?

So bleeting on about migrants and/or greedy landlords is pretty pointless and misses the REAL problem

I personally dont believe it is hard to figure out where the real problem is.

All the best G

Originally Posted by wmoore
Like somebody said, wherever a system isn't administered properly, it will be abused. The government has a lot to answer for regarding not cracking down on abuse of various systems (generally, not just immigration) but it's sad when those who should know better take it out on the immigrants themselves.

When there are holes in a system, they will ALWAYS be abused. Blame those that control the system.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=gsb]I completely agree with wmoore. How can you be pissed at a person who seeks to use the system for personal gain. I think that they call it free enterprise. People want capitalism, they have got it.

If the system is not working then the people who set the rules are to blame and not those who are playing by the rules (even if those rules seem to some to be a little unreasonable). Dont get me wrong, I dont agree with the fact that the property was completely refirbished only to be let to migrants, but like I say who's fault is that? The migrants, the landlord, the local government or the people who set the rules?

So bleeting on about migrants and/or greedy landlords is pretty pointless and misses the REAL problem

I personally dont believe it is hard to figure out where the real problem is.

All the best G[/QU

Wasnt actually "bleeting on"" about the landlord or the neighbour ,trying to point out to an earlier thread that this type of thing happens because our Goverment is crap at just about everything.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 11:32 pm
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute

The "bleeting" comment was not specically aimed at yourself, but a generalisation, sorry if you thought it was pointed.

And yes I completely agree, this (and most) government/s are crap. They seem to shift between being excellent at distorting the truth to downright lieing (now where are those WMD's???).

How does it go...."you get the gvernment you deserve" Not quite sure the British public have deserved what Blair has thrown at them, but then did they deserve Thatcher????

All the best G

QUOTE=THEOLIVERS
Wasnt actually "bleeting on"" about the landlord or the neighbour ,trying to point out to an earlier thread that this type of thing happens because our Goverment is crap at just about everything.[/QUOTE]
Old Apr 9th 2005, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by elfman
Do you seriously believe that?
There is a BIG difference between immigrants, illegal immigrants and asylum seekers. Problem is a lot of people just lump them all in together and believe what they read in the papers. As for illegal immigrants (the group which cause the most animosity) - if you were living in a s**t hole wouldn't you want something better for your family? I know I would try anything to get my children a better future, including entering a country illegally if I could. Having visited the homes of all of the above groups while caring for women having baby's I can assure you the illegal immigrants and the asylum seekers have nothing in comparison to the Brits on the dole. I have sat on a cushion on the floor in an unfurnished house many times. However, this situation is obviously better than the one they are escaping.
Rachel
Old Apr 10th 2005, 4:01 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
I just remain constantly amazed at the number of people using an emigration forum, saying they intend to become an immigrant and then stating their reason for leaving as 'to escape all the immigrants in this country' - with no sense of irony! People need to be very aware of the issues (particularly in terms of race, ethnicity etc) if they're going to become the very thing they supposedly dislike.

Yes, it is impressive the posts from blindsighted people on here saying things like "Get me out of this shithole UK because the trains dont run on time / taxes are too high / all the PC bullshit is a nightmare / theres too much crime / the youth has no respect for their elders / the education and health systems are under too much strain............." add as many of these scenarios as you like, but chances are you will find that they all exist in Australia too. Of course, our aforementioned blindsighted posters will refuse to admit that this is the case until they actually get over here to Aus. and realise the situation for themselves.

NJJ
Old Apr 10th 2005, 4:32 am
Badge

Most of these threads start by bored posters who cannot wait to get to Australia - all of a sudden, the UK seems very dire, and any Daily Mail stories get seized on.

It doesn't necessarily mean the poster is even trying to justify the move; they just want to get on with it.

Badge

Old Apr 10th 2005, 4:40 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Badge
Most of these threads start by bored posters who cannot wait to get to Australia - all of a sudden, the UK seems very dire, and any Daily Mail stories get seized on.

It doesn't necessarily mean the poster is even trying to justify the move; they just want to get on with it.

Badge
And it probably doesn't help when the people who have been in Australia for some time keep saying that they like it here. It might just give them the impression that life here is better than where they are ?

Old Apr 10th 2005, 4:44 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge

Badge

I'm sure you mean well with your comments, but I doubt you are able to represent the views of every poster on this discussion forum!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.