Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anybody noticed?

Has anybody noticed?

Old Apr 13th 2005, 10:50 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: Has anybody noticed?

Originally Posted by Merlot
I have to agree with Phoenixuk2oz on this as earlier in the thread I was diplomatically trying to say this too, not against anyone having a good old fashioned debate on the site - I am the Queen of some agruements on here at times, in fact every now and again it is good for the soul. But I have found sometimes it gets me nowhere but stressed.

My concern too was those that come on and then a side taking thing happens, they we miss the point of what we are trying to debate.

I hope that GG & Louise are able to agree to disagree on this one as both of you add great value to the Forum.

Best wishes and karma thoughts
M
Lets all have a cyber drink. First round's on me < >

Not literally of course....there I go again....soggy jim-jams again. Hubby's gonna have to start wearing waders [sp?] for bed

Old Apr 13th 2005, 10:52 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Lets all have a cyber drink. First round's on me < >

Not literally of course....there I go again....soggy jim-jams again. Hubby's gonna have to start wearing waders [sp?] for bed
Don't need any excuse.

M

Old Apr 13th 2005, 11:05 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Merlot
Don't need any excuse.

M
Lol...me neither. Got alcohol in the veins

Old Apr 13th 2005, 1:05 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

i have to agree there phoenixuk2oz. all there is to be said has been.
that beer sound good to me. i have already backed out of this thread but now the time has come for me also back up....... turn the lights off......and leave.

see you all soon on the forum

bye bye
Old Apr 13th 2005, 3:17 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by louise4
i have to agree there phoenixuk2oz. all there is to be said has been.
that beer sound good to me. i have already backed out of this thread but now the time has come for me also back up....... turn the lights off......and leave.

see you all soon on the forum

bye bye
Do come back on Louise, both yourself and GG are needed!!!

M

Old Apr 13th 2005, 3:45 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

here is just a thought.
Has anybody noticed how many brits are actually moving to other countries now. my friend is selling her house to go to spain and another friend is thinking of going too.
my friend with her house on the market had a viewer round the other day and they said that the last three houses they had viewed were from people going to live abroad.
why is this?
is it because people have just had enough trying to make it in a country which seems hellbent on destroying itself or because the world is a much smaller place now.
It makes you think what will happen in 20 years time after a lot of our generation have gone to other climes and the ilegals and all have had another 20 years of coming here.
i am not being racist so please don't bag me on this it is just an observation after hearing so many people leaving, either now or planning it for an few years time.

louise
Actually ....this is normal....you are picking up on threads of conversation that are important to you

..get pregnant and watch how many people talk babies round you!
..have cancer and notice the number of people it has happened to too!
..and dead people happen all the time?

..........there are still the same number of people in the UK as before and it is increasing .....they are not all leaving!

so mentally work it out....you need to leave therefore you justify your decision by knowing others are doing it and therefore you must be more right same as naming your child in the top 10 of UK names for that yr.

..........gosh I can be a pain................even bigger smiley

Sandra
Old Apr 13th 2005, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

hlbrunty is on a distinguished road

here is just a thought.
Has anybody noticed how many brits are actually moving to other countries now. my friend is selling her house to go to spain and another friend is thinking of going too.
my friend with her house on the market had a viewer round the other day and they said that the last three houses they had viewed were from people going to live abroad.
why is this?
is it because people have just had enough trying to make it in a country which seems hellbent on destroying itself or because the world is a much smaller place now.
It makes you think what will happen in 20 years time after a lot of our generation have gone to other climes and the ilegals and all have had another 20 years of coming here.
i am not being racist so please don't bag me on this it is just an observation after hearing so many people leaving, either now or planning it for an few years time.

louise
Because its 'rip off Britain' and there are so many tv shows just demonstrating what a much better lifestyle it can be in so many other places. Sorry to knock Britain which has its good points, but its not for everyone
Old Apr 13th 2005, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

THEOLIVERS has a spectacular aura aboutTHEOLIVERS has a spectacular aura aboutTHEOLIVERS has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Ben wanting brisbane life
Well said the Olivers. We have plenty of our own spongers. Not saying we need more but we have enough. There is also a large difference in immmigrants. Immigrants is a very stereotypical word. Thinking more along the lines of Political and economic immigrants would be a better way to segregate them. Most i have met are ok, off course some don't work beacuse they don't even speak English. You try and get a job where nobody speaks your language . It's very tough. However regardless of political or economic immigrants people are people regardless of their background or circumstances. We as individuals have no right to judge. Aren't we all equals?????
But if we are all equals then who"s right was it to judge that a non working asylum seeking family have more of a right to a decent house than the british taxpaying family!!! listen ,i know i may seem to be verging on the extreme here but im just trying to point out why SOME people are angry and confused .
Old Apr 13th 2005, 11:12 pm
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute

I dont believe that anyone is saying it is OK and also I dont believe that anyone is saying that you do not have the right to be pissed off at what seems to be a clear injustice. I too find it amazing how people can seemingly walk into this country and be entitled to benefits that other taxpayers are not.

I believe that the general tone here is that there are some (very few?) people migrating to this country who have justifiable cause given their plight. But also, if the blame needs to be levelled at antone it MUST be with the people who allow these things to happen and that is the government. If the right controls are not in place, be they border controls or more stringent migration policies (which could be a points system or simply to deny any financial support) then we will continue to see immigrants come into this counry in droves.

All the best G

Originally Posted by THEOLIVERS
But if we are all equals then who"s right was it to judge that a non working asylum seeking family have more of a right to a decent house than the british taxpaying family!!! listen ,i know i may seem to be verging on the extreme here but im just trying to point out why SOME people are angry and confused .
Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:58 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Louise,

Always nice to open a post with a personal attack! Sets the friendly tone from the start!

I'm not particularly defensive about the spelling of my name. I've just pointed out that it's curteous and respectful to use the correct spelling. Anything else is rather childish.

You want to know about my background? OK. I was born in Sheffield, my Mum left my Dad when I was six and from that age I was raised in a single parent family by my Dad. My Dad didn't work and supported the family on benefits. (Occasionally supplemented by the odd cash-in hand manual labour bit of work at times near Christmas or birthdays.) I went to the local comprehensive and left at 15 with 8 GCSEs. Is that what you expected?! I suspect not.

I have lived in Sheffield, Newcastle and Oxford. The areas that I lived in both Sheffield and Newcastle would be considered bad areas. My sister was hooked up with a heroin addict at the age of 14 and my parent's home was raided by police looking for drugs (because of her involvement with that group) when I was 18. There were large numbers of ethnic minorities in the areas I lived in both Sheffield and Newcastle, many of whom spoke little or no English. Large proportions of the local population in both areas were unemployed. Did I or my family live in fear? No. Why? Because to be scared of the bogey-man is bloody stupid. Strangers are the least likely to attack you. Be more worried about the person you share a bed with than the person that lives down the street from you. As for your suggestion as to how to keep people occupied! Sounds more like segregation then intergration. And I seem to recall a system called apartheid based on similar principles.

Asylum seekers are Britain's problem. Because many of them come from situations that Britain has helped create - think Afghanistan or Iraq. We have a moral and legal responsibility to people we've displaced.

The problem with politics is everyone has an armchair opinion, which they don't feel the need to substantiate - everyone's an expert! Yet, you wouldn't presume to be an expert about other areas or topics, without investigating and making an informed opionion. Would you ever buy a house without having a surevy done? Yet, politics ... Seems to be fair enough to 'know' without being informed or trying to get to grips with the facts. Which is dangerous.

As for your life being sad! I never said it was. I said to live in fear must be sad. But there's an obvious solution to that. Read up, learn, remove the fear. The problem is perceived, it doesn't necessarily exist.

All I meant with paedophilia is that it's brought out by the papers in sensational cases, to scare parents. Children are much, much more likely to be abused and murdered by family or friends then strangers. There are many cases of abuse each year that don't make the headlines. Why? Because they're carried out by a known, rather than an unknown. And that doesn't make for scaremongering, which sells papers.

Phoenix and Merlot - I cannae remember whether it was Jayr or Jad n Rich that made an excellent point about push and pull factors, but the point that you need to understand your reasons for wanting to emigrate and know your own prejudices (because we all have them) and how they might work for or against you (or even come back to haunt you!) is essential. Imagining yourself on the receiving end of your own prejudices can be useful, especially if you're about to move to t'other side of the planet and will be in that category of 'other', rather than 'us'. And that's the only reason I've perservered with this thread, though it's been a waste of time. But distracts me from job hunting, so ... Anyway, beer sounds good! I'm off to the Expats Pub.

GG

Good God woman, have you no sense of humour at all.

if you are so defensive about the spelling of your name, i wonder how you would react to living down the road from people who do no respect anything of yours.
No! not all asyylum seekers are law breaking.
No! not all illegal immigrants are law breaking.
Yes, being there are just more british yobs than assylum seekers and illegals in this country, a lot of the trouble comes from kids with nothing better to do and have no respect for anything or anyone.
But, how annoyed would you be if your area, your facilities and the way you live your life was affected i.e not feeling safe to walk alone at night. in some cases this is no more than the fear of crime generally, but should you be unlucky enough to live in an area which has taken in and are housing shed loads (compared to overall population in the first place) of assylum seekers and illegals you would be fearful. your overall way of life would be changed overnight. lets, for a moment, look at it from a new point of view.
lets say there is a town where pepole live day to day, nothing particularly fascinating about it at all. all of a sudden people from different nationalities start arriving, don't speak the language and hang around all day because they have nothing to do (suggestions to combat this on another of my posting, which hardly anybody has picked up on), you have to walk past everyday with your children to get to school or just to get to the bus stop. we have had this problem with british yobs as well. everybody agreed it was intimidating, but because this was not aimed at another race, nationality it is not deemed unfit to feel this way. can you honestly say nochola (there you go, happy now) that you would not feel in the slightest bit intimidated by them. that you would walk up to them and try to converse with them. that you would not get fed up with it. if you wouldn't feel anything except acceptance then maybe you are a better person then those calling from the anti side of this debate. obviously if you would have no problem with the local park being taken up by bored men standing around all day then you have the compasion of mother theresa.

i have given information on my background, the area where i came from and why i have my opinion. yes, did suggest that maybe we come from different backgrounds. It would be interesting to know some of your background and life now (asked in friendly and cutreous tones) it would be interesting to compare to see if we disagree because of how and where we grew up, work, live.

Yes a lot of doctors, nurses, auxilairies come from abroad, has anybody here said anything against migrants who live work and pay taxes. i think not. anybody and i mean anybody working in education or nhs deserves a medal.
i cannot see the reason you have a problem when emotional issues are raised. just because they are emotional doesn't mean they are less political.
i have never said that this county is sh*t, it's not, it has just lost its way.

Nichola i haven't challenged your fact and figures because i dont see the point. you get you info from one place and i another, that would be taking on the newspapers and governments jobs.
we obviously see money used in different lights. all that money, and yes it is a lot of money could be used in much needed ways. research for one and mental health which, i believe gets the lowest funding, leading to care in the community which even the medical proffesion has a problem with.

it could even pay for (i say through gritted teeth) finding solutions to the problem with young louts who willfully cause trouble.what this would be i have no idea i am not a social worker, judge or policeman, who i am sure would be able to give many areas which could be improved upon. you may say why would we give money to those who have had all the oppertunities that the uk can give them whilst excluding people from assylum or illegal entry backgrounds when they have risked their lives to get here. because, they are our problem, no one else's. if we do not challenge the way our youth is going what is the future, which is, funnily enough my origional question.

Actually nichola, i told you you had support before your 'fast and figures' input. you were the one saying it was one sided to the anti group. but, it did spur a responce so good on ya.
also nichola my life is not sad. it is very happy indeed. you say i have made assumptions, well, that one takes the biscuit. just because i am not happy with the way the uk is going does not mean i sit hear hanging my head. i have a charmed life compared to some. but that is not my fault.

louise

just for nichola. i do not want to go into another issue at all. this question is asked purely out of wonder and has no other hidden agenda as to raising other beliefs or oppinion (this one is enough don't you think). did not want to pm you, i have no idea how it would be taken.
could you please clarify for me when you said about the newspaper debating issues on illegals & assylums, at the end you put paedophilia. just out of curiosity, just to help me see where you are coming from could you answer that one. you can pm if you like, i know how things are picked up on and do not want to confuse the issues on this thread. thanking you louise.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 6:25 am
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Louise,
Always nice to open a post with a personal attack! Sets the friendly tone from the start!

I must admit that if we can keep the comments strictly as comments and move away form making it personal, to me anyway, it would make sense. Afterall these are just opinions.

Sounds like your youth was pretty tough. I feel that people (in general) do make huge assumptions about the back ground of others simply because of our views and also the language we use. I guess it is a class thing. By this I mean that in order to hold certain views or opinions, or to use a particular tone or language, then you must have had a certain upbringing.

[QUOTE=Geordie George]
Asylum seekers are Britain's problem. Because many of them come from situations that Britain has helped create - think Afghanistan or Iraq. We have a moral and legal responsibility to people we've displaced.][QUOTE]

You are right that the Asylum problem in this country is indeed Britains problem. I would question the observation regaring the ethnicity of these immigrants. Of course I dont have the statistis and can only speak from personal experience, but my observation is that most of the migrants I have encountered are either Serbian, Croation or Polish. I dont doubt though that we do have individuals from Iraq and Afgahanistan. Of course you may be commenting on Britains collusion with America and its constant "world policeman" role and as such the consequences of this intervention is the numbers of migrants we now see.

All the best G
Old Apr 14th 2005, 6:44 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Hi G,

No, no, no! My youth was fine! I didn't set it out to be a downer, just tried to tell it honestly, without adding a lot of melodrama designed to pull heartstrings! It's just the way it was ...

I agree about the use of language though and how views can be pinned on that. I write posh, 'cause I understand what grammar's for, like (more or less!). Don't mean I am!

And yes, I was rather referring to the 'world police' role that Britain and America have appointed themselves in.

Anyway, Mr GG appears, as if by magic, to drag me off t'pub. Hurray!

Later tater,
Nichola

[QUOTE=gsb]

I must admit that if we can keep the comments strictly as comments and move away form making it personal, to me anyway, it would make sense. Afterall these are just opinions.

Sounds like your youth was pretty tough. I feel that people (in general) do make huge assumptions about the back ground of others simply because of our views and also the language we use. I guess it is a class thing. By this I mean that in order to hold certain views or opinions, or to use a particular tone or language, then you must have had a certain upbringing.

[QUOTE=Geordie George]
Asylum seekers are Britain's problem. Because many of them come from situations that Britain has helped create - think Afghanistan or Iraq. We have a moral and legal responsibility to people we've displaced.]

You are right that the Asylum problem in this country is indeed Britains problem. I would question the observation regaring the ethnicity of these immigrants. Of course I dont have the statistis and can only speak from personal experience, but my observation is that most of the migrants I have encountered are either Serbian, Croation or Polish. I dont doubt though that we do have individuals from Iraq and Afgahanistan. Of course you may be commenting on Britains collusion with America and its constant "world policeman" role and as such the consequences of this intervention is the numbers of migrants we now see.

All the best G

Last edited by Geordie George; Apr 14th 2005 at 6:47 am. Reason: It's posted strangely ... What happened there, then?
Old Apr 14th 2005, 11:35 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello nichola,

i do not know why you assumed i was expecting any other answer than the one you gave. maybe you think that i am incapable of seeing anything other than the have's and have not's. not the case. your experiences as a child/young adult and mine would suggest that they are the reasons we see things differently. your family had the help and support you absolutely, positively should have had. mine on the other hond did not. my dad lost his business as a scaffolder, the only trade he had ever known. when he went for help explaining that we needed a little assistance whilst he did the knowledge to become a taxi driver he was told he would not get help whilst training until the final three months. so, with no other option he was forced to take a lnog distance job for 2 wks a month and do his knowledge in the other 2. the effect of this. i hardly saw my father at all in the 2 1/2 yrs he trained and another 2 yrs whilst he worked his nadgers off clearing debt that had accumilated in that time. no emotional sob story just the facts.

nichola, as for not respecting of your name. the first was a typing error. the second was trying to bring a little light relief to what had become a tense and quite frankly tedious exchange of words between you and myself. i shall not bother anymore.

louise
Old Apr 14th 2005, 11:54 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

I think the meaningful part of this discussion has gone as far as it is going to.