Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Hard Goodbyes

The Hard Goodbyes

Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:18 pm
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold
Default The Hard Goodbyes

The goodbyes are getting steadily harder to deal with.

A few weeks ago I left work and a few hearty handshakes, pats on backs, pint buying and general joviality all round. I had a good send off and a curry afterwards was all a good laugh.

Last week, we saw close family friends for the last time, lots of drink, totally different experience. Solemn faces, one or two tears, but generally forward looking and planning to see each other again sometime in 2006.

Tonight, Sunday dinner at the folks, probably the last time we'll all be round the table. Bloody hell, it was as if someone had died.

We are definitely taking a taxi to the airport on Thursday to avoid all that as much as possible, all booked up with Singapore arriving in our new life on Saturday.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Hard Goodbyes

Originally Posted by <")))><

A few weeks ago I left work and a few hearty handshakes, pats on backs, pint buying and general joviality all round. I had a good send off and a curry afterwards was all a good laugh.

Last week, we saw close family friends for the last time, lots of drink, totally different experience. Solemn faces, one or two tears, but generally forward looking and planning to see each other again sometime in 2006.

Tonight, Sunday dinner at the folks, probably the last time we'll all be round the table. Bloody hell, it was as if someone had died.

We are definitely taking a taxi to the airport on Thursday to avoid all that as much as possible, all booked up with Singapore arriving in our new life on Saturday.
You will be ok, beleive me, good luck to you, Denise
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold

We're off in the morning, so know exactly how you feel. We're sure it will all be worth it in the end. Good luck
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Izzy
We're off in the morning, so know exactly how you feel. We're sure it will all be worth it in the end. Good luck
It will be ok, have a safe journey, good luck to you, Denise
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:02 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck with EVERYTHING!
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future

A few weeks ago I left work and a few Last week, we saw close family friends for the last time, lots of drink, totally different experience. Solemn faces, one or two tears, but generally forward looking and planning to see each other again sometime in 2006.

Wish you the very best of luck. Everything will be just fine.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

its not something i'm looking forward too one bit!!

good luck to you all and have a safe journey

debs x
Old Nov 28th 2005, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

caroledouglas has a spectacular aura aboutcaroledouglas has a spectacular aura aboutcaroledouglas has a spectacular aura about

I think you are doing the right think getting taxi to airport. We actually booked in to the airport hotel the night before. Saying the goodbyes is the worst thing I have ever had to do. But once you have left the house etc you will all be fine. My parents were in a terrible state but they said the same as me. Once we were away they were better.
Good luck and a safe journey
Carole
Old Nov 28th 2005, 10:31 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

I'm dreading the goodbye's already And I'm not leaving for another 9 months.
Good Luck to both Fish and Izzy.
Julie.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 9:28 am
Just Joined

scared has a brilliant futurescared has a brilliant futurescared has a brilliant futurescared has a brilliant futurescared has a brilliant futurescared has a brilliant future

I'm not sure that I can do the goodby bits anymore! I'm finding it really hard at the moment dealing with everything to do with the move.
I need some reassurance!The shippers are coming next week and I feel awful! I think it's just blind panic but I feel sick and seem to spend my whole life crying or trying not to at the moment. There are good days and bad days. We both have jobs to go to and have spent the last year or so planning all of this. The panic has set in only in the last couple of weeks. I hope that I will be ok when we get there. I've looked at other peoples messages and they've recommended trying the happy pills. What happens though if they aren't enough to get me through the next few weeks? We seem to have so much to do and no time. What will happen if I don't like it when I get there? I know we should give it a go but my sense of adventure is causing me great greif now. My husband is far more positive than me and I wish that I was as calm as he is. I think that I would feel better if we were definitely going for a limited time period - say one or even two years rather than it being open ended. Realistically I don't want to sat forever but would like to give it a go. Everything just seems a big deal at the moment. My friends are being great as is my husband but I think that even he is being worn down by the way I feel now. I just don't think I can do the goodbyes on top of everything else!
Advice and reassurance needed! Sorry, don't think I've helped you!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 13th 2005, 9:55 am
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of

hi, i am sure there are many many people on here past and present who have been through or who are going through exactly the same. Afterall we are only human and some worry more than others (i myself am a "natural born worrier" as my nan used to say!!) anyway, we havent even got our visa, and i am already stressing to the max about shipping, moving, what we going to do when we get there, how will we cope, how can i leave my friends who have supported me through the worst periods in my life!! All questions we are bound to ask ourselves, i am going give you advice and try and take my own advice, try to stay positive and focussed, make a list of the things you need to do and tick them off one by one, try to relax, take a day trip or visit to the pub if appropriate, just some time not thinking about it helps! (i know this is difficult but worth a try!) lastly, you are about to embark on one of the biggest, life changing journeys of your life, you only get one shot in life, and you have the opportunity to take it, not many do! whether you stress or not, things will eventually fall into place!
good luck
vb2

Originally Posted by scared
I'm not sure that I can do the goodby bits anymore! I'm finding it really hard at the moment dealing with everything to do with the move.
I need some reassurance!The shippers are coming next week and I feel awful! I think it's just blind panic but I feel sick and seem to spend my whole life crying or trying not to at the moment. There are good days and bad days. We both have jobs to go to and have spent the last year or so planning all of this. The panic has set in only in the last couple of weeks. I hope that I will be ok when we get there. I've looked at other peoples messages and they've recommended trying the happy pills. What happens though if they aren't enough to get me through the next few weeks? We seem to have so much to do and no time. What will happen if I don't like it when I get there? I know we should give it a go but my sense of adventure is causing me great greif now. My husband is far more positive than me and I wish that I was as calm as he is. I think that I would feel better if we were definitely going for a limited time period - say one or even two years rather than it being open ended. Realistically I don't want to sat forever but would like to give it a go. Everything just seems a big deal at the moment. My friends are being great as is my husband but I think that even he is being worn down by the way I feel now. I just don't think I can do the goodbyes on top of everything else!
Old Dec 13th 2005, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Oakie will become famous soon enoughOakie will become famous soon enough

Yep, I also totally agree with the taxis. You cant say goodbye to people in that environment, blubbering at the check in point .

I think (and it sounds funny) that the goodbyes should be the lowest point - once you have done that and got the hard parts out of the way it should be about the excitement of going and the adventure of travelling all that way.

Interestingly, I didnt think it was going to be too hard, but my little sis went away last month and it meant that would be the last time I saw her for a long time and it, er,,,,, wasn't easy. But, at least its one less to do later on!!!
Old Dec 13th 2005, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by scared

We moved out here 2 weeks yesterday. The goodbyes were hard, but you just have to tell yourself that it is not a final goodbye, but simply a see you later rather than sooner. I was OK until it came to any hugs and then I lost it, but so did the others, and at that stage, it is acceptable to wave and go, laughing it off. My dad came to the airport with us which I thought would be OK as we are both matter of fact sort of people and he will definitely come and see us. Big mistake, it was awful. We all ended up sobbing and it was not pleasant sitting in the departure lounge trying to comfort my 8 year old whilst being really upset myself.

One thing I did was sent, letters and cards to my closest family timed to arrive the day after I went. These said anything that I had been unable to. Lots of tears again - my dad admitted that during the first 2 days, he cried everytime someone asked about me, but you just have to think of it as the hormones going a bit crazy. Make sure you have the facilities to get on-line as soon as you get there - and text a lot as well. You will want to feel as if you can get in touch easily. We found out that most McDonalds are wi-fi spots if that helps once you get here. We also have SKYPE which is a really cheap way of getting in touch. It really is not that bad (at teh moment anyway !) Good luck, PM me if you like