Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any idea how i can overcome the big blue one!!

Any idea how i can overcome the big blue one!!

Old Feb 18th 2006, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of
Default Any idea how i can overcome the big blue one!!

I love living in Australia, Due to the fact you can do more outside than in Scotland. But i would love to be able to go in the sea and swim and just generally Piddle about, But since i have been about 15 i am totally terrified of it, Would love to one day be able to go snorkelling and see what its all about, Anyone know of anything how i can overcome this stupid phobia of the big ocean??

Cheers
Suzanne
Old Feb 18th 2006, 5:08 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any idea how i can overcome the big blue one!!

Originally Posted by svinnes
I love living in Australia, Due to the fact you can do more outside than in Scotland. But i would love to be able to go in the sea and swim and just generally Piddle about, But since i have been about 15 i am totally terrified of it, Would love to one day be able to go snorkelling and see what its all about, Anyone know of anything how i can overcome this stupid phobia of the big ocean??

Cheers
Suzanne
Take a day trip over to Tanglalooma on Moreton Island. The beach there is beautiful. Fish hang around the jetty there, very close to the beach so you could just wade out with your snorkel at first and dunk your head in! When you feel braver you could snorkel properly. Then in the evening you can watch the dolphin feeding.

I've been involved with boats and the sea since I was toddler but I'm still not brave enough to snorkel, so I know where you're coming from.

Jane
Old Feb 18th 2006, 5:13 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

are you Ok in water? ie a pool? Is it the waves you find unsteadying, or being out of your depth? Fear of not knowing what may hurt you or (more likely) not?

My oh is not too keen either. A few years back when in the Maldives I got him in the water with snorkelling kit on. Got him to wear a shortie (to give him boyancy and also protects against the sun) off a beach that the water was shallow and v calm with some coral around and sandy bed to allow him to put his feet down (on the sand = you don't touch the coral) if he felt unsure.

Maybe you could try diving clubs to see if they have a snorkelling club, as a member could take you in the water and have local knowledge on best beach, conditions and tell you something about what you might see.

All the best overcoming your phobia
Old Feb 18th 2006, 7:05 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Suzanne
Yes - contact your local PADI dive centre. You will be able to find one in the yellow pages. They teach snorkelling courses as well as diving and you usually find them able to teach you on a one to one basis and are very patient indeed.

There is nothing quite like having a professional teach you who understands your fear and you are there to overcome it and you will find it really cheap too.

Have fun - the ocean is a wonderful place.

Daren - PADI Dive Instructor
Old Feb 18th 2006, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

hi ,i have a fear of the water,in fact i have a fear of being high up in a aeroplane too.(pathetic i know)the aeroplane one i can cope wih by drinking alcohol,cant quiet do the same in the sea.but i do think that it is the fear of the unknown.many years ago i went out in the ocean with my then boyfriend.,i couldnt swim.had told him i could so he took me out in a cattamaran(sp).i was terrified ,but dont ask but as soon as we tipped it over i was fine.!!!!!but i m still scared . :scared: irish
Old Feb 18th 2006, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of

Thanks ever so much for all the advice, I know i have got to overcome this, Once and for all i tell myself. I think it stems from my brother being in the hospital, And there was a lassie in icu that kept screaming out of her all the time, My mum asked the nurse what was wrong with her and she supposedly got bit by something in the sea, And ever since then i have crapped myself and its a shame for my kids because they always want me in the water and i sit really far back. I am gonna look up the yellow pages tomorrow and get booked in.

Cheers Suzanne
Old Feb 18th 2006, 10:54 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

I see you're in Brisbane. Have you been to the man-made beach at South Bank? If you're OK in a pool / still water then give this place a go. You can get used to the water and sand in a totally safe environment before braving the sea for real
Old Feb 18th 2006, 11:00 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Suzanne

Oh I can relate to this one!

I couldn't swim until I went to Australia and was terrified. We booked a trip to the Reef and were told to put life vests on and given our snorkelling stuff.

It took me half an hour just to wade up to my knees and the tour guide encouraged me to kneel down and breathe through my snorkelling gear.

Its so hard to accept that yes, you can breathe under water, but doing it in knee deep water was the best as you know you can get out easily.

It was when the tropical fish came right up to my face that I forgot how scared I was.

I still don't like nor swim in water above my chest, but I would go snorkelling again.

There is a whole new world under the sea with fish and marine life you have never seen.

If you trust in your tour guide, tell them your fears and take the plunge to allow yourself to explore it, you will not look back I promise you.

Its not a stupid phobia, you are scared and thats normal, but you don't have to be scared for ever.

And when you do get over the initial stages of your fear, its bloody fantastic.

Good luck.