Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Great offer from Melbourne, but... great enough..?

Great offer from Melbourne, but... great enough..?

Old Apr 23rd 2012, 7:57 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great offer from Melbourne, but... great enough..?

The only reason then to come now is if the chance wasn't going to be there in the future and you end up regretting what you didn't do!

BB
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Trailing_Hubby will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Luthien
Monash uni and CSIRO are in Clayton. They run shuttle buses from Huntingdale station. Takes about 35 minutes from Flinders St to uni.

Lots of skiing in Victoria http://www.visitvictoria.com/Activit...es/Skiing.aspx

If you go to Falls Creek you can stop at Brown Brother winery at milawa or do a Winery walkabout weekend in Rutherglen. Beechworth is worth a visit for the bakery.
http://www.brownbrothers.com.au/ourplace/cellardoor

http://www.beechworthbakery.com

If you are looking for things to do in the city The Wheeler Centre run regular debates and Melbourne Uni run a public lecture series
Some great stuff there, thanks - I want sweet yummoes!!!
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
The only reason then to come now is if the chance wasn't going to be there in the future and you end up regretting what you didn't do!

BB
Absolutely. Mrs TH isn't even looking properly and she has had this offer and potentially one in Europe, so there is no reason to believe the opportunity won't come up again. She met some people in recruitment when she was in Sydney and hasn't sent her cv over yet, so who knows what will happen when she is going full tilt at it.

I firmly believe that you shouldn't regret the decisions you make. Everything is clearer in hindsight, and there's no point second guessing stuff. We've given this one plenty of thought anyway.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 8:57 am
Excessively Diverted

Luthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond repute

all the very best wishes . I am sure whichever offer you accept the future will be very bright for you both. Australia will always be here
Old Apr 24th 2012, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Well, this is all very stressful... Mrs TH worried we would regret it if we didn't go. Hard to weigh up the chance to try something new over opportunities in London or closer to home...
Old Apr 24th 2012, 1:01 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trailing_Hubby
Well, this is all very stressful... Mrs TH worried we would regret it if we didn't go. Hard to weigh up the chance to try something new over opportunities in London or closer to home...
You will only ever regret what you didn't do, not what you did.

BB
Old Apr 24th 2012, 1:03 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
You will only ever regret what you didn't do, not what you did.

BB
I think if you murdered someone by accident you could regret it. Just saying....
Old Apr 24th 2012, 1:04 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I think if you murdered someone by accident you could regret it. Just saying....
I think you and I are not talking about the same subject......

BB
Old Apr 24th 2012, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Maybe if we'd murdered someone it would give us an incentive to go

Doesn't feel right. There's every chance that we will get an opportunity the same, if not better, in the future so we could still make it over.

This is a great forum though, very helpful.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe if we'd murdered someone it would give us an incentive to go

Doesn't feel right. There's every chance that we will get an opportunity the same, if not better, in the future so we could still make it over.

This is a great forum though, very helpful.
Trust your instincts.

I don't buy into the "only regret what you didn't do" stuff, every decision is doing something. You could regret not going, equally you could regret going.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 3:56 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

So, hello! First post, but have been lurking for a while. We are in a fortunate position and are lucky to be so, and I hope this won’t come across as flippant, but I would very much be interested to see people’s thoughts on where we are at the moment.

Bit of background – we live in London, and have a combined salary of a shade under £100k. We like it here, but have always said that we would be interested in working abroad should the opportunity arise. We don’t have that burning desire to move to Australia that some have but would love to go if we got the chance. We wouldn’t be emigrating as such, more working in a different place for a while. If it ended up permanent then so be it, but we have no kids and are pretty flexible with where we go. I’ve never been to Oz, but Mrs TH was there for a month working. I’d be comfortable moving without visiting, aware that there is no land of milk and honey and that there’ll be just as many problems there as the UK – we have our eyes open!

The offer is for Mrs TH, who currently has a much better job than me – about $120k + car + super + a flight back for her a year. The job is Clayton way, so first thoughts are to rent a flat in the CBD (some of the ones on St Kilda Road look nice on realestate) and take the train out. She loves St Kilda and the areas around there, so that’s also an option. Now, I know that this “2.5x UK salary” thing is hotly debated, but it’s obvious that simply using the exchange rate as a comparison doesn’t work. If we move we want to have the same standard of living, if not better, than we have here i.e nice flat, eating out, travelling, putting money aside etc. My first thoughts are these:

1. The offer isn’t high enough for Mrs TH. I read in a similar thread yesterday that $120k would be much like £40k in London. I know it’s all subjective and everyone spends differently, but this would effectively be a cut in “spending power.”
2. Bit worried about jobs for me. I have an ok job here, but not anything that would get me a visa on my own. I see lots of threads from people in Melbourne struggling to find work, and although I can do any number of things I think I might struggle to find something in what seems like a worsening job market. We could obviously live on the wife’s salary if it comes down to it, as we’d hardly been in poverty, and I’m sure I’d have no problem working in a bar or something, but it doesn’t really fit in with the intention to do better than we are now.
3. Not sure what the visa is. Assume it’s a 457, but we obviously need to confirm.

Further complicating matters is that she may also get an offer from a company based in Europe, which would be considerably more money. Obviously not as interesting a place to live as Melbourne, and a foreign language to make things harder to settle into, but I could go skiing every weekend…

I hope this isn’t coming across as pretentious. It’s a lot of money, but what we don’t want to do is come across and find out that we are worse off, which I think might be the case here. We know we would love living somewhere new and would embrace everything Melbourne has to offer, but with it being such an expensive place to live we want to get as much info as possible before making the decision.

Thoughts are welcome, even if it’s just to tell me it’s not all about money...

Look at my thread i did the other week, for us the monthly costs , i would say are accurate and we are a family of 4 living in glen waverely, so am sure you could do it no probs. All and all, I feel its quite a generous budget we have given ourselves, am sure we could still cut costs .......but baby steps, lol!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=754924
Old Apr 25th 2012, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Trust your instincts.

I don't buy into the "only regret what you didn't do" stuff, every decision is doing something. You could regret not going, equally you could regret going.
Exactly. Said no now anyway. We can go back and have another chat with them should we change our minds at some point in the future.

Margaret3 - Good to have stuff broken down to that level of detail. Best way to budget really.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 10:29 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. Said no now anyway. We can go back and have another chat with them should we change our minds at some point in the future.

Margaret3 - Good to have stuff broken down to that level of detail. Best way to budget really.
Good to see someone doing the sensible thing for once....there's too many 'you only regret the things you don't do' ers out there who believe they can live here on a can of beans and a glass of water a day after accepting a 50% pay cut from their UK job!
Old Apr 30th 2012, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

rld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud of

Cheers guys, interesting responses. Interesting that most people seem pretty positive, but I put the same thread on another forum and there were a few more people recommending staying in Europe.

As it stands at the moment we are saying no. If our ambition was to move out then it would be a no brainer, but although we would love to have the opportunity we don't want to make a compromise in terms of what we earn. We are both at the stage of our careers where our next jobs will be a step up, and if we go to Melbourne it will be sideways at best.

I assume I'm coming across as money obsessed, which isn't fully the case and it's a real shame to have an offer and not take it up, but we have to think long term.
To give you a comp, I was on around 100 in London and find 180K in Melbourne somewhat similar. I get the 2.2 ratios here and have been here 6 weeks - the key seems to be if you drink heavy (beer, wine, etc here can be pretty bad, easy to have a 100 dollar bar tab on a heavy night out with work mates) and dont adjust your eating habits. Certain products here are terrible - I've seen a 2 liter of Coke as high as 6 bucks and as low as 2.5 on sale. Sale prices in grocery stores can make a big difference.

Personally I find 180K similar to 100K in London without a car and living in the CBD (vs say Canary Wharf), but I've adjusted the food I eat and when I shop if something seems a rip off and is not on sale, I buy something else. You can also certainly go a few days here spending very little if you eat at home often and bring food in - I tend to do this as well, even though my salary is decent I see no reason to pay 17 bucks for a sorry excuse for a sandwhich in Docklands - overall I dont think it is as bad as people imply here IF you adjust and IF you are willing to eat at home a bit more vs London / UK (and you should, the food here is pretty poor compared to other major cities)
Old Apr 30th 2012, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rld1177
To give you a comp, I was on around 100 in London and find 180K in Melbourne somewhat similar. I get the 2.2 ratios here and have been here 6 weeks - the key seems to be if you drink heavy (beer, wine, etc here can be pretty bad, easy to have a 100 dollar bar tab on a heavy night out with work mates) and dont adjust your eating habits. Certain products here are terrible - I've seen a 2 liter of Coke as high as 6 bucks and as low as 2.5 on sale. Sale prices in grocery stores can make a big difference.

Personally I find 180K similar to 100K in London without a car and living in the CBD (vs say Canary Wharf), but I've adjusted the food I eat and when I shop if something seems a rip off and is not on sale, I buy something else. You can also certainly go a few days here spending very little if you eat at home often and bring food in - I tend to do this as well, even though my salary is decent I see no reason to pay 17 bucks for a sorry excuse for a sandwhich in Docklands - overall I dont think it is as bad as people imply here IF you adjust and IF you are willing to eat at home a bit more vs London / UK (and you should, the food here is pretty poor compared to other major cities)
Shame the booze is so expensive. I love my wine, and it seems silly that you can buy Australian wine cheaper in Sainsburys... Not like France where they keep the best stuff back and sell it cheaply in the local supermarket. Mrs TH found bottle shops hilarious, although I guess it's much the same as the States.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.