Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Great Australian Property Swindle

The Great Australian Property Swindle

Old Apr 16th 2011, 7:00 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Great Australian Property Swindle

Originally Posted by Steve2009
Thanks for that nugget, I was curious but not curious enough to do the leg work to find out why.
I did that from memory so it may be unreliable. If it's wrong I'm sure someone will come along with some source in the near future.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Ireland had 5 years between when we should have taken our medicine (2002) and when we got taken down (2007). In that light your 2 year time frame from now looks appropriate, i.e. 4 years from the last hiccups in the market, .
Old Apr 16th 2011, 7:05 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Ireland had 5 years between when we should have taken our medicine (2002) and when we got taken down (2007). In that light your 2 year time frame from now looks appropriate, i.e. 4 years from the last hiccups in the market, .
Similar to the UK. It was all doom and gloom about 2003/4 but the crash came later.

Before Ireland joined the Euro I thought the housing situation was going nuts. Adding low interest rates to that was always going to be a disaster in the making.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rambi
I'm not sure I could call it. It was principally aimed at providing stimulus to the economy rather than to boost housing. Housing at that time didn't need boosting whereas the economy needed protecting. As the economy faired quite well it could be said that it was good policy. If it was bad policy I think it's too early to call. If we have a serious housing market crash across the whole of Aus in the next 2 years then I would be prepared to call it bad policy.
Sorry but housing did need a boost mainly as it is a very large asset held by banks in Australia, in order to make Aussie banks look credit worthy the government put money into buying them via the first home vendors grant. That's about the only reason they kept their AA ratings and allowed them to keep borrowing on the money markets.

Also I call it first home vendors grant because it helped vendors of properties to first home buyers more than the home buyers. All it did for them was to allow them to leverage it up into more debt. Not a great outcome with increasing interest rates.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by isgraham
Sorry but housing did need a boost mainly as it is a very large asset held by banks in Australia, in order to make Aussie banks look credit worthy the government put money into buying them via the first home vendors grant. That's about the only reason they kept their AA ratings and allowed them to keep borrowing on the money markets.
I think Rambi's point was that it was a financial or economic need rather than a housing need. If that's the case then you seem to be in agreement on this point.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 8:29 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I think Rambi's point was that it was a financial or economic need rather than a housing need. If that's the case then you seem to be in agreement on this point.
My opinion is that using the housing market to stoke an economy, which is danger due to over exuberant housing lending, albeit in other markets, is saving up trouble for later. There were as an opportunity for the housing market to take a much needed breather, not saying it had to collapse, but instead it was encouraged to keep on inflating. It's now very interest rate sensitive so we'll see how it pans out.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

I would agree with that and I think there are quite a few others who would agree too. It seems obvious now that the government knew what they were doing with the boost and those who took 'advantage' of it were used to boost the economy.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 9:21 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Also I call it first home vendors grant because it helped vendors of properties to first home buyers more than the home buyers. All it did for them was to allow them to leverage it up into more debt. Not a great outcome with increasing interest rates.
Yep.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 9:24 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by bcworld
My opinion is that using the housing market to stoke an economy, which is danger due to over exuberant housing lending, albeit in other markets, is saving up trouble for later. There were as an opportunity for the housing market to take a much needed breather, not saying it had to collapse, but instead it was encouraged to keep on inflating. It's now very interest rate sensitive so we'll see how it pans out.
I agree with that. I've never been convinced by a country's GDP that has been inflated with people buying more and more expensive houses.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

So how come all big 4 banks retained their AA rating just recently then?
Old Apr 16th 2011, 12:21 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Boom, boom - wasn't that the catchphrase of a pommy children's TV character?
Old Apr 16th 2011, 12:27 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by Amazulu
And Will Smith just before shaking the room. Now that would cause a house crash.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 12:28 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Basil Brush?
Old Apr 16th 2011, 12:33 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Basil Brush?
That's the doggie - Basil Brush!
Old Apr 16th 2011, 12:37 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom!! by the Vengaboys................. is a pretty shit song

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.