Reload this Page >

The Great Australian Property Swindle

The Great Australian Property Swindle

Old Dec 7th 2010, 4:04 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Great Australian Property Swindle

Originally Posted by swmbo63
This would work for me as long as it is you OWNING them and not paying the bank for a mortgage to own them.
How do most people get to own their house... surely by taking out a mortgage? For most people this is the only, practical way, available to them.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
How do most people get to own their house... surely by taking out a mortgage? For most people this is the only, practical way, available to them.
I think (s)he's referring to buy to let and positive gearing.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

swmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2009
Correct And it's she

Last edited by swmbo63; Dec 7th 2010 at 4:14 am.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 4:18 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swmbo63
This would work for me as long as it is you OWNING them and not paying the bank for a mortgage to own them.
Just wondering, do you have any issues with the principal of paying a large sum of money to a bank over the course of 30yrs?
Old Dec 7th 2010, 4:24 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

No I'm not buying to let, I bought my house a few yr ago now I'm moving interstate but as property prices are booming in my area and rentals are impossible to come by I would be crazy to sell it. I don't like living in rented so I will buy another house with the equity I have and the rental income from my current house.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kelli28
No I'm not buying to let,
Once you rent your house out it becomes an investment. Your purpose of holding it is no longer for housing utility. It's not Buy-to-let as such, more hold-to-let.

As long as the the yield looks attractive I agree that you would be crazy to sell it, until you find someone willing to pay over the odds. As long as it yields you're value investing, once you refuse an offer that is detached from yields you're getting into the realm of greater fool investing.

It's your decision to buy in your new area that looks less clear cut to me. That is subjective though and depends on personal values.

Last edited by Steve2009; Dec 7th 2010 at 4:31 am.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 4:34 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Once you rent your house out it becomes an investment. Your purpose of holding it is no longer for housing utility. It's not Buy-to-let as such, more hold-to-let.

As long as the the yield looks attractive I agree that you would be crazy to sell it, until you find someone willing to pay over the odds. As long as it yields you're value investing, once you refuse an offer that is detached from yields you're getting into the realm of greater fool investing.

It's your decision to buy in your new area that looks less clear cut to me. That is subjective though and depends on personal values.
I have to check but as far as I'm aware if I don't use the equity from my house I'll earn too much and end up paying a lot of tax.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

I have to check but as far as I'm aware if I don't use the equity from my house I'll earn too much and end up paying a lot of tax.
Are you talking about re-financing your existing property to buy a new PPR?
Old Dec 7th 2010, 4:38 am

Are you talking about re-financing your existing property to buy a new PPR?
yup
Old Dec 7th 2010, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

yup
You'd have to consult a tax advisor. It sounds messy.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 4:44 am

You'd have to consult a tax advisor. It sounds messy.
I have an appointment with the bank this week, will have to make an appointment to see tax advisor next week.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

I have an appointment with the bank this week, will have to make an appointment to see tax advisor next week.
I thought I recalled a similar thread coming up before, it turns out we both posted on it. A reminder here for you. It doesn't look good, but it might be worth consulting a professional all the same.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

TKline is just really niceTKline is just really niceTKline is just really niceTKline is just really niceTKline is just really niceTKline is just really niceTKline is just really niceTKline is just really nice

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Steve Keen doesn't have a vested interest, that is, he's not an economist who works for Westpac, Commonwealth, NAB, etc who HAVE a vested interest in keeping optimism high because they rely on consumers borrowing more debt. Keen might perhaps want to make a name for himself by making far out predictions but I don't see Keen pushing books or public appearances or meeting/greeting the media. He gives the impression to me that he's just an economist because of the love of it, he doesn't embrace celebrity.
Steve Keen had an enlightening interview on ABC show "The Drum" yesterday. You can see a link to it here:
http://www.abc.net.au/iview/?series=...series/2955433

Cheers,

Tom Kline.

Last edited by Sue; Dec 7th 2010 at 12:09 pm. Reason: Link changed to go straight to the Drum page. No point linking to a thread elsewhere which links to the Drum. Thanks
Old Dec 8th 2010, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
When I rented it never really felt like home though, having to ask permission to hang a picture etc. and not being able to make any big changes to my "home"
Also the fact that changes in landlords circumstances, brought about by a property price crash for example, could result in having to move on.
All in all, I've always believed that owning was the better/ more secure option, regardless of financial arguments
No kidding. The last inspection, even though we worked for days to check off every item on the inspection prep list now sent to all tenants, the agent said it wasn't good enough and wrote in our report that in her opinion the all of the blinds could be cleaned a second time (apparently, spending two days scrubbing all 24 sets of them wasn't enough).

The retic stopped working completely three weeks ago. We've phoned and sent emails, but they don't seem in a hurry to fix it. The agent told us just to hand water everything (all lawn and beds on this corner block) until it's repaired.

On the bright side, the tap that was leaking for fourteen months was finally fixed one week ago!

Honestly, there's more to renting than just financial aspects. When there's this much aggravation, it's a real incentive to get your own place, if you're in a position to be able to do so.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

I don't worry too much about inspections. What's the worst that will happen? The RTA is there to protect tenants.

Occasionally you have to fix things yourself in rentals which is a pain in the ass, but it's better than paying double for a mortgage in my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.