Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Great Australian Property Swindle

The Great Australian Property Swindle

Old Dec 5th 2010, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Great Australian Property Swindle

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Before I do that, how about YOU backing up your statements ...
I stated an opinion. Your own figures (dubious as they may be without proper citation or source) would suggest this is the case, except for the seemingly disfunctional unit market in Western Sydney. Your figures also only cover a ten year period which is a microscopic study where property is concerned.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Some however, do have the money, in fact more do than there are "suitable" properties in those areas, consequently, the prices in those areas have risen faster than the less desirable areas.
This does not mean there is a shortage of dwellings in these areas, only a surplus of money. If the money supply contracts then it is very possible that the supply of available dwellings will increase.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 5:59 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Steve2009
It was YOU who used the word 'proved', thereby implying that there was a rule or something to be 'proved'.
have you forgotten that you said this first... (or are there two of you on the same account ? )
One region does not prove a rule.
thereby implying that there was a rule or something to be 'proved'.

OR... I used "Proved", in my reply to that, and you split hairs because you never used THAT word, you used PROVE

Anyway...

As commonly known by most people...

Inner, Middle and Outer Rings of Sydney
http://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/LinkC...language=en-AU

• Inner Ring
11 LGAs within 5 kms of the Sydney CBD: Ashfield, Botany Bay, Lane Cove, Leichhardt, Marrickville, Mosman, North Sydney, Randwick, Sydney City, Waverely and Woollahra.

• Middle Ring
15 LGAs between 5-20 kms from the Sydney CBD: Auburn, Bankstown, Burwood, Canada Bay, Canterbury, Hunters Hill, Hurstville, Kogarah, Ku-ring-gai, Manly, Parramatta, Rockdale, Ryde, Strathfield and Willoughby.

• Outer Ring
17 LGAs beyond 20 km from the Sydney CBD: Blacktown, Blue Mountains, Camden, Campbelltown, Fairfield, Gosford, Hawkesbury, Holroyd, Hornsby, Liverpool, Penrith, Pittwater, Sutherland, The Hills, Warringah, Wollondilly and Wyong.

And the data was from RPData Property Pulse

Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:01 am
ABCDiamond

If the money supply contracts then it is very possible that the supply of available dwellings will increase.
I am glad you agree with me

Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

OR... I used "Proved", in my reply to that, and you split hairs because you never used THAT word, you used PROVE
You used the word 'proved', I wrote 'not prove' in reply to that post. You seem to be having trouble following threads these days. I seem to remember this problem occurring a few days ago as well.
As commonly known by most people...
What people? There are several billion of us on this earth. How many would know the defined regions of Sydney? Nonetheless, thank you for clarifying your source.
And the data was from RPData Property Pulse
Do you have permission from RPData to use their copyrighted data for this purpose?

How is anyone supposed to verify your data without a RPData subscription? Or are we to trust the ABCDiamond oracle implicitly?

Last edited by Steve2009; Dec 5th 2010 at 6:06 am.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:24 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Attached Images  
Old Dec 5th 2010, 11:09 am
ABCDiamond

Do you have permission from RPData to use their copyrighted data for this purpose?
Do you ask everyone that quotes anything if they have copyright permission ?

RP Data produce information often from ABS data, and others, and I often take figures from both of these as well as others, and create charts and tables from the raw data.

If It was a copy and paste as some do, then copyright permission may well be needed.

Looks like you have got us well and truly onto the subject of the validity of my information, whilst forgetting the validity of your statements.

But it is good to hear that your statements are actually only your opinion, and therefore carry no real weight.

Most of what I do can be Googled and confirmed from various sources, if one is so inclined to do so.

Then we can get back to the point in hand... what was it again ? I've forgotten

Oh yes, you believe that what is happening with 40% of Sydneys property is immaterial, because it doesn't agree with your opinion.

Old Dec 5th 2010, 11:11 am
ABCDiamond

Or are we to trust the ABCDiamond oracle implicitly?
If you trust anyone thing on the Internet, you must have rocks in your head.

It is always best to check everything and verify as much as you can with real information, ignore opinions and speculation, as they are just that.

Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil248
Re the Gold Coast

This weeks property pages have a "prestige" agent now boasting that top end properties are now selling for 30-40 per cent less than the vendors paid at the peak of the market in 2007 so the crash has already happened in that context.

The little 4 bed standard house in Mudgeeraba costing $450,000 in 2007 is probably still worth $450,000 with inflation slowly making it more affordable without it's dollar value changing.
Yep, as I said, the market is on it's first stages of tanking like Ireland, Spain before it. Glad you can see the similarities. The falls will speed up when the numpties realsie they are holding onto dud investments.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

wilf70 will become famous soon enoughwilf70 will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: The Great Australian Property Swindle

As a slight side issue to this very interesting discussion---please have a read of todays Sunday Times supplement.It has an article on the Irish housing boom and bust.For those of you;of a reflective disposition,it will make very salutory reading.As I read it I couldn't help but put the words Australia in instead of Ireland.Remember;Oz is the last housing boom--and may be just beginning to deflate[???].
Also see the articles put out on the web by the unconventional economist--very incisive and worrying.Zerohedge is also very good on the general world economy;or more accurately the mess it is in
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I've always agreed that Australian property is grossly overvalued and the market is long overdue for a correction. But these price falls and their consequences... are they anything like the scale of the US and UK?

(Source).

4.8% in a quarter! Sell the farm, Bertha - we're emigrating to Brazil!

The US property crash saw price dropping more than 14% in a single month (not a quarter). Perth's decline is not even close to that.

Even if it has, why should I care? My house was not overvalued in the first place, my mortgage is less than $160,000 and I have more equity than you could throw a dog at. Bring on the property crash; it makes no difference to me.

Yes, why should you care? Yes why so passionate Vash?
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wilf70
As a slight side issue to this very interesting discussion---please have a read of todays Sunday Times supplement.It has an article on the Irish housing boom and bust.For those of you;of a reflective disposition,it will make very salutory reading.As I read it I couldn't help but put the words Australia in instead of Ireland.Remember;Oz is the last housing boom--and may be just beginning to deflate[???].
Also see the articles put out on the web by the unconventional economist--very incisive and worrying.Zerohedge is also very good on the general world economy;or more accurately the mess it is in
Too true wilf70. I've seen the similarities for a while now. The tide is turning in Australia so there are those who are prepared and those who ain't and keep the blindfolds on.

Zerohedge is ace, Tyler Durden is globally respected, top 10 finance blogs according to Wall Street Journal.

The unconventional economist has to be one of Australia's best economic bloggers, Leith van Onselen.

Another favourite of mine is House and Holes, David Llewllyn Smith, he is well respected economic journalist and occassionally writes for the Business Spectator and other main print.

http://housesandholes.blogspot.com/
Old Dec 5th 2010, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

wilf70 will become famous soon enoughwilf70 will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: The Great Australian Property Swindle

Pomtastic--thank you for the website recommendation--will read with interest.Hope you are keeping well and christmas is not going to be to much of a strain[[its driving me potty already!!!]
Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

If you trust anyone thing on the Internet, you must have rocks in your head.

It is always best to check everything and verify as much as you can with real information, ignore opinions and speculation, as they are just that.
That there looks remarkably like a statement of opinion.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

littda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nice

Vash: "The US property crash saw price dropping more than 14% in a single month (not a quarter). Perth's decline is not even close to that."

If thats true, I think it must be in the real speculative markets in FL, NV or AZ. I would be interested to read the source if you have it.

The US crash from my perspective was far from the precipitous fall some people make out. It started very slowly, in 2006, and didnt pick up real momentum until late 2008, at least where I was.

What I witnessed there is very like what I see in Aus now. I would compare parts of QLD to Florida, Arizona etc - lots of bad press stories, multiple anecdotes of big drops, lots of stock on the market, few buyers, clear evidence of mortgage stress etc.

Melbourne and Sydney would be more like the stable markets in the US - still buyers for good properties, bit of a stock build-up, but no great panic yet.

What happens now will be interesting to see. The govt will no doubt try to kick the can a bit further (fifth pillar etc), but it could be too late for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.