Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Self Employed Mortgage advice

Self Employed Mortgage advice

Old May 9th 2011, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

ukjoiner will become famous soon enough
Default Self Employed Mortgage advice

Can anyone shed any light on the dreaded subject of mortgages I apologise now if I am going to ask/say/type/think anything dumb so here goes.....

If you arrive in Australia with intention of being self employed (as a joiner or counsellor - any general advice also welcome) will you:-

Be able to get a mortgage?
Be entitled to the first time buyers grant (unsure if it is actually called that)
What is the average deposit generally being asked for by banks?

Many thanks
Old May 10th 2011, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Self Employed Mortgage advice

Hi,

I work for one of the major banks and the following general rules apply although every lender is different:

- We will lend up to 95% of the value of the home if you have been a customer for over 6 months so you only need a 5% deposit, but if you need to borrow 80% or more of the propertys value then it is compulsory for you to take out Lenders Mortgage Insurance that insures us (the lender) against you defaulting on your loan.

- With regards to being self employed, we require you to have been self employed for 2 years, and we need to see 1 years full tax return done by an accountant dated within the last 18 months. (So currently we are only accepting tax returns for the tax year ended 30th June 2010.)

- However its also worth noting that if you only need to borrow 60% or less of the propertys value then we will only require 12 months BAS statements to give you a home loan if you are self employed. (BAS= Business Activity Statements, done quarterly by some self employed people.)

Everything is open to interpretation: our rules state you must have been self employed for 2 years, however my hubby had only been self employed for 9 months when we got our home loan but he had been in exactly the same line of work for the year previous to that, and I was staff.

Sometimes going to a broker can be useful cos they'll know the ins and outs of every lender.

Hope this helps. Good luck with everything.
Old May 10th 2011, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
Hi,

I work for one of the major banks and the following general rules apply although every lender is different:

- We will lend up to 95% of the value of the home if you have been a customer for over 6 months so you only need a 5% deposit, but if you need to borrow 80% or more of the propertys value then it is compulsory for you to take out Lenders Mortgage Insurance that insures us (the lender) against you defaulting on your loan.

- With regards to being self employed, we require you to have been self employed for 2 years, and we need to see 1 years full tax return done by an accountant dated within the last 18 months. (So currently we are only accepting tax returns for the tax year ended 30th June 2010.)

- However its also worth noting that if you only need to borrow 60% or less of the propertys value then we will only require 12 months BAS statements to give you a home loan if you are self employed. (BAS= Business Activity Statements, done quarterly by some self employed people.)

Everything is open to interpretation: our rules state you must have been self employed for 2 years, however my hubby had only been self employed for 9 months when we got our home loan but he had been in exactly the same line of work for the year previous to that, and I was staff.

Sometimes going to a broker can be useful cos they'll know the ins and outs of every lender.

Thanks so much for this, its really useful. Just to clarify something with you...when you say you have to be a customer for 6 months, does that mean have a mortgage or just hold accounts there?
Old May 10th 2011, 11:52 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Your stumbling block there could be the BAS.What about going on the books, securing a mortgage,then going self employed when you're fixed up.
Old May 10th 2011, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

another option is set up a LTD company that way your are an employee. Downside being company taxes, added costs for accountancy etc!
Old May 10th 2011, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ukecadet
Your stumbling block there could be the BAS.What about going on the books, securing a mortgage,then going self employed when you're fixed up.
Yes I am thinking the same. My hubbys books here for the last 2 years have been dire. Its been such a struggle to make ends meet.....

He has said he will find employment first if needs be. We should (hopefully) get our Visas in a couple of weeks time so he and I can start looking for something.

Thanks
Old May 10th 2011, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by MrCro
another option is set up a LTD company that way your are an employee. Downside being company taxes, added costs for accountancy etc!
Wouldn't you still have to show 12 months bookwork though.
Old May 10th 2011, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

He doesn't earn enough to be LTD here so I am thinking it might be same there? He did look into it a while ago. His business is mainly domestic work so the customers dont want the added cost of VAT.
Old May 10th 2011, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by ukjoiner
He doesn't earn enough to be LTD here so I am thinking it might be same there? He did look into it a while ago. His business is mainly domestic work so the customers dont want the added cost of VAT.
50k or above and you have to register for GST(VAT)
Old May 11th 2011, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Yep, the general rule of thumb is that if you own the limited company you have to show tax returns for the company, even if you are classed as an employee and are drawing a wage. Its a bit of a grey area but the government clamped down big time on lending in light of the GFC and we have to be seen to be lending responsibly at all times.

Re: the question about being a customer for 6 months, we mean you just have to have been running accounts with us for 6 months to be classed as a customer, and then we will lend to 95% of the propertys value with Lenders Mortgage Insurance.

By the way, in answer to one of the original questions, you are still entitled to the first home owners grant if you are self employed, your employment status has no bearing on that.
Old May 11th 2011, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
Hi,

Just wanted to check that i have this correct, my OH is a carpenter by trade and had his own Ltd building company in Uk (which is now dissolved in preperation for the move), and now works as sole trader on self employed basis.

However, am i correct in thinking that unless we are mortgage free we are not able to buy in Oz for 2 years? Regardless of how much we may be able to pay up front? We probably would be looking to borrow between 25%-50% depending if we can sell both properties in Uk before we depart - for the money we anticipate that is !
Old May 11th 2011, 8:14 pm
Account Closed

jon.n.bec is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, sorry if this question has been asked already but here in the uk my husband has a ltd company and pays himself minimum wage, and takes the rest in dividends. Its not a problem here in the uk for him to get a mortgage/borrow etc, but would this be a problem in Australia, as his accounts would show his earnings are £6000ish a year or whatever min wage is?

We're not that were wanting to buy a house over there straight away, just nice to know in case we did in time. And also are ltd companies over there totally different to here in the uk, hes only ltd here as its cheaper for him to be, i think i read somewhere on this thread that the vat threshold is 50,000 in australia where as its 70,000 here so thats a big difference. I struggle to get my head around the uk system, so dreading trying to understand something totally different.

Thanks
Old May 11th 2011, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Vic_Eddy is an unknown quantity at this point

with regards to the first time buyers grant, please can you confirm if you are required to be in the country for a certain period before you are applicable for this, and also what kind of amount???
this is the first we have heard of this, and although we plan to rent for the first couple of years its great to know about
Old May 12th 2011, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

aarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really nice

The GST threshold here is $75,000.
Old May 12th 2011, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by aarancam
The GST threshold here is $75,000.
Yes your right.I registered when it was first introduced.Back then it was 50k,never looked at it since.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.