Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Great Australian Housing Bubble

The Great Australian Housing Bubble

Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Great Australian Housing Bubble

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
No. I don't know about anyone else, but for me it would be much more expensive to rent than buy. My mortgage is $157,000, I have ~45% equity, and I pay ~$250 a week. There's no way in hell I could afford to rent a comparable house for that money. Better to sit tight, ride out the interest rate hikes, and keep grinding my mortgage down.
You have an opportunity cost on your ~$128,500 of ~$148 before tax per week based on the 6.01% demand deposit rate offered by UBank. Also, I assume based on your 45% equity stake that you did not buy in recent years? If so then I'm not sure how relevant your situation is to this discussion about the current market.

Last edited by Steve2009; Sep 28th 2010 at 3:22 am.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

littda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Weebie
mate just rented his house in geelong this morning for more than he asked for.
All is well then, bull market it is

Seriously, the interesting thing to compare country to country is the spread between cost of renting and cost of buying. In Aus, it is MASSIVE. I have seen situations where cost of buying is 4 times what it would cost to rent the same place. Thats extreme, but 2 times is quite normal. Its certainly less in the UK, and in the US in some places, it costs MORE to rent than to buy.

See, rents track average wages pretty closely. You would think that given the majority of lAus andlords are losing money every month (even after the tax break) that they would put rents up. This would be even more so if you believe that theres an accomodation shortage. But they're not. Why is that? Because they wouldnt rent it, or at least they would struggle. And all this in a time when interest rates are low.

What that shows is that house prices are WAY out of whack. This spread between rent and mortgage cost must close. It can only close in 2 ways - wages go up, or mortgage costs come down.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littda01
There are a LOT of things that could break the stand-off, either in Aus or UK.

IMO, we are witnessing globally a period where asset-backed, debt-based growth is unwinding.

Once sellers see that the era of ever-increasing house prices is coming to an end, you can be sure they will head for the door in droves. Market sentiment can turn very quickly. The other thing to look at is banks valuations of property when they're considering loans. If banks decide that the market is overvalued, then they will be more aggressive with both their LTV ratios and the valuations they place on a property when writing a loan. This becomes self-fulfilling, because as they lower their valuations, they send the market lower. This is 100% what happened in the US - the subprime crisis would have been much lessened had people been able to refinance after their teaser rates ran out. But they couldnt, because banks tightened their valuations massively, meaning everyone was underwater, so they had to sell, forcing the market down and leading to the cycle repeating.
My view is that houses are severely unaffordable and must crash, but that they will not crash for a very long time, at least not in Australia, and in that time one could be in a property and getting rid of the mortgage.

I agree things can happen fast, especially when real fear hits the sellers, but what is there to induce this fear now? Like I said, only China going pop will bring the Aussie housing market down any time soon - even rate rises can be soaked up by people cutting their massive discretionary spending on consumables.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

Rod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to all

the housing market over here is tied in so massivley to all the banks that i would think the government will do all it can to stop it going belly up.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by littda01
They got in at the right time. But anyone who entered the market in the last 2 years, or the upcoming period, will be highly vulnerable to rate rises and value falls.
Two years? So the market was rational up until that point? You're obivously one of those soft landing spruikers.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rod-Helen-Poppy
the housing market over here is tied in so massivley to all the banks that i would think the government will do all it can to stop it going belly up.
Agreed. Look a the corruption in Britain which is leading Aussie in the housing scandal. People that borrowed suicidal amounts of money are having their mortgages paid by the state to stop them going under. What about people who borrowed sensibly? Is the state putting equivalent sums of money in their pensions? Look at what the state did to savers and the prudent - stole billions of pounds from them by slashing rates to nothing to prop up all those morons with over-leveraged McMansions.

Aussie has all this to come, so a big crash way, way off in the future.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:35 am
Just Joined

Drinky will become famous soon enough

Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Seneca21
But how long can the "Mexican stand-off" beteeeen buyrs and sellers last? It could be a long time. What really gets things going is mass redundancies and forced sales, but I don't see those anywhere either.
Yet. Look at the total value of mineral exports and the total value of housing market investment per annum. Subtract 20% from each and look at the potential effect on GDP. Now subtract 33% and look at the potential effect on GDP. etc. etc.
This could go on a longtime, is what I am saying. Are people prepared to rent for the next 10 years?
Are you prepared to catch a falling knife and buy into instant negative equity? I'm going to enjoy the footloose lifestyle afforded by renting for a while. Try out a few different areas and maybe even countries. Enjoy my disposable income (lots of savings). If I didn't have savings then I would be renting and saving as much as I could.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

When I moved from Ireland I didn't count on the economy following me.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steve2009
Yet. Look at the total value of mineral exports and the total value of housing market investment per annum. Subtract 20% from each and look at the potential effect on GDP. Now subtract 33% and look at the potential effect on GDP. etc. etc.

Are you prepared to catch a falling knife and buy into instant negative equity? I'm going to enjoy the footloose lifestyle afforded by renting for a while. Try out a few different areas and maybe even countries. Enjoy my disposable income (lots of savings). If I didn't have savings then I would be renting and saving as much as I could.
I have rented and owned many times a piece, and I can say that with the exception of one landlord, every single other one was a major league arsehole who took money but had to be begged for the smallest improvement of repair to the property. One I even had to threaten with serious legal action to make them bring the property up to legal standard - which they did not by the way and I ended up moving out - so much for the law which is 100% biased in favour of owners.

I cannot honestly say that a future of giving my money to these people is worse than going into negative equity for 10 years. I really have no fear of that at all any more.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

I have rented and owned many times a piece, and I can say that with the exception of one landlord, every single other one was a major league arsehole who took money but had to be begged for the smallest improvement of repair to the property. One I even had to threaten with serious legal action to make them bring the property up to legal standard - which they did not by the way and I ended up moving out - so much for the law which is 100% biased in favour of owners.

I cannot honestly say that a future of giving my money to these people is worse than going into negative equity for 10 years. I really have no fear of that at all any more.
What level of the rental market were you at? Sounds like the cheap end if it wasn't at legal standard. If you're prepared to piss away hundreds of thousands to mortgage a property then it doesn't easily reconcile with penny pinching on rentals.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:46 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Great Australian Housing Bubble

You have an opportunity cost on your ~$128,500 of ~$148 before tax per week based on the 6.01% demand deposit rate offered by UBank.
I have absolutely no idea what that means.

Also, I assume based on your 45% equity stake that you did not buy in recent years? If so then I'm not sure how relevant your situation is to this discussion about the current market.
We bought our house in 2007, which is very recent indeed. The market has not changed considerably since then, so I believe my situation is entirely relevant to the current market.

Again: I am saying that in my situation it is still cheaper to buy than to rent.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

What level of the rental market were you at? Sounds like the cheap end if it wasn't at legal standard. If you're prepared to piss away hundreds of thousands to mortgage a property then it doesn't easily reconcile with penny pinching on rentals.
The example above was straight out if uni many years ago - so bargain basement yes*, but over the years I have rented all kinds of place, and owned. In England the cost of renting a four bedroom detached house is pretty much mortgage level anyway so it just makes no sense at all.

Negative equity is only a problem is you're intending on moving or your life profile is one that dictates lots of moves - so then you must be careful. Anyone with a good job and intending on settling down in one place for 25 years is not easily scared by negative equity. But paying off the mortgage of some prick that won't install a heater in your front room when you can see your breath in the air is no way to proceed through life.

*bargain basement but not cheap - this was INCREDIBLY expensive because of its location. Landlord was a farmer and didn't give a shit about his tenants. I broke the contract and went elsewhere.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I have absolutely no idea what that means.

We bought our house in 2007, which is very recent indeed. The market has not changed considerably since then, so I believe my situation is entirely relevant to the current market.

Again: I am saying that in my situation it is still cheaper to buy than to rent.
I see you have further detail late on regarding your transactions. You say (imply) that you have equity of ~$128,500. If you put this money in a demand deposit account you would earn ~$148 per week before tax in interest. Therefore by having that equity tied up in the property you have an opportunity cost of ~$148 on the deposit interest you forego. Therefore you are actually paying closer to $400 per week for your property than the ~$250 per week you quoted.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Negative equity is only a problem is you're intending on moving or your life profile is one that dictates lots of moves - so then you must be careful. Anyone with a good job and intending on settling down in one place for 25 years is not easily scared by negative equity. But paying off the mortgage of some prick that won't install a heater in your front room when you can see your breath in the air is no way to proceed through life.
That's just simply not true. Negative equity places you at a huge disadvantage to your peers who are not in the same situation. Your disposable income is seriously affected. It also traps you so your bargaining power for work among other things is seriously affected. Given that housing crashes are detrimental to the wider economy this is a major issue. I have many many friends who are trapped in negative equity and it's no bed of roses like you make out. It's not just the young who would like to get out of dodge when the brown stuff hits the fan. As for "paying off the mortgage of some prick" I'll be sending my landlord a nice christmas card this year for his generous subsidy of my lifestyle, if he's a bit slow to fix things I'll be understanding because at the end of the day he's losing money hand over fist to keep me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.