Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

is the grass really greener?

is the grass really greener?

Old Feb 28th 2007, 6:11 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is the grass really greener?

Originally Posted by Wendy
I'll polish it for you
Cool...!

That'll teach iPom... It's not how big your bucket is... it's how shiny...
Old Feb 28th 2007, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Womat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Teabag
nah I'm just in a shite mood, I know there is some history here, just not quite the same as what I could be seeing
Fair enough. Wish you well for the future Teabag, hope it's everything you want it to be.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 6:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blowfly
I hope people enjoy what they want to do without other people putting their value judgements on it.
Teabag is brave to give it ago if that's what they want and they don't like much where they live.Perhaps when and if they return they may enjoy Australia more.

Are you Hutches rellie or something you seem to wade in there when the poor lad gets a word or two against him.
Wouldn't know him if I fell over him. If you think that is wading in, you obviously know even less about me than you do him I just get irritated that someone - anyone gets abuse because they have forthright opinions and haven't yet got bored with other people making huge generalisations about places.

I seem to have missed the post where the OP has been put down for wanting to give it a go. Can you show me please.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Feb 28th 2007 at 6:29 am.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 7:19 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

nah I'm just in a shite mood, I know there is some history here, just not quite the same as what I could be seeing
Yeah, I see what you mean. Tricky position you guys are in too, if you're headed back. Doesn't make for great moods.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 7:20 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
I'll polish it for you

Wendy! Back off. He's mine.... mine, I tell you!

Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Wouldn't know him if I fell over him. If you think that is wading in, you obviously know even less about me than you do him I just get irritated that someone - anyone gets abuse because they have forthright opinions and haven't yet got bored with other people making huge generalisations about places.

I seem to have missed the post where the OP has been put down for wanting to give it a go. Can you show me please.
Go back and have a look it not that difficult.It is true that the poster as no point of reference but how many times for goodness sake do we get posters who think oz is all that after a tv programme and they also have no real point of reference. If I was to tell some one that they had no point of reference of thinking oz was all that, you would be up in arms about it because some posters seem to think it's good for everyone. It also seems to me that only certain posters can have forthright opinons. I get irritated by people who want to put down, have a go, because the poster wants to give somewhere else a go. Unfortunatley that place is the Uk and we all now that can't be good can it?
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

Sort answer you dont know how good or how bad a place is until you try it yourself. No one else can tell you whats good for you.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by AllyKev
Hi Chris

I'm really pleased for you - that you have actually reached a decision and are going for it. Hope it all works out as planned.

Do you have any children? if so - how old are they? How have you gone about finding the best school for your children, as i can't find anything which says how schools are graded by performance etc...

Best wishes

Ally
Hi Ally,
No, we don't have children yet but plan to, that may make our situation easier i guess as children add another layer of complexity when it comes to relocating to the other side of the world. If they are young i think they will adapt better. I know when i was a child i had friends who lived in Africa and was extreamly jealous ofm the lifestyle they enjoyed during the holidays... I just think that not only are the facilities in the schools int he Uk declining but that the media constantly undermine things and the Governments obsession with tables and targets just turns us into a nation that revolve around being better than the 'Jones's. It seems like you cannot do anything now without contravening some law or infringing on someones rights, Maybe Aus is going the same way but at the moment it seems a better prospect to me.

Good luck with what ever you decide, take comments posted by people here who seem to be more interested in slagging each other rather than helping answer your question off with a pinch of salt (adds to the amusement) and make up your mind based on everything you read... research as much as you can, and if possible go for a holiday before.

Cheers

Chris
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:39 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blowfly
Go back and have a look it not that difficult.It is true that the poster as no point of reference but how many times for goodness sake do we get posters who think oz is all that after a tv programme and they also have no real point of reference. If I was to tell some one that they had no point of reference of thinking oz was all that, you would be up in arms about it because some posters seem to think it's good for everyone. It also seems to me that only certain posters can have forthright opinons. I get irritated by people who want to put down, have a go, because the poster wants to give somewhere else a go. Unfortunatley that place is the Uk and we all now that can't be good can it?
Actually, if you ever bothered to leave the 'moving back' forum other than than to go on one-man crusades against us filthy stinking Oz-lovers, you'd know that wasn't the case. I realise that facts are in short supply in that parallel dimension you seem to inhabit, but even a cursory browse through the threads on this forum will find countless examples of people who get 'same shit shinier bucket' chanted to them ad nauseum if they suggest they're leaving the UK because Oz is somehow 'better'. Nobody was 'put down' because they wanted to give somewhere else 'a go' - they were merely asked how they could possibly know the grass was greener when they hadn't even peered over the fence.

Old Feb 28th 2007, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hutch
they were merely asked how they could possibly know the grass was greener when they hadn't even peered over the fence.

Never actually stated that UK grass was greener, just wanted to go and try.
Did say Perth grass ain't so green though
Old Feb 28th 2007, 11:29 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone - i'm a newbee to the forum and have found it very informative - thankyou to all of you for sharing your experiences - it really helps those of us who are at the beginning stages.

We are still indecisive about our move to Oz and have been toying with the idea for a couple of years now. We are wondering whether the grass really is greener and whether that is why people keep ping ponging back to the UK. Why do a lot of brits only stay for a few years & then come back?

How do you decide where to settle? we are coming out for a holiday in March 2008 and are very excited but very nervous too - as we have 2 young children and the thought of that flight terrifies me! Depending on the following request will determine where we visit - so any help will be appreciated.

The main things that will help us to decide on where to settle is obviously IT work for my OH but also good schools. Is there the equivalent to OFSTED and performance tables for each school over there? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction please. I have seen info on each school but not in the way of performance etc..

Good luck to all of you who have just moved or are moving very shortly!

Allison
strike cairns off your your list but the grass is always greener up here
Old Feb 28th 2007, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant future

Hi Corinne

We are wanting to move to Oz for the same reasons as you - we dread to think what the UK will be like by the time our children start secondary school - never mind leaving school. Has your OH found a job in IT? if not does he envisage any problems as some of the threads i have read are really worrying, re: people now living in Oz but not being able to find work. I am also concerned that my OH will end up working long hours like he does here just by the nature of the IT industry, which will defeat the entire reason for going, for us to spend more time together as a family. Thanks for the info on the schools - that's what i keep hearing. I just don't want to keep moving my kids from school to school until i find a good one - as moving them to Oz away from their friends & family will be hard enough. At present with never having been to Oz - hence the trip next yr - we have no idea where we would like to settle - we keep hearing conflicting stories about each area. So it's really difficult. You have really put my mind to rest re: the flights - thanks for that - i can't imagine how you coped with an 18month old & 13wks old baby. You are brave! Have you always flown with Emirates? I presume you would recommend them?
When are you hoping to be moving? Good luck with it all - hope it works out well.
Ally
Hi Ally

OH is currently searching the web sites and government sites applying for loads of jobs in IT Project Management, (has been doing so for a week) so far no responses but early days yet, I too am worried about the IT job situation from what people are posting on the sites, seems to be who you know not what you know market in Oz from what they are saying. Also we know that wages will be a lot lower that over here so just seeing what is around at moment, obviously as he is the only one that works he will need to earn a decent amount of money. As to airlines, first time we flew we used Quantas who we found to be great with the kids and us (good freebies for them)(night flight left UK late afternoon) (but that was 3 years ago, don't know what they are like now), Emirates was used this time, they were ok (again night flight, left UK late afternoon) didn't find them as good, first leg of journey had a lovely what seemed new plane, second leg from Dubai had a smaller plane and was quite run down (same coming back) some of the staff were ok but most of them didn't bother to assist us when we needed help or wanted something, during "night time" all staff disappeared and never even answered the buzzers. So personally I would only use Emirates again if they were the cheapest, they did however have good entertainment system and food was good, especially the kids meals. Don't know whether we were just unlucky on both trips though as only grip to sum it up was the staffs attentivness which we personally found to be poor. Have been told Singapore Airlines are the best to use so we will be using them next time. From research that we have done Perth seems to be very well suited to people with young families, it has lovely beaches and is always hot, winter is still warm compared to UK (just need jumpers etc but can get quite chilly at night), schools we looked at around Ocean Reef area seem to be good, we looked at Ocean Reef Primary and Beaumaris, we liked Beaumaris the best (and also because we have family already at this school). House prices in Perth have risen though so you dont get as much for your money, journey to CBD is only about 35-40 minutes so not far for OH to travel to work. Adelaide has cheaper housing, gets great weather (not as hot as Perth) has lovely parks, again family orientated and most suburbs are a 20 minute drive to CBD, lovely beaches and slightly more seasonish, dont know about schooling as yet to find out. Tasmania getts the proper seasons, summer is a more bearable 70ish, gets a normal winter, nice beaches, work is a bit less here than mainland but the only way I can describe Tas is it is like Cornwall in England to a degree and very similar to New Zealand, again schools not sure about yet as still finding out. Again these are only my personal opinions and are only based on the three areas that we are interested in moving too. As I said on my previous post Gold Coast Queensland was not for us as I didn't like the humidity and some other things and Sydney was just to much like London for my liking and too expensive for housing for us. Hope this helps. Good luck. Corinne
Old Feb 28th 2007, 1:58 pm
Banned

Southerncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to all

Oh yeah Perth has the Freo Prison

and I've seen a few of the dotty rock paintings, not my cuppa tea

and I've been to Port Arthur

what else was there?
I wonder how long you will be in thrall of castle ruins and old churches... chances are you will be living in a town in the UK where the houses have been built in the last century... and they are all the same all along the street (and no gardens or wildlife.)
Old Feb 28th 2007, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

RachaelW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rachael
I know what you mean about taking the easy route - better the devil you know and all of that. But in your case I think you are in a really good position in your life to go for it and not jeopardise anything if it doesn't work out. I really wish we had tried it out before we had children. We are also torn, as we have a lovely house in a lovely village, with good friends and family close by, and my daughter goes to a good school. But i'm hoping that i could say the same about Oz in a few years time, and as a few people have said we could always come back. I am just worried that my daughter wouldn't get back into her current school as there is a waiting list!! Have you looked into how your parents may be able to get into Oz as my mum, younger sister & family would also like to join us - which would make our decision to go for it easier - but they are finding it harder to tick all the right boxes, especially my mum.
Good luck with your decision.
Ally
Hi Ally
My Mum was born in Australia - Adelaide (her family emigrated, had her and moved back when she was 12) so she has no probs getting in. My Dad is a surveyor so can get in and my brother is hoping to go as a family member. My husband is a welder so no probs there either. I think you are right with this, now would be the time to go. My mum has always wanted to go back and just keeps wondering what it would be like to live there.
As for why England is so rubbish, well all the things listed: government, chavves, weather, SAT's and school league tables, OfSTED (all the annoying things in a teacher's life) crime, shootings, muggings angry people in general. Fear lies in walking out of your house, who knows if you'll make it back without someone random person randomly shooting you or trying to blow you up!
Rachael.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

RachaelW is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with what ever you decide, take comments posted by people here who seem to be more interested in slagging each other rather than helping answer your question off with a pinch of salt (adds to the amusement) and make up your mind based on everything you read... research as much as you can, and if possible go for a holiday before.

Cheers

Chris[/QUOTE]

I was finding this thread really interesting until everyone wandered of the point and created 2 pages of nonsense. Could we keep it to advice so everyone can gain form it without having to read a totally different conversation?
I don't want abuse or comments about this, just suggesting it would be more productive.
Rachael.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.