British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   GP relocating from uk to Melbourne - yarra glen area (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/gp-relocating-uk-melbourne-yarra-glen-area-806432/)

Doc2013 Aug 19th 2013 12:07 am

GP relocating from uk to Melbourne - yarra glen area

Hi all
After working for the last 12 years in NHS & finally fed up with all the red tape , we have decided to move to Melbourne ( likely permanent).
Unsure if my earnings would be higher than in uk but less red tape and lifestyle seems like a bonus. My wife would be working in the city and I have taken up an offer as a GP in yarra glen area .

Would be grateful if people could suggest / advise re below -

- any recommended companies for house move / car shipping , would be useful to know pricing if possible

- best areas to rent a house / apartment possibly with good transport links so that my wife could catch a train and I could drive to work .

- would be worth knowing what other doctors have done re their uk NHS pension

I have been going through the forum posts but could not find an answer to above . Many thanks in advance

X

old.sparkles Aug 19th 2013 2:52 am

Re: GP relocating from uk to Melbourne - yarra glen area

Originally Posted by Doc2013 (Post 10857348)
Hi all
After working for the last 12 years in NHS & finally fed up with all the red tape , we have decided to move to Melbourne ( likely permanent).
Unsure if my earnings would be higher than in uk but less red tape and lifestyle seems like a bonus. My wife would be working in the city and I have taken up an offer as a GP in yarra glen area .

- any recommended companies for house move / car shipping , would be useful to know pricing if possible

- best areas to rent a house / apartment possibly with good transport links so that my wife could catch a train and I could drive to work .

I have been going through the forum posts but could not find an answer to above . Many thanks in advance

X

Hi Doc2013 and welcome to BE :welcome:

The cost of removals comes up regularly - here's one thread from not too long back - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=removal

There is a search function on BE to help you look for answers - it's in the peachy coloured banner above, click on advanced for more options such as limiting the forum or time.

Hopefully some posters from Melbourne will be along with suburbs, as well as ex NHS members with pension views :)

bcworld Aug 19th 2013 3:07 am

I am a big fan of Eltham and surrounding suburbs - it feels very Australian in a tree change kind of way. It can be around a 40 min train ride into the city with a seat pretty much guaranteed (not necessarily true on the way home though). You would have an easy drive out to Yarra Glen...probably about 25 minutes tops.

As for red tape, I can't speak for the healthcare system, but in general...you don't come to Australia to escape red tape!

Doc2013 Aug 19th 2013 11:16 am

Thanks bcworld & old.sparkles for the info .
will have a look at the link and eltham area .
NHS red tape - getting worse day by day and i would be glad to get out

Wombatz Aug 19th 2013 11:26 am

You could also have a look along the Lilydale train line. Here the link to the whole network:
http://metrotrains.com.au/pdfs/Train...Map_PTV_A1.pdf

Depends really where you want to live, posh suburbs are Mont Albert and Surrey Hills, but a bit further for you to drive (approx. 40 minutes), I personally like Eltham as it is greener and bigger blocks usually.

Have a look at www.realestate.com.au which gives you an overview of suburbs and rentals (and prices if you want to buy). If your wife is happy to drive to the train station and you like more land around you, you could also look at a more "rural" area like Warrandyte, Kangaroo Ground etc.

sg1964 Aug 20th 2013 9:59 am

Hi Doc2013, having lived in both Eltham and Yarra Glen they have a different feel from each other, our preference was Yarra Glen, in saying that we are now in Healesville, am happy to answer more specific questions if you want, PM if you need to know more, regards Simon

Mummy3 Aug 20th 2013 9:36 pm

Eltham, Warrandyte areas are lovely but be aware of Bush Fire Risks. Eltham train line also awful for cancellations and overcrowding. My OH takes the Lilydale train, he says by Mitcham it's standing room only to the city.
Yarra Glen is lovely, what a beautiful place to go to work :)
Please pm to ask if you want any advice on this area as its where I live!

Doc2013 Aug 21st 2013 10:35 pm

Thanks , have looked at eltham and it seems like a nice suburb . worried though about the train situation as mentioned by Mummy3 as my wife will have to travel to the city ...................
Thx mombatz for the map link - v helpful.
I would love to stay in yarra glen but cannot be mean and let my wife travel an hour plus to the city each way .
Simon , i will be working in your local area -
PM facility not working yet as new to this website
will have a look at lilydale - any more suggestions

Thx in advance and all your advise is well appreciated

B

Mummy3 Aug 22nd 2013 3:51 am

Lilydale or Maybe a little further in? Wonga park, Croydon, Chirnside Park, Croydon Hills, Mooroolbark?? Depends what type of area you are after??

bcworld Aug 22nd 2013 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Doc2013 (Post 10862855)
Thanks , have looked at eltham and it seems like a nice suburb . worried though about the train situation as mentioned by Mummy3

The train is what it is. At times any line can be subject to delays and cancellations.

I only spent a few weeks temporarily in Eltham...my experience was that congestion wise, the mornings were fine as Eltham is close enough to the end of the line. Different story of course in the evening leaving the city where it could be packed and standing room only for half the way back.

Jilliebee Aug 22nd 2013 4:54 am

My hubby travels on the Hurstbridge line (Eltham) from slightly closer to city at Macleod and has never had a problem with cancellations. He's on the train by 6:30 in the morning and its fine, however like all commutable trains it can be crowded on the return journey. We live next to Eltham in Yallambie and love it here x

kirstyp Aug 29th 2013 4:30 pm

Hi, here's a thread with some tips on how to choose reputable removal companies to get a quote from for your house move/car shipping, also check out http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=783099 the rest of our sub forum for some more advice in that area including how pricing is calculated and your shipping options

hope it helps!

BadgeIsBack Aug 30th 2013 7:57 am

My view after getting a train for years is that cancellations are nowhere near as frequent as made out. People will talk locally about how bad the services are - but it's no worse than London if that is available to you as a reference.

Caveat: my line is busy and overcrowded - but it's very rarely cancelled, nor even appreciably late.

The only advice I might give is that your location needs to be future proof - especially if you are buying - pick a place that can see you to the outer burbs and the city with ease so that if the job situation changes you are flexible.

Eltham is always a strong performer - we also looked at it. Established leavy suburbia - decidedly not new outer suburbia nor middle suburbs.

And yes there are places like Hurstbridge and Diamond Creek where you can get acreage - but also further from the city. The good thing about the NE is that you might be close to EastLink which gives you an option and a run down to the beaches, Peninsula and other burbs for medico work.

Rhubarb65 Aug 31st 2013 12:13 pm

Hi all
X

Hi Doc2013,

as several others have suggested, we found Eltham to be lovely, very green and with good facilities. One possible alternative to the train service into the city from Eltham (or Lilydale) is the service 906 Smartbus from Warrandyte Bridge into Melbourne CBD (Lonsdale Street). This offers a high frequency weekday service and takes around 1 hr 15.
http://ptv.vic.gov.au/timetables/linemain/7475

Warrandyte is a bit smaller and quieter than Eltham, but would be quite handy for a drive to Yarra Glen and is similarly leafy.

Margaret3 Sep 1st 2013 2:57 am

Hi all

X

lovely area, alot of my nursing colleagues are from that area, (work at Austin Hospital , Heidelberg):)

Not sure about the pension question. For myself i had paid into the nhs super for 20 years and after much deliberation have left it there, on the whole i feel its safer there:)

It is possible to move it, my welsh colleague moved hers, with the aid of a financial advisor, she said she couldnt have handled the paper work.