Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good stopover with children

Good stopover with children

Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:21 am
Just Joined

alib is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good stopover with children

We would like to make the most of our journeys to and from Melbourne and would like to spend a few days exploring one of the stopover places.

I have two children 8 & 10 and was wondering if anyone could recommend some places, sights, hotels etc that we could see en-route at the possible stopover destinations. We would probably look to be spending around 3 days there or maybe more- what would you recommend as a minimum time to see some of the sights ?
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:59 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good stopover with children

Originally Posted by alib
We would like to make the most of our journeys to and from Melbourne and would like to spend a few days exploring one of the stopover places.

I have two children 8 & 10 and was wondering if anyone could recommend some places, sights, hotels etc that we could see en-route at the possible stopover destinations. We would probably look to be spending around 3 days there or maybe more- what would you recommend as a minimum time to see some of the sights ?
- Singapore
Clean, Shopping, Sentosa, Jumbo seafood - "chilli crab" yum yum, Night Safari, Changi Museum, Hotel Raffles (Have a Singapore Sling and soak up the empirial atmosphere.
Hotels? depends on budget but they are geared for stop over travellers. 3 days sounds enough. Day of arrival, whole day, day of departure. If you want more time why not catch additional flight up to Malaysia - KL or one of the beach resorts. - Cheaper than Singapore and will get more value for money. Foods better too.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 2:23 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Good stopover with children

Originally Posted by alib

Can I suggest flying Air New Zealand? Not only do you all get a bigger baggage allowance but you also get to stop in Los Angeles where you could take the kids to Disneyland, Universal Studios, Hollywood, Beverley Hills to see the stars homes plus the beaches.... LA's beaches, I love 'em!

I can recommend the Embassy Suites hotel, about 1 mile from the airport, each room is like an apartment all surrounding a Mexican style Hacienda.

http://www.embassysuites.com/en/es/h...tyhocn=LAXABES

I stayed at this hotel for 3 weeks once - it was great.

Another great place to see is Catalina Island 1 hour off LA - $20 ferry ride, it's a beautiful island with great diving, there are 3000 inhabitants, no cars and people don't lock their doors!

Cheers

Buzzy

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; Mar 9th 2006 at 2:26 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 7:12 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good stopover with children

[Singapore is the place. Not only, with sing. airlines, did we get an amazingly cheap hotel, but we got vouchers for all and sundry. The nightime safari to the zoo was amazing. My six year old was treated so well by the locals. Probably a little too much as he is fair and blonde.

The bird park was fab, the hotel child friendly, the pool great. Free transport to the hotel.

Loads of things to do. We were there for three days, and we didnt get to do everything we wanted to do. Loads of shopping place, for me and my son (gameboy).

food was great as there was what we know, mcdonalds, traditional, foreign (italian), tourist type which suits kids and adults, indian ( which suits both).

Find out what deals the flight operator offers. singapore airlines, however, offers a bomb. I can't even consider another airline after our last trip in late 04