Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good British Indian style restaurant Perth

Good British Indian style restaurant Perth

Old Jun 14th 2012, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all
Default Re: Good British Indian style restaurant Perth

Originally Posted by Mickey-T
Sorry folks

I know it's been done to death, but after nearly 17 years of living down under, we still haven't found a good curry house. People raved about the Glasgow Curry House, but after a visit there a few weeks ago, we were left very disappointed..........once again. Naan bread was excellent, tandoori and kebabs were OK, but the curry was well below average.

The best we have found is Anghiti in Innaloo, but it's still not British style Indian. Surely, with the huge British population, you would have thought that somebody with the know how would have latched onto it by now.

We also tried the new one in Joondalup recently: "Sangeet". Again, it was OK, but nothing to make me want to rush back, and mega expensive.

Anyone have any knowledge of new places to try, they do seem to be cropping up everywhere now.
Cinnamon Club in Leederville is reasonable. However the chicken and leek pie's in Fibbers across the road are excellent, and the kebabs in Cosmo's are the best in town (relatively speaking). All within 100m of each other.
And the vadge in the Garden Bar in summer ain't too shabby either.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 7:10 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Names of good ones in Brisbane appreciated too!!
I've tried about 5 places since arriving in Australia and all cack apart from http://www.thespiceavenue.com.au/

Thankfully it's 45 mins from me or i'd be there all the time! ...
Old Jun 14th 2012, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Mickey-T will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by upyerfud
Cinnamon Club in Leederville is reasonable. However the chicken and leek pie's in Fibbers across the road are excellent, and the kebabs in Cosmo's are the best in town (relatively speaking). All within 100m of each other.
I've heard mixed reports about The Cinnamon Club. But I WILL give it a go.

Maya in Freo is supposed to be good too, as is Royal India.

Best kebab I have had in Perth is from Turkish Kitchen in Vic Park. It's a basic place, but they have a huge wood oven and they make all their own pita bread fresh as you order. Proper donner meat too. Very nice indeed.

Peters By The Sea in Scarborough is OK too.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 8:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The best kebabs in the CBD are at City Kebabs in Murray Street, just down from Shafto Lane. I went there today - steak kebab with the lot and sweet chilli sauce. Fantastic.

A shitty looking place but great food.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
I've tried about 5 places since arriving in Australia and all cack apart from http://www.thespiceavenue.com.au/

Thankfully it's 45 mins from me or i'd be there all the time! ...
I'd certainly 2nd that one

Don't think they're English houses mate but if you'd care to travel the other way i'd highly recommend both Saffron and Delhi Darbar on the Gold Coast Highway between Surfers and Broadbeach

Another good one we've found is Sardar Rasoi on Southbank. Not English either as far as i know but still very good food had there in the past and even if the service is sometimes slow still worth a visit

Last edited by bobbyftm; Jun 14th 2012 at 10:08 am.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The best kebabs in the CBD are at City Kebabs in Murray Street, just down from Shafto Lane. I went there today - steak kebab with the lot and sweet chilli sauce. Fantastic.

Steak in a kebab sure it wasn't a burger?
Old Jun 14th 2012, 10:31 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
Steak in a kebab sure it wasn't a burger?
yes
Old Jun 15th 2012, 9:44 am
still searching

woody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nice

i have noticed in the northern suburbs in perth that all curries seem to be the exact same colour and texture

the only thing they do is, if you ask for hot extra chilli is added. We all had a different curry from the 5 rivers in woodvale, and we couldn't tell the difference at all but for thr writing on the lid

going back in sept for the first time in 6 years and i will be ordering a curry or two

Old Jun 15th 2012, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mickey-T
Sorry folks

I know it's been done to death, but after nearly 17 years of living down under, we still haven't found a good curry house. People raved about the Glasgow Curry House, but after a visit there a few weeks ago, we were left very disappointed..........once again. Naan bread was excellent, tandoori and kebabs were OK, but the curry was well below average.

The best we have found is Anghiti in Innaloo, but it's still not British style Indian. Surely, with the huge British population, you would have thought that somebody with the know how would have latched onto it by now.

We also tried the new one in Joondalup recently: "Sangeet". Again, it was OK, but nothing to make me want to rush back, and mega expensive.
Anyone have any knowledge of new places to try, they do seem to be cropping up everywhere now.

Chutney Mary's in Northbridge and Subiaco worth a visit. Pricey but food actually very tasty. Spices on Ocean on Rockingham foreshore not bad either but not as good.

We tend to make our own curries at home and especially for dinner with friends. Got my mum to send freshly ground spices from India which helps.

But easy to make Indian food at home as all the spices you need are available from the Indian grocery stores in places like Gosnells and Osborne Park. They also sell frozen naans, samosas, parathas and other savouries which are from India and the same brand as sold in the UK. The Ashoka brand is particularly good. These shops also sell the best basmati rice and chappati flour. Basmati rice from Pakistan is regarded as the absolute best.

My onion bhajis, pakoras and home-made naans and hubby's lamb rogan josh and goan fish curry always go down well our English and Aussie friends.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

saintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nice

Originally Posted by Amazulu

I had a chicken one from there a while back and it was crap.

Mykonos on Beaufort Street is excellent though.

For Indian, I love Mela in Northbridge. Genuine indian food, including an excellent Masala Dosa. Also do indian sweets like jelabi, etc.

They deliver too.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 2:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by upyerfud
Pardon?
Old Jun 17th 2012, 5:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by saintstu
I had a chicken one from there a while back and it was crap.

Mykonos on Beaufort Street is excellent though.

For Indian, I love Mela in Northbridge. Genuine indian food, including an excellent Masala Dosa. Also do indian sweets like jelabi, etc.

They deliver too.
I rarely eat chicken from fast food places.
Mykonos is good, as is the late night place in Northbridge.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 5:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Pardon?
v-bone steak
Old Jun 17th 2012, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

OK.

Was on a mission this weekend to find a good one. We managed to get a table for four at The Cinnamon Club last night (Saturday). I was really looking forward to it, as I had heard good things (as well as bad).

Sorry, but it was just a little better than abysmal. I won't say anymore as we were all 4 of us dissapointed, and we had talked our friends into coming with us to give it a try. I can cook better (much better) myself.

Tonight we went to Anghiti in Innaloo, and the difference was 100%. Good curry, good starters, good service, good experience. Anghiti isn't cheap, but it is always good. BUT............it still isn't curry as we Brits know it. There is still something lacking..........I wish I could put my finger on it, I'd make millions.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kips
Chutney Mary's in Northbridge and Subiaco worth a visit. Pricey but food actually very tasty. Spices on Ocean on Rockingham foreshore not bad either but not as good.
Tried Chutney Mary's........again it's OK, But not a UK curry. I preffered the tandoori stuff to the the mains.

I know what you're saying Kips, i too make curry and other accompanying dishes at home, but wouldn't it be nice to have somewhere to go out to where you KNOW that you are going to get a really good Ruby?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.