Goldcoast!!

Old Jul 9th 2013, 5:42 am
Just Joined

straussmouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Goldcoast!!

Me and a mate came to Adelaide backpacking 12 years ago and we had a scream for 2 months ( pre wife and child! ) Now we really struggle to find stuff to do as a family other than go to parks on a nice day... Sure its a friendly place but I think better suited to people who want a lot of peace and quiet.... We moved from Brighton UK so it was a bit of a culture shock.

We go back to Japan each year and its like we forgot what a normal life is like, theres so much to do....Sounds a bit harsh on Adelaide but if anyone under 35 is reading this and considering a move there, work out what you cant do without first...You are a long way from anywhere and its not ideal to have to move states!!

Thanks for the replies people, we appreciate it
Old Jul 9th 2013, 5:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't make it to the GC, have you thought about Sydney? There is a Japanese school near where I live (upper North Shore) and a large Asian population - though mostly Chinese/Korean the closer you get to Chatswood. Because of local developments, there is a lot of work for tradies. We are looking forward to going to Tokyo this December.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 6:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
If you don't make it to the GC, have you thought about Sydney? There is a Japanese school near where I live (upper North Shore) and a large Asian population - though mostly Chinese/Korean the closer you get to Chatswood. Because of local developments, there is a lot of work for tradies. We are looking forward to going to Tokyo this December.
Guess we imagined Sydney to be too pricey?

If your going to JP i can recommend Sapporo, its only an hour or so flight North from Tokyo. Lots of lights and snow! Lots of natural outdoor baths too ( Onsen ), amazing when its snowing! Stay in Tokyo if you prefer warmer weather though!
Old Jul 9th 2013, 9:46 am
Banned

PennyA will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bcworld
Out of interest, why did you decide on the Gold Coast?
Why not? I've only heard fantastic things about Gold Cost!
Old Jul 9th 2013, 10:15 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PennyA
Why not? I've only heard fantastic things about Gold Cost!
Depends on which bit of the GC ... There is the hinterlandy bit which is all very rural and acreage, there's the glitter strippy bit where it's all gaudy, there are bits that are apparently nice and there are bits rife with drugs, crime and general mayhem fuelled by an economy that is diving, unemployment rising and people getting desperate.

And it's probably the same for everywhere else too.

It's not Escape Down Under (or whatever the fashionable programme is) but it's a bit closer to real life ...

I don't mean to paint a picture of doom and gloom, just saying it's entirely possible to pick a bad bit that is way worse than anything in the UK. Like gangs on bikes, gun crime and an inadequate police presence ...

And again I say, same goes for anywhere.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Depends on which bit of the GC ... There is the hinterlandy bit which is all very rural and acreage, there's the glitter strippy bit where it's all gaudy, there are bits that are apparently nice and there are bits rife with drugs, crime and general mayhem fuelled by an economy that is diving, unemployment rising and people getting desperate.

And it's probably the same for everywhere else too.

It's not Escape Down Under (or whatever the fashionable programme is) but it's a bit closer to real life ...

I don't mean to paint a picture of doom and gloom, just saying it's entirely possible to pick a bad bit that is way worse than anything in the UK. Like gangs on bikes, gun crime and an inadequate police presence ...

And again I say, same goes for anywhere.
Care to point out the nice bits?
Old Jul 9th 2013, 10:43 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by straussmouse
I do not live on the GC so I would not like to generalise.

I am halfway between Brisbane and the GC in the sticks a bit so I can't really say where is nice further down south.

My perception is based on 8 years of absorbing the local news (I know, biased towards Bad News), my conversations with the local police and various friends who live down there, some of which have moved away due to the ongoing issues.

I am just saying "The Gold Coast" encompasses many areas, just as your experience of "Brisbane" would differ if you lived in Fortitude Valley versus, say, Graceville.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.police.qld.gov.au/forms/c...atsdesktop.asp

Put 'Gold Coast' in for local council area, restrict search to 2 months.

Map shows criminal activity, so stay away from Surfers, and go west of the motorway.
Attached Thumbnails Goldcoast!!-clipboard0x.jpg  
Old Jul 9th 2013, 10:57 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by lesleys

Map shows criminal activity, so stay away from Surfers, and go west of the motorway.
Interesting, there is a huge hot spot over my house under the "On-Line Copyright Infringements Avoiding Shite Australian TV" category.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lesleys

Surfers = Baghdad
Old Jul 9th 2013, 11:05 am
Mostly Harmless

Surfers = Baghdad
I used to like the idea of living in Labrador until I heard the police force have nicknamed it Stabrador ...

And hey, what a coincidence, a news story on right now about someone being shot on the GC ...

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html
Old Jul 9th 2013, 11:15 am
Just Joined

ozcabs is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I'm out at upper Coomera, only real thing we here is boy racers, but that's normally on a Friday night. Eagle heights up tambourine mountain is nice and quiet.

I heard they wanted to change the name if Labrador to broadwater, try and get away with the bad name of the place.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 11:38 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by ozcabs
Well I'm out at upper Coomera, only real thing we here is boy racers, but that's normally on a Friday night. Eagle heights up tambourine mountain is nice and quiet.

I heard they wanted to change the name if Labrador to broadwater, try and get away with the bad name of the place.
A bit like Logan Central not actually being Woodridge, doesn't stop people being raped and killed there:

http://www.news.com.au/national-news...-1226648122605

Hey, I'm a cheery sod today eh?
Old Jul 9th 2013, 11:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DeadVim
A bit like Logan Central not actually being Woodridge, doesn't stop people being raped and killed there:

http://www.news.com.au/national-news...-1226648122605

Hey, I'm a cheery sod today eh?
You remind me of Mark Corrigan....
Old Jul 9th 2013, 1:04 pm
Mostly Harmless

You remind me of Mark Corrigan....
The retired Irish Hurler (b. 1960)?

Thanks Wikipedia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.