Goldcoast!!

Old Jul 7th 2013, 6:10 am
Just Joined

straussmouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Goldcoast!!

Hi Guys,

We are a young family who have spent the last 3 years basically unhappy ( incredibly bored ) in Adelaide but have tried to stick it out in the hope that one day the curtain will raise and we will finally be happy here.....Well 3 years is enough!

I am a self employed electrician of 2 years and the business is growing well having earnt around 30k in the first year and just over 60k this year off my own back.....and we still want to leave!

OH is at home with our 20 month old and struggling a bit with no support as ive been spending more time at work.....I couldn't do her job that's for sure!

So enough is enough, we have decided to move to the Goldcoast and see what that has to offer.

We are looking for tips on places to live that suit families ect and a general view on what life is like there... We are early 30s and have need to laugh more!!

All views welcome.

Thanks,
Straussy
Old Jul 7th 2013, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goldcoast!!

Gold Coast is vibey that's for sure and lots of young families there.

Don't know about electrician work though. Good luck!
Old Jul 7th 2013, 7:22 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by straussmouse
So enough is enough, we have decided to move to the Goldcoast and see what that has to offer.
Out of interest, why did you decide on the Gold Coast?
Old Jul 7th 2013, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bcworld
Out of interest, why did you decide on the Gold Coast?
Just that we have spent the most time there in terms of holidays...OH is Japanese, GC has a high number of Japanese people so our son will continue to learn Japanese through playgroups etc...It is also very easy and cheap to go back to JP from the GC ( Jetstar love em or hate em! ) so OH wont feel quite so isolated.

For me, its because there is just more to do than Adelaide and hopefully has more families around our age.

You wouldn't believe how many times locals have said ' why the hell did you come here, everyone leaves Adelaide!'
Old Jul 7th 2013, 9:39 am
Just Joined

ozcabs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi mate, I lived on the GC, from 1980 to 1997, when i moved back to the UK. March this year, i returned with my wife and 2 kids.
We are living at Upper Coomera wich we really like, Close to the motorway but not too far away from southport and surfers.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ozcabs
Hi mate, I lived on the GC, from 1980 to 1997, when i moved back to the UK. March this year, i returned with my wife and 2 kids.
We are living at Upper Coomera wich we really like, Close to the motorway but not too far away from southport and surfers.
Hey mate,

Yeah we have heard nice things about Coomera and have friends in Southport...
Burghley spelling?? was also recommended to us...

Anywhere else??
Old Jul 7th 2013, 11:06 am
Just Joined

ozcabs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by straussmouse
Hey mate,

Yeah we have heard nice things about Coomera and have friends in Southport...
Burghley spelling?? was also recommended to us...

Anywhere else??
Ahh yes, Burleigh. Nice place. About 30 mins drive down the motorway, not my scene but is a nice area.

Theres loads of developement around the Coomera area, Such as Pimpama and Ormeau.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 12:00 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

We did the same as you after 2 years in Adelaide in 2006 (Seaview Downs to Gaven).............I feel far less trapped, surrounded by lush green vegetation and more 'entertained' here than in Adelaide......but miss the small town friendliness of Adelaide.

Where you are headed depends a lot on personal preferences bush or sea? new build or character? close neighbours or acreage? acceptable commute times(if applicable) existing friends locations, preferred schools, budget etc etc

There are lots of very pleasant areas............trouble is it takes a while to discover what feels right for you when all the place names on the map mean nothing to you...as you probably well know already

No-one can choose for you but If I had to choose again I'd consider Tamborine Mountain (lovely but not practical for us), Currumbin Valley (too far from potential work in Brisbane), Worongary(didn't know it existed!), Willow Vale(same), Varsity Lakes, Robina (overlooked but good schools and excellent infrastructure)

Maybe hire a holiday let and have a really good look around before making any firm plans?

I wish you all the best, just drop me a P.M if I can help in any way.

Jan
Old Jul 7th 2013, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Jan that's really nice of you. Expect PMs
Old Jul 9th 2013, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

fromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nice

Just returned from Hope Island, GC and would strongly it as a place to live. I'd go there at a drop of a hat but nothing going work wise for me.
If you're stuck for work when you're up there PM me as I know someone that may be able to help you.
BoL

Last edited by fromthetoon; Jul 9th 2013 at 3:54 am.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

Originally Posted by fromthetoon
Just returned from Hope Island, GC and would strongly it as a place to live. I'd go there at a drop of a hat but nothing going work wise for me.
If you're stuck for work when you're up there PM me as I know someone that may be able to help you.
BoL
We live in Hope Island and commute to Bris for the same reason (no work for me on the GC), it is a lovely place to live but after 2 years the commute is wearing thin!

I'm also "From the toon" or close by anyway (Corbridge was our last home in the UK).
Old Jul 9th 2013, 5:07 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Ah...Corbridge, near Hexham......used to date a girl from there!!! Wife wasn't too happy about it though!
Old Jul 9th 2013, 5:11 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it strange how perceptions choose our location. I love Adelaide and would move there in a heartbeat, particularly North Adelaide, but thats only because I have been there with work and conferences and had a good time!
My wife loves the GC, we have been there a few times and have friends there, but I just don't like it at all especially anywhere near Surfers at night. Coolangatta area I could cope with...I think!!
Looking back at OP's post though am I right in assuming that its not just location but also family circumstances? There is nothing worse than being a home alone Mum or Dad looking after children and having no friends or support network to 'chill' with or to join for coffee/chat etc. Having kids of school age does change that but it takes a while.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

Originally Posted by paddyo
anywhere near Surfers at night.
I wouldn't go near Surfers at night either! Broadbeach is nice if you want the bright lights though, where I live is suburbia, albeit on the water and close to the beaches too
Old Jul 9th 2013, 5:24 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Yeah I know Hope Island....only because of a 'Win a Home on the GC' competition though!! lol
We had a good look around Biggera Waters area and liked it.....partly because of good Japanese restaurants (not Japanese by the way, just love the food!) and the Shopping Mall!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.