Reload this Page >

Gold Coast, Perth or Cairns

Gold Coast, Perth or Cairns

Old Apr 3rd 2012, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

richnicholls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gold Coast, Perth or Cairns

Hey all-

We have the opportunity to move to Australia and head to the Gold Coast, Perth or Cairns. I'll be moving with my wife and 2 year old son.

Do you have any suggestions and preferences on those spots. What would you say the pros and cons are?

Thanks!

Rich
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 7:50 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gold Coast, Perth or Cairns

Originally Posted by richnicholls
Hey all-

We have the opportunity to move to Australia and head to the Gold Coast, Perth or Cairns. I'll be moving with my wife and 2 year old son.

Do you have any suggestions and preferences on those spots. What would you say the pros and cons are?

Thanks!

Rich
Is the pay equal for all three areas? If so then Cairns - a nice, relatively cosmopolitan tropical town. Very humid in summer but good weather in winter time. Cairns would be significantly cheaper too as its pretty depressed economically so rents have dropped, restaurants are more competitive etc
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Is the pay equal for all three areas? If so then Cairns - a nice, relatively cosmopolitan tropical town. Very humid in summer but good weather in winter time. Cairns would be significantly cheaper too as its pretty depressed economically so rents have dropped, restaurants are more competitive etc
Thanks for the reply- I've been accepted for post graduate study in those locations. Trying to figure where to go. Ideally we won't want to move afterwards and just want to settle for a few years.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 7:58 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply- I've been accepted for post graduate study in those locations. Trying to figure where to go. Ideally we won't want to move afterwards and just want to settle for a few years.
Crikey - the fees must be immense?! If you intend to do the 20 hours a week work you are allowed to then you may struggle to get a job in Cairns. However it should have the cheapest rent.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 10:13 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey all-

Thanks!

Rich
Those are 3 very different places. You may want to give us some idea of what you're looking for.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a bit like asking should I eat chalk, cheese or gooseberries....

What are you looking for? How many of you? Income? Are you a champagne hooray henry charlie? or Hilda Ogden... With her half of stout?

What kind of things do you like to do? Are you a culture vultre? Cafe set? Or a backyard barbecuer?
Old Apr 4th 2012, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Hey all-

Thanks!

Rich
Definitely Perth. Gold Coast is yuk, brash and Cairns has a depressed economy. Perth is my town, and without a doubt offers the ebst lifestyle and weather in Oz - not that I'm biased or anything!
Old Apr 4th 2012, 8:26 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Definitely Perth. Gold Coast is yuk, brash and Cairns has a depressed economy. Perth is my town, and without a doubt offers the ebst lifestyle and weather in Oz - not that I'm biased or anything!
Old Apr 4th 2012, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Broadbeach/Surfers Paradise depending which side of the house you stand
yellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to all

We have lived in all three, so from experience, We loved Perth until we moved out of it. Cairns is a fantastic place loved it loved it loved it. We shall be retiring back up there when the kids have finished school (early retirement mind ) now we are on the Gold Coast and no its not as brash as everyone makes out, yes if you live in the tourist strip it may be, but we live in Mudgeeraba, its 10mins from the beach at the base of the hinterland and we love it. Great place for the kids, son 7 Daughter 3.

Pros -
Perth, clean new city lots of space
Cairns, space, beauty, tourism for only 6 months of the year
Gold Coast, fun, great weather, lots to do and lots of places to escape

Cons,
Perth, distances to everything, distances to everything and distances to everything
Cairns, gets hot and sticky, cant really go in the ocean and jobs
Gold Coast, Surfers gets crowded in the summer hols, ocean can get to rough for a swim.

Hope that helps, need any more help inbox me. which uni's you been accepted into? As that depends again on which are I would go to, Marine Biology = Cairns, Mining = Perth and research, medical and Law Gold Coast.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

The only criteria should be the reputation of the uni and the reputation of the course at that uni. A post grad, like a undergrad from a poor uni is a pointless exercise. Research which os the best and opt for that.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
The only criteria should be the reputation of the uni and the reputation of the course at that uni. A post grad, like a undergrad from a poor uni is a pointless exercise. Research which os the best and opt for that.
Was just about to write the same thing.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by yellowmellow
We have lived in all three, so from experience, We loved Perth until we moved out of it. Cairns is a fantastic place loved it loved it loved it. We shall be retiring back up there when the kids have finished school (early retirement mind ) now we are on the Gold Coast and no its not as brash as everyone makes out, yes if you live in the tourist strip it may be, but we live in Mudgeeraba, its 10mins from the beach at the base of the hinterland and we love it. Great place for the kids, son 7 Daughter 3.

Pros -

Cons,
Perth, distances to everything, distances to everything and distances to everything
Gold Coast, Surfers gets crowded in the summer hols, ocean can get to rough for a swim.

Hope that helps, need any more help inbox me. which uni's you been accepted into? As that depends again on which are I would go to, Marine Biology = Cairns, Mining = Perth and research, medical and Law Gold Coast.
Hey- thanks for your response- absolutely the most helpful!! We've decided to go to Gold Coast. We can't wait to get there.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

Originally Posted by yellowmellow

Pros -

Cons,

Dead right, lots of people base their view of the Gold Coast on Surfers alone, but it has some great (and some not so great) suburbs. Surfers itself (and I don't much like it either) must be less than 5% of the Gold Coast land area.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 11:52 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Wot he said.

I didn't know I lived somewhere brash and yuk. Good job I was told, I'll move immediately.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Wot he said.
+2

Yeah who needs Surfers anyway when you can have places like Nerang!