Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

going to live in the desert

going to live in the desert

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default going to live in the desert

hi all

cant get the smilies to work at the mo but if i could it would have the scary face plastered all over this thread.

Some of you may know of my attemps to secure a teaching job in aus before i went, maily due to the house not selling (it has now)

I had applied to over 30 jobs in various areas of SA. I received around 25 thanks but no thanks and the remainiing schools took up my references but still said thanks but no thanks.

One of those schools did ring early last week and my head sent of a reference but she couldnt quite remember what the school was called. Next day she had remembered, it was called Yunta Area School. We laughed because i said i bet i get that one..its 330km from Adelaide..only part time, and in the desert, one teacher and one principal, 10 children!

I dd recieve a email with a notice of appeal attatched on the 15/9/06 and thought that was that.

Just opened an email which says they are offering me the job...

maybe they made a mistake..

if not what would you do in my position...please advise...

i know its far from civilisation..but then im not a civilised person..lol

any advice more than welcome.

grateful lolly

ps sorry its sooooo long winded..
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 5:43 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: going to live in the desert

:scared: I think this is what your looking for :scared:

Sorry, dont think i should comment, anyway have a look at the pic

Originally Posted by lollyno1
hi all

cant get the smilies to work at the mo but if i could it would have the scary face plastered all over this thread.

Some of you may know of my attemps to secure a teaching job in aus before i went, maily due to the house not selling (it has now)

I had applied to over 30 jobs in various areas of SA. I received around 25 thanks but no thanks and the remainiing schools took up my references but still said thanks but no thanks.

One of those schools did ring early last week and my head sent of a reference but she couldnt quite remember what the school was called. Next day she had remembered, it was called Yunta Area School. We laughed because i said i bet i get that one..its 330km from Adelaide..only part time, and in the desert, one teacher and one principal, 10 children!

I dd recieve a email with a notice of appeal attatched on the 15/9/06 and thought that was that.

grateful lolly

Attached Thumbnails going to live in the desert-yunta.jpg  
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
:scared: I think this is what your looking for :scared:

Sorry, dont think i should comment, anyway have a look at the pic

thanks...i had looked on google earth and dosnt look that far from civilisation on the map lol ..(and smilies still not working..)

thanks for the reply anyway..
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 5:59 pm
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough

Wow, what an offer!!

It will be on hell of an experience, good or bad, and you'll probably get to live an Australian life that no-one else will. I think it sounds great.

Then again if you accept the job, you can always look for something else when you're there.

At least you'll be there and not wondering .....what if????

Good luck
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brisbec
Wow, what an offer!!

It will be on hell of an experience, good or bad, and you'll probably get to live an Australian life that no-one else will. I think it sounds great.

Then again if you accept the job, you can always look for something else when you're there.

At least you'll be there and not wondering .....what if????

Good luck

ah cheers for that. I ve emailed the principal just to check he got the right person...just my luck probably not..lol

and its not as far as i thought from adelaide. only 194 miles lol...and not so much in the desert..more outback..

my smilies still not working..: o (
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 7:24 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Most teachers have to do a couple of years in the 'Bush' (middle of nowhere) before they will be considered for jobs within the state sector.

The only alternative is to try the private sector.

G
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 11:25 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

hi all

grateful lolly

I will wave to you on my way past when i do my Broken Hill run i stop for fuel at Yunta and some times go to the pub , good onya girl you will enjoy the experience........ mm
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 11:50 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
I will wave to you on my way past when i do my Broken Hill run i stop for fuel at Yunta and some times go to the pub , good onya girl you will enjoy the experience........ mm
nice country out here............ mm
Attached Thumbnails going to live in the desert-images.jpg  
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 12:04 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

hi all

grateful lolly

Whilst in the yook I also applied on line for what seem like hundred`s of jobs and received very Luke warm responses (at least the ones who bothered to respond at all) but did get 1 nailed on job offer.
This offer came from a small crash shop in Jamestown which is 199 kms north of Adelaide.
Of course I was chuffed at being offered a job but on the flip side very curious as to what there was to see and do in Jamestown(population 1400)
After consultation with the Mrs we both decided taking this job would be very risky.
reasons for this were
A. what if we get there I start work and hate it. would probably have to relocate to get another job.
B.we have to small kids and were concerned about bringing them up somewhere so remote.
C. how would the locals respond to us? I would like to think well given the friendliness of the people we`ve met but in a small community it`s more of a gamble IMHO.

We`ve been here just over a year now (40kms) south of Adelaide and are more than convinced we`ve made the right decision.
End of the day you`re moving 12000 miles to the other side of the world,if you were a backpacker with no relocation worries i`d say go for it if you don`t like it move on,but there`s probably a good reason why this job`s available, I would put it down to geography.
Good luck
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 1:46 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

hi all

grateful lolly

Hmm, that's a tough call, but I think that I would probably be inclined to take it, amybe on a 1 term basis with the possibility of extension. Did they say if it would be a permanent position or not? Consider these things:

1. It is quite hard to get into the Aussie education system with overseas experience.

2. It's also very hard to find a permanent teaching job.

3. This place would give you a good opportunity to get into the SA education system in a relatively stress free environment. With ony 10 students, I imagine there would be scope to really get to grips with the schemes of work, specifications etc.

4. Whilst there, you are gaining valuable experience working in SA education, which will be to your credit when you look for something a little closer to civilisation.

6. It will also give you that valuable 'first Australian job'. Once you have had one, and have a bit of local work experience, then obtaining the next job will be much easier.

5. If you take a 1 term contract, and you hate it, it's not the end of the world - Most teachers have worked a term in a school they didn't like - I know I have. Some do it for 30 years! You will have gained some experience, and can use that to inform your next decision. If you love it, hen you can stay longer.

Anyway, something to thnk about there.

S
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 2:47 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lolly,

My Australian BIL retrained and qualified as a Teacher over two years ago, and after many applications and much frustration on his part, he's just been offered a permanent teaching post in Sydney, so it seems to be the same story Oz-wide.

Can you not have a chat with the school first to get more information about the post, location etc - that would give you a bit more information to base your decision on.

One thing's for sure - if you do accept it will be an interesting experience.

Nicky
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

hi all

grateful lolly

Small communities can really suit those who want to pitch in and be involved in what ever is happening, usually sport but rural fire brigade or SES can also be useful starts in meeting people and finding acceptance.

If you are a shrinking violet then maybe not.

Friend of mine has a vineyard at Jamestown and thinks it is a great place with a great community. He bought the place veeeery cheaply.

Its a foot in the door of the State system if you can get a permanent position. Spend the time then look at moving elsewhere.

WW
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

hi all

thanks for the replies and advice.

I got my reply from the head and yes the jobs mine if i want it.

Im going along with the idea that it is a foot in the door of the system. It is also a permenant contract...and yes maybe i was the only one to apply..lol

On the visa i am on I have to work full time for 12 months and as the job is only part time then, if i accept, I will have to relocate anyway to find full time. Oh its a delimma..

Mr Mover, thanks for the pic..glad to hear Yunta has a pub at least! lol

Wengerboy. Ive been and stayed in Jamestown. It had more pubs than shops..lol a lovely place with friendly people.

Now ive got the weekend to decide what to do...

thanks once again.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

hi all

thanks for the replies and advice.

I got my reply from the head and yes the jobs mine if i want it.

Im going along with the idea that it is a foot in the door of the system. It is also a permenant contract...and yes maybe i was the only one to apply..lol

On the visa i am on I have to work full time for 12 months and as the job is only part time then, if i accept, I will have to relocate anyway to find full time. Oh its a delimma..

Mr Mover, thanks for the pic..glad to hear Yunta has a pub at least! lol

Wengerboy. Ive been and stayed in Jamestown. It had more pubs than shops..lol a lovely place with friendly people.

Now ive got the weekend to decide what to do...

thanks once again.
I'm not sure where you have already looked for jobs, but have you tried on www.careerone.com.au That's where all the jobs in the paper are advertised here in SA.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wendy
I'm not sure where you have already looked for jobs, but have you tried on www.careerone.com.au That's where all the jobs in the paper are advertised here in SA.
thanks for that Wendy.

I look everyweek, mainly on teachers on the net, seek.com etc. From my experience most of the jobs advertised are Church schools with a very strong religious ethos. When one looks further into the requirements, many of the ones I have ask for pastoral references or an explanation into your chritian beliefs and involvement in the church.

As non church goer or practising Christian these jobs are out of reach too me.

I found this job by searching the education department of SA website. back in august they had hundreds on offer for the new school yearl. There was only about 30 I could actually apply for as they were classed as 'open'. Out of those applications about 6 called for references...

Will have to think long and hard about this offer. I could only really take up the post for the maximum of a year anyway due to SIR requirements. I will probably email the principal with this information and see what he says.

regards

lolly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.