Giving up on Oz

Old Mar 20th 2013, 2:11 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving up on Oz

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter...
Yeh, looks great from the outside and it's not until you insert a finger and completely immerse yourself in it you find out what it really is.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 2:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Yeh, looks great from the outside and it's not until you insert a finger and completely immerse yourself in it you find out what it really is.
I'd have to smell for that one - having been a father of toddlers I am immune to feel.

Well my wife has just cooked some brownies..so on that thought...they smell right, they look right, I'll be relying on my taste buds.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going down to the Bogan hide with my SLR later to see if I can catch a few shots.
L1A1 ? ...... I'll be sure to watch the evening news.

Last edited by Hino; Mar 20th 2013 at 6:34 am.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hino
L1A1 ?
The 7.62mm FN FAL,(a Belgian design) was called the SLR (Self Loading Rifle) in the UK and Australia, but officially designated the L1A1 rifle in GB.

So when you want to take a SLR to a bunch of bogans you might be saying you want to cull their numbers.....
Old Mar 20th 2013, 11:27 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
The 7.62mm FN FAL,(a Belgian design) was called the SLR (Self Loading Rifle) in the UK and Australia, but officially designated the L1A1 rifle in GB.

So when you want to take a SLR to a bunch of bogans you might be saying you want to cull their numbers.....
My condolences to all those who despise Australia - it must be terrible to live in a place you hate so much
Old Mar 20th 2013, 2:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
My condolences to all those who despise Australia - it must be terrible to live in a place you hate so much
I really identify with what Arkon says - for some of us, who can't leave for various reasons, Australia does seem like a prison until you find ways of coping with it. I tolerate the place now, I can't afford to leave so I make the best of it by enjoying my job, and spending the rest of the time preparing for the trips home that all my wages go on
I used to say I hate the place but hating is really a waste of energy. Tolerating it is less stressful
Old Mar 20th 2013, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

MUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really nice

I bet not many folk know what an L1A1 is. Although I thought the Aussies bought the original FN version as well as M16's ???. It kicked like a mule and the susat was useless, but you could never break them. I was dark blue, so we still had the wooden butt ones in the early nineties !!.
Last I heard they were still using them to fire lines across decks for transfers at sea.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 5:36 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I really identify with what Arkon says - for some of us, who can't leave for various reasons, Australia does seem like a prison until you find ways of coping with it. I tolerate the place now, I can't afford to leave so I make the best of it by enjoying my job, and spending the rest of the time preparing for the trips home that all my wages go on
I used to say I hate the place but hating is really a waste of energy. Tolerating it is less stressful
You say you can't afford to leave but isn't it a matter of saving up for a year or two (no holidays, etc) and then just biting the bullet and making it happen? Surely it's relatively easy when you only have yourself to consider?
Old Mar 20th 2013, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

dream on is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Before you travel 12,000 miles back..... why not try somewhere else a little closer? This is such a big country, Melbourne will be totally different to where you live and the same for Perth, where the heat will be much dryer and totally different to Melbourne. There are many choices in the country, maybe for whatever reason, you haven't made the right one for you..... yet!

I do feel for you with the noisy neighbors..... unfortunately that is the bad side of living here, too many people just don't care about the people around them.

Seriously consider not going until you have secured PR or Citizenship, just so you and your kids(?) have choices in life.
Very well put
i know just where black cab is coming from,good on him for asking for advice
some of us are struggling all over the world and need support from these forums. we all have something to offer in some way.
thanks for helping him, i hope he hasnt given up.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 1:50 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
You say you can't afford to leave but isn't it a matter of saving up for a year or two (no holidays, etc) and then just biting the bullet and making it happen? Surely it's relatively easy when you only have yourself to consider?
Easier said than done, though. Some people (I'm thinking Pollyana here) have skills which are not transferrable back to UK. My Australian nursing degree would not be very helpful in Canada; I would have to go back to a Canadian university for 1 year in order to get a license there. Pretty difficult when there's only yourself with a wage.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 2:39 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Easier said than done, though. Some people (I'm thinking Pollyana here) have skills which are not transferrable back to UK. My Australian nursing degree would not be very helpful in Canada; I would have to go back to a Canadian university for 1 year in order to get a license there. Pretty difficult when there's only yourself with a wage.
It's tough choices but better to form a plan and make it happen than to be unhappy and stuck in a country that you don't want to be in. As with nearly everything, where there's a will there's a way.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Then again, zen might have been talking about taking a camera....
Old Mar 21st 2013, 9:15 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

It's tough choices but better to form a plan and make it happen than to be unhappy and stuck in a country that you don't want to be in. As with nearly everything, where there's a will there's a way.
Really? so I could just up and leave my 7 year old here?
Old Mar 21st 2013, 9:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Main reason for staying - its taken me 10 years to fight myself back up into a good career position with a good wage - starting again as junior admin at nearly 40 was bad enough, no chance of doing it now. No qualifications, its all hard fought on the job stuff to get where I am now. If I went home I would be back at the bottom, low wage, having to watch every penny and not having the job I love - they don't have storm and cyclone watchers & planners in the UK. My best hope would be emergency planning for a council but having friends in that field back home I know I have no chance of breaking into that small field with my lack of qualifications on paper.
here at least I enjoy my work and have a reasonable lifestyle. Back home I would struggle to get either.

Come retirement age I will have a rethink.....
Old Mar 21st 2013, 9:34 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
I like that

PS,and yer son will never be a saffer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.