Giving up on Oz

Old Jan 20th 2013, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving up on Oz

That's the problem with trying to live a dream - look at where your best opportunities are and what you value in life and make your next move in that direction. A dream is just a heartbeat away from being a nightmare, you only get one life so make the most of it.

Yup, it is parky (and snowing) at the moment but at least you can rug up and get out in it!
Old Jan 20th 2013, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derab
Can I just add to the other Melbourne posts that a high percentage of the BE failure rate in Australia tends to be in the SE quarter of Queensland, lots of episodes of wanted down under bear this out too.
Now, I am not belittling Brisvegas or the Gold coast here, but it seems to me that the culture shock of coming from the UK to that particular corner of the world tends to be just that little too much for a lot of people.
I first emigrated to Christchurch NZ knowing that it was a couple of degrees warmer than London and moved to Melbourne knowing that it was another couple of degrees warmer than Christchurch. the climate is similar regarding humidity and the insects are only a little scarier here in Melbourne than SE England so I only have to deal with the culture differences.
Little steps could be your answer to settling here and I think you took quite a large one going to Brisbane, remember Australia is bigger than Europe and you wouldn't write off all of Europe because of a bad experience in Barcelona now, would you?
Yes, you have made a good comparison not to write off all of Europe because of a bad experience in Barcelona. When I moved from Adelaide to Melbourne it was a different world, not necessarily better, but a considerably different feel. Australia is a huge country to write off because of difficulties in Brisbane.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
you just have to do what your heart tells you is best. Good luck.

I agree you just need to do what your heart tells you. However, I would agree with others too that maybe you just need to have one more look and see if there is somewhere that is more amenable to you both. Somewhere you'll be happy with the neighbours and housing and maybe somewhere cooler\less insects. If your heart and head is 100% set on coming back then that is what you must do, however, perhaps you want to explore so many other options before you make the expensive no return trip back.

You don't want to be back in the UK for a while and think, we really just felt fed up with our bad neighbour, lack of sleep (torture!) and not knowing anyone (which can absolutely happen anywhere) and spending all that money coming back then maybe regret not trying another option somewhere else in Oz. Maybe where you are just now is not right for you, but that doesn't meant that somewhere else won't be brill and perfect for you both.

Originally Posted by chris955
It sounds like a very familiar story, I have lost count of how many times I have heard the UK is crap and Australia must be better, unfortunately same s..t different bucket
so true vice versa also, with so many saying Australia is crap and the UK is so much better. There are so many ping pongers out there, people who are for and against, love and hate, war and peace, white and black etc.. not just the ones that come on this forum. You do need to work out what is best for you.

You say you're not 'sure it is for us' ... sounds like your mind is not fully made up, fair enough it's a huge decision, as you know, and such an expensive one. So just before you make that massive non exchangeable one way journey.....I would say that you should sit down together, grab a notebook and write down what you really honestly want from your lifestyle and if it is just a better quieter neighbour and less insects then a quick jump back to UK may not guarantee that (she says with memories of the attack of the wasps circa 2009 ) then again, maybe the UK is for you... only you can know.

All the best and I really hope you get what you want where you want x (starting with sleep and less bites!)

and ps late 40's ... that's still young in my books!!

Last edited by Still Game; Jan 20th 2013 at 8:34 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derab
Can I just add to the other Melbourne posts that a high percentage of the BE failure rate in Australia tends to be in the SE quarter of Queensland, lots of episodes of wanted down under bear this out too.
That's a very interesting observtion. I've also observed that those British migrants complaining on this board tend to come from SE Queensland. Of course I have no facts nor could be bothered to look them up but just a general feeling I get.

I wonder if its a "nothing to do" or "lack of variety" or a "lack of opportunity" thing?
Old Jan 20th 2013, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

I think you should try having a couple of weeks in Tassie. I've found it to be the closest place to home in Australia.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martin1978
I think you should try having a couple of weeks in Tassie. I've found it to be the closest place to home in Australia.
Mrs Beoz loves holidaying in Tassie for that very reason.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 9:30 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

I can relate to your annoyance at the insects. In our last place we had what I thought were tons of roaches and it was really getting to me. I couldn't sleep, I was paranoid that they were *everywhere* (not helped by being exhausted all the time) and nothing seemed to help. Spraying the whole house (get professionals in if you can) and fly screens certainly help. Get some earplugs for the music (and complain to the council if you can? Don't know if that does anything here in Oz?) and definitely try and get away for a few days, if only to get some sleep. A few good nights sleep and some time away from the stressful situation will help you decide more clearly if you actually dislike Oz or if you're really just knackered!

Good luck : )
Old Jan 20th 2013, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

peteM is just really nicepeteM is just really nicepeteM is just really nicepeteM is just really nicepeteM is just really nicepeteM is just really nicepeteM is just really nicepeteM is just really nice

Dont give up after so little time. What you have to ask yourself is "What did I come here for?" If you went to Oz on a negative rebound from the UK then you'll have far more problems than if you approach it with positive intentions. There's no country in the world that offers paradise without putting something in. Plus, if you think the UK was bad when you left......well, in my view its even worse now! Stick it out. You're just at the equivalent of 7 years of marriage, wondering why you did it. Good luck.

Originally Posted by blackcab
Anyone, i guess many have. Been in Oz over a year, just had enough, the heat, humidity, keep getting bit, insects in the unit, just cannot settle. Noisy neighbours, our new neighbour plays his music so we can hear it clearly, asked him to turn it down, he is 20, lives there with two mates. Just takes no notice.

Its all getting to us i think, we know we left the UK because we were sick of the UK, but now we are here, wrongly or righly we think maybe its not that bad. I am in no way slagging off Australia, just not sure its for us, in our later forties, well heading there me.
Its just if we leave, we can never come back, our visa PR has expired, we have not completed two years yet, so its all over when we leave. But its starting to have an affect on my partners health. Sleeping just feeling terrible, mainly the heat, bites, noise, i guess its easier to cope when you have to keep warm and are not covered in bites that itch. Build into that a lack of sleep, having to drive ebverywhere, know very few people, and paying out 50% of our income in rent. We feel like we are no happier, just warmer. We live in a lovely area, Ascot, just north of Brisbane. But me especially, i could baord a flight tonight, i know when i get home, i will regret it. Well thats my moan, just wanted to tell someone.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 10:20 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps try somewhere else in Brisbane - it is certainly possible to find quiet neighbourhoods and units with air-con and fly screens.

If you're not sleeping well I expect you're completely fraught - probably not the best time to be making big decisions.

Best of luck that things get better for you.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 12:42 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

1. Noisy neighbours can be a problem wherever you live - they are a reason for moving to a different part of Brisbane or Australia, not for leaving altogether. You may just as easily have the same problem back in the UK.

2. If you are paying 50% of income in rent, why are you living in what is probably one of the most expensive suburbs in Brisbane? Solve all your problems at once by moving to somewhere like Nundah, Northgate, Wavell Heights, Virginia - all in the same general area but significantly lower rents.

3. This year is unfortunately particularly bad for mosquitos, but if you want to sit outside (and in this weather where else would you want to sit) then there are plenty of insect repellant methods you can use - or go indoors and close all the insect screens.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone, i guess many have. Been in Oz over a year, just had enough, the heat, humidity, keep getting bit, insects in the unit, just cannot settle. Noisy neighbours, our new neighbour plays his music so we can hear it clearly, asked him to turn it down, he is 20, lives there with two mates. Just takes no notice.

Its all getting to us i think, we know we left the UK because we were sick of the UK, but now we are here, wrongly or righly we think maybe its not that bad. I am in no way slagging off Australia, just not sure its for us, in our later forties, well heading there me.
Its just if we leave, we can never come back, our visa PR has expired, we have not completed two years yet, so its all over when we leave. But its starting to have an affect on my partners health. Sleeping just feeling terrible, mainly the heat, bites, noise, i guess its easier to cope when you have to keep warm and are not covered in bites that itch. Build into that a lack of sleep, having to drive ebverywhere, know very few people, and paying out 50% of our income in rent. We feel like we are no happier, just warmer. We live in a lovely area, Ascot, just north of Brisbane. But me especially, i could baord a flight tonight, i know when i get home, i will regret it. Well thats my moan, just wanted to tell someone.
I would wait 2 months. Summer in Austrslia is pretty much hell no matter which bit you live in. Do you want extreme heat, extreme UV, monsoon and flood, dry furnace heat with a zillion flies ......

Brisbanes summers are actually pretty mild as australian summers go

If you hate it in winter too, then go, but dont rush off on account of summer.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 1:35 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Solution: move out of SE Queensland for a start. I agree with the poster who said about the return rate being higher from SEQ. I read it so many times. Also, you have to get a decent place to live. You cannot live next to a load of teenage scrote sacks playing aggressive music and enjoy life ANYWHERE. The noise thing is a problem because there are no real laws to protect people from noisy neighbours/barking dogs etc so you just have to keep moving on like vagrants until you find somewhere quiet. It's just our culture I'm afraid.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 1:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
1. Noisy neighbours can be a problem wherever you live - they are a reason for moving to a different part of Brisbane or Australia, not for leaving altogether. You may just as easily have the same problem back in the UK.

2. If you are paying 50% of income in rent, why are you living in what is probably one of the most expensive suburbs in Brisbane? Solve all your problems at once by moving to somewhere like Nundah, Northgate, Wavell Heights, Virginia - all in the same general area but significantly lower rents.

3. This year is unfortunately particularly bad for mosquitos, but if you want to sit outside (and in this weather where else would you want to sit) then there are plenty of insect repellant methods you can use - or go indoors and close all the insect screens.

1. I have a dog barking in the house next to me right now. In my last place in London the lady upstairs always had noisy sex. I just can't win on the noise issue.

2. That's gotta be self imposed surely and not related to Oz, Brisbane or any particular place.

3. Eastern Subs of Syd. No fly screens, windows and doors open constantly, not a sign of a mozzie. Had the odd blow fly though.

Probably just a bad day
Old Jan 21st 2013, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynetteh
Come down to Melbourne. The weather is much more moderate here, with just enough properly hot days for the beach/BBQ but virtually no humidity or annoying insects.
Moderate, Melbourne? I reckon it's more moderate in Brisbane overall. More pleasant days with not as extreme temperatures...
Old Jan 21st 2013, 7:07 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Moderate, Melbourne? I reckon it's more moderate in Brisbane overall. More pleasant days with not as extreme temperatures...
However detestable the Adelaide highs are, I know I wouldn't be able to make it through the humidity of Brisbane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.