Giving up on Oz

Old Mar 23rd 2013, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving up on Oz

Originally Posted by quoll
Nothing beats belonging IMHO. So go where you feel you belong! It's been 18 fabulous months for me here back in UK and though I know I shall be dragged back kicking and screaming to the boredom of Australia at some point (the wanderlust may well return, of course given enough time and I may just be screaming and not kicking when the time comes) I am having a wonderful time belonging at the moment. Life in Australia was certainly far worse for me - but, horses for courses I guess!
Psychologists say that one of the most important factors for happiness is a persons ability to make connections with other people and the sense of solidarity with others. The so-called Anglo Saxon countries are probably the most individualistic societies on the planet so I see this as an issue in both Oz and the UK. Having lived in a latin country I do think their societies are better at fostering social connectedness.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budawang
Psychologists say that one of the most important factors for happiness is a persons ability to make connections with other people and the sense of solidarity with others. The so-called Anglo Saxon countries are probably the most individualistic societies on the planet so I see this as an issue in both Oz and the UK. Having lived in a latin country I do think their societies are better at fostering social connectedness.
Yup, belonging is right up there on Maslow's hierarchy right after the physiological and safety needs - more important than people think.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 12:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I guess the flipside of that coin is why do you find so many Aussies in Earls Court and not more Germans?
Things have changed. Try Clapham
Old Mar 25th 2013, 2:21 am
Just Joined

LizzieTYK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beoz
Things have changed. Try Clapham
I lived in Clapham for 7 years until the end of last year. I can honestly say that the only Australians I ever came across were those outside 'the Church' every Sunday afternoon, and the huge drunken queue outside Infernos at lunchtime on Australia day. Don't know where Clapham gets this huge Oz reputation from tbh.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LizzieTYK
I lived in Clapham for 7 years until the end of last year. I can honestly say that the only Australians I ever came across were those outside 'the Church' every Sunday afternoon, and the huge drunken queue outside Infernos at lunchtime on Australia day. Don't know where Clapham gets this huge Oz reputation from tbh.
When I first moved to Clapham in 99 there were zero Aussies. When I left in 2010 there were a lot. What constitutes a lot I cannot say but it is something more than zero.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 5:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I guess the flipside of that coin is why do you find so many Aussies in Earls Court
Not any more, too expensive. They're all in the west - Acton, Shepherds Bush etc.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Willesden Green, tons of aussies there.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 5:57 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Willesden Green, tons of aussies there.
Queens Park more like
Old Mar 25th 2013, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budawang
I agree - and then there are countries like Switzerland - a friend has told me this - with a culture based on Calvinism so on the one hand you can have a Swiss man eating cheese and speaking French and all in touch with his feminine side feeling that the rest of society thinks he doesn't work hard enough.. in a country which is quite small.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Oh. My understanding of the term is different, but then again I don't read the tabloids.
A true-blue Aussie battler doesn't have to be on benefits or even have a sense of entitlement. To me, it's just a usually, unskilled working class person whose life is a bit of a battle due to their position, educationally or economically, in life. The attitude is one of an endless cycle and self-fulfilling procephies. It's no different to a British battler to be honest.
Perhaps the Australian has a sense of entitlement due to the fact he or she feels he or she needs a fair go. The UK battler probably doesn't talk about fair goes, they accept their position but there is not much they can do to better themselves.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Mar 25th 2013 at 10:30 am.