Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

getting rid of ants

getting rid of ants

Old Jul 18th 2013, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default getting rid of ants

getting rid of antsjust moved or about to move into our rental when our stuff arrives and noticed there is sand in the paving pushed up by ants ok i know they are common over here. I dont want to get or pay for pest control so am looking for some from diy store to get rid i hear andro or whatever its called is good but its was way expensive. im looking for something cheap but works and noticed there was a huge choice and want to get it right first time,what do yiu recommend?also i see there was some on the kitchen tops so wanna be able to use in and outside.i would be greatfull of info on what to get Share
Old Jul 18th 2013, 9:39 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting rid of ants

Originally Posted by brian.w
getting rid of antsjust moved or about to move into our rental when our stuff arrives and noticed there is sand in the paving pushed up by ants ok i know they are common over here. I dont want to get or pay for pest control so am looking for some from diy store to get rid i hear andro or whatever its called is good but its was way expensive. im looking for something cheap but works and noticed there was a huge choice and want to get it right first time,what do yiu recommend?also i see there was some on the kitchen tops so wanna be able to use in and outside.i would be greatfull of info on what to get Share
You aren't really going to get rid of the outside ones. They will jsut keep coming - learn to live with those.

Inside the house, the best prevention is hygiene. Keep your work surfaces and food storage areas clean and food debris free. You can get normal topical spray just as Mortein, but personally, I don't like to spray inside the house

I use an external spray that you spray around the outside edge of the house, around doors, windows, eaves etc. Mortein. Around $35-30 for a large bottle. Bottle will last about 6 months (approx 2 external applications for an average size house). Seems to have done the job here. You can get it at Coles and Woolworths
Old Jul 18th 2013, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Follow the track and plug up the holes
Old Jul 18th 2013, 9:58 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
They do seem to walk the same routes, one behind the other don't they
Old Jul 18th 2013, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Spray around doors or windows where they come in with Crawly Cruncher - looks like this

http://www.gettrapped.com.au/index.p...&product_id=58

Available in Woolies, Bunnings etc.

Ant traps also work if you have an ant pathway inside the house.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 12:16 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

The little ones are often attracted by damp too. I found a quick squirt of Mortein where they are coming in works and as has been mentioned barrier spray.

Don't try and get rid of them outside as has been said its a losing battle.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Borax mixed with water and honey. Leave a few drops, and if they are sugar ants (the tiny ones) they will take it back to the nest and die. Be prepared for a huge swarm of ants to be attracted to the stuff first and lots of corpses though.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 12:59 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

We had to get the outside of the house sprayed. We used Ant Rid which took care of them for a bit inside but they kept coming back, randomly enough, in the bathroom! We had the house sprayed about 8 weeks ago, so far so good!
Old Jul 19th 2013, 1:29 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Blue tack works for this
Old Jul 19th 2013, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

If they are at infestation levels inside the dwelling you have rented it is likely the responsibility of the owner , if infestation is the case get in touch with the owner or the managing agent--whoever you pay the rent to--and have them get the place professionally treated ,it will be the only way you will get shut of them.

If they are the little tiny ones they are likely sugar ants , do not leave ipods and electrical stuff around anywhere near where you see the ants, they'll get into them and stuff them up, check out your TV and audio equipment and wiring the same goes for the car/garage , they love getting into the ECU, they got in a car I had in the territory which I bombed to get them out , I was lucky I got them before they'd settled in.

There are a whole bunch of Antrid solutions--in fact one called , you guessed it- "Ant Rid" check out the labels on the stuff in the supermarket or Bunnings and pick the stuff that most appropriate for your problem.

I just bought a highset house in Hervey Bay that had been empty for a while and it had an ant issue , I just got the professionals in, it cost $100 and the work is guaranteed , it's nearly cheaper than DIY by the time you've gone through all the bottle for this bottle for that routine.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 4:16 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Blummin' things. We have them here too. They get into the electrics and that causes havoc. We gave up on the ant gel stuff as they kept on coming and appeared to be gaining weight. Will be switching to an ant powder.

We have the house sprayed annually but at the first sign of rains , those ants are running for the cover of the house.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 5:07 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Blummin' things. We have them here too. They get into the electrics and that causes havoc. We gave up on the ant gel stuff as they kept on coming and appeared to be gaining weight. Will be switching to an ant powder.

We have the house sprayed annually but at the first sign of rains , those ants are running for the cover of the house.
Be careful with the powder stuff if you have pets Bev. Wasn't it ant powder that made Penny's cat so sick?
Old Jul 19th 2013, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

I have used talcum powder along the windows and in gaps where the little beggers get into the house. They don't seem to like to walk over it and didn't harm any animals we had at the time (except a sneezing kitty who poked her nose in it!)
Old May 19th 2015, 8:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Right, i know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but unlike the OP i will come back and express my thanks to anyone with a good solution and I didn't wnat people to have to retype what they'd put here already.

My issue is the tiny ants - I think they are sometimes called sugar ants. I live in an old wooden unit and they seem to have taken up residence in the exterior wall of the bathroom. In the last 12 months they have increased in number and in determination. The landlord put silicon ceiling around the edge of the bath last August, but they have now eaten through it in several places, to the extent that one end of the bath can be black with them within 12 hours. Sometimes they don't appear for a week or so, but they always come back eventually. they don't travel far, just circle the corner of the bath until they get dizzy.
Vinegar round the edge of the bath worked for a while but they have now eaten too much of the silicon and just reappear in different spots each time.
After finding this thread I've put down antrid baits,which caught seveal hundred in 24hours but they can't stay in place for long because of needing to use the bath!
I've also used blutak to try and plug the most obvious gaps, and thats worked - at least they haven't eaten it yet- but they are just emerging in other places now.

So.....I need to find maybe some kind of silicon to plug the gap around the bath, between the bath and the tiles, which ants can't eat! And which yours truly, least d-i-y ish person on the planet, can put in place without troubling my ancient Greek landlord

Any ideas? Hoping Cresta may have some solution known only to tilers.....!?
Old May 19th 2015, 11:26 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Polly don't get the Antrid baits but the drops instead, put few drops in the window sills and few drops on a small dish nearby, that thing works magic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.