Reload this Page >

Getting a mobile phone

Getting a mobile phone

Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:43 am
Just Joined

FixedFlush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a mobile phone

Hey all,

Coming back home to Oz shortly. As I recall, there is a rigmarole to get even a prepay mobile. Is this still true.

I will be needing a mobile almost straight away, even if still in a hotel. But is there all these ID and proof of residence requirements still?
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:52 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a mobile phone

Originally Posted by FixedFlush
Hey all,

Coming back home to Oz shortly. As I recall, there is a rigmarole to get even a prepay mobile. Is this still true.

I will be needing a mobile almost straight away, even if still in a hotel. But is there all these ID and proof of residence requirements still?
They want ID for the SIM (dumb, but someone obviously watched the Bourne Ultimatum), but a passport will do.

Get a phone that will do 850 AND 900 Ghz and you can pick which network you go with depending on who's got the best reception. IIRC the Nexus 4 is now back in stock and should ship fairly quickly.

IIRC Kogan do a good deal now on SIMs now.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:57 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Passport will do, I go through the same procedure each time I'm there when purchasing a SIM for data.

Speaking of mobile phones, is it just me or has Telstra become competitive in recent times?
Old Feb 26th 2013, 4:19 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Speaking of mobile phones, is it just me or has Telstra become competitive in recent times?
Kogan are using the Telstra 3G network, but offering Unlimited Calls, Unlimited SMS and 6GB pm for $29 pm or $299 pa. Telstra.....aren't.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 4:36 am

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Do they have access to Telstra's 4G network which is the biggest in the country (and the only one of any serious coverage at present)? Just curious as I don't need it for my phone, but was planning on getting a Telstra prepaid data modem next month.

As for my phone I will definitely consider them at such a price, though I'm more into prepaid deals everywhere I live.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 5:07 am

Ok, just read about them on cnet and it appears they use the Telstra network without 4G, have internet speeds limited, and you can pretty much treat it as a prepaid service. Very good prices though, especially for the annual package.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 5:20 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Do they have access to Telstra's 4G network which is the biggest in the country (and the only one of any serious coverage at present)? Just curious as I don't need it for my phone, but was planning on getting a Telstra prepaid data modem next month.

As for my phone I will definitely consider them at such a price, though I'm more into prepaid deals everywhere I live.
Yeah, Telstra are trying to keep 4G to themselves at the mo. Even with their build out, I wouldn't call the coverage that great, and for most people 3G is sufficient anyway.

Here's hoping that sensible month by month prices like these will force other providers to up their game and cut their prices.

$100 pm just for service
Old Feb 26th 2013, 6:45 am
Just Joined

FixedFlush is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers thank you
Old Feb 26th 2013, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by GarryP
Here's hoping that sensible month by month prices like these will force other providers to up their game and cut their prices.

$100 pm just for service
I've been looking at Telstra (the last time I looked 1-2 years ago they were a big no-no in terms of prices) and they seem very competitive on the iPhone contracts. Whereas other telcos seem to have this hidden charge in addition to the monthly tariff, Telstra doesn't muck around like this and just gives you the end price. And it's a decent one too.

But I've mainly been considering their prepaid deals and they have one tariff there called "Simplicity" which appeared quite decent for someone like myself who doesn't use the mobile much: you pay $100 for 6 mths validity and then you pay just 15c/min. Obviously a data add-on will be needed but still, at those rates - and even if I need to top up a bit more - I don't think I'll break the $30/mth barrier.

On a side note, is there a site that shows where all telcos have their base stations located?
Old Feb 26th 2013, 8:36 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

But I've mainly been considering their prepaid deals and they have one tariff there called "Simplicity" which appeared quite decent for someone like myself who doesn't use the mobile much: you pay $100 for 6 mths validity and then you pay just 15c/min. Obviously a data add-on will be needed but still, at those rates - and even if I need to top up a bit more - I don't think I'll break the $30/mth barrier.
Seems still pretty poor.

For instance, Virgin Mobile Pre-Paid Simple plan - $19, valid for 90 days, $19 credit, free calls to other virgin numbers, 15c for calls to other networks otherwise, and 100MB of inc data. Depends how much you use it, you can pay more and get more inclusive calls, and unused rolls over.

Even if Telstra are slightly less of a joke, the others have moved at the same time. I'd still say they were behind the curve.

On a side note, is there a site that shows where all telcos have their base stations located?
They won't tell you exactly where the base stations are, that's a commercial secret to them. Mind you can usually work it out from the radiation patterns and a little looking around.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 11:04 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

I agree that Telstra are still not in the ball park unless you NEED 4G speeds, if you do then you have to decide your money/sense equation.
for us mere mortals, I have a plan that costs me $100 a month. for that money I get 2 mobiles (sim only) with $550 worth of calls on each, free calls within the network and 1.5 GB of data per mobile. Also I get a non metered ADSL2 connection, unlimited domestic calls from my land line and 100 minutes of international calls per month to most mainstream countries. there are a few more perks which I do not use but telstra cannot get within cooee of the TPG prices for the stuff I would use. nice try, but no contest telstra.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute

Whats the best sim for an iPhone that isn't a contract but comes with an internet allowance - like a monthly paid sort of thing? I have been here almost a year but still haven't sorted my UK iPhone out!
Old Mar 1st 2013, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by DanSolihull
Whats the best sim for an iPhone that isn't a contract but comes with an internet allowance - like a monthly paid sort of thing? I have been here almost a year but still haven't sorted my UK iPhone out!
i use amaysim pay as you go, but look here.
https://www.amaysim.com.au/mobile-pl...unlimited.html
Old Mar 1st 2013, 9:38 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by billymacker
i use amaysim pay as you go, but look here.
https://www.amaysim.com.au/mobile-pl...unlimited.html
The Kogan one (mentioned above, $29 unlimited/6GB) is worth a look, and Aldi are releasing a similar service (with different package shapes) on wednesday. The 365day/$15 for emergency use seems useful. Both on Telstra.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/03...ing-and-plans/
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by GarryP
Seems still pretty poor.

For instance, Virgin Mobile Pre-Paid Simple plan - $19, valid for 90 days, $19 credit, free calls to other virgin numbers, 15c for calls to other networks otherwise, and 100MB of inc data.
This looks quite good. A little bit short on the data, but cheap calls (also same price to international destinations!) and free virgin-to-virgin could make things doable at $19 a month or so.

Also, for the regular prepaid cap it seems that your 5th and subsequent top-ups will give decent credit.

The thing is that at $19 you're just a short step from having it all at $29 with Kogan. And with the annual pack at $299 you're looking at <$25/mth.

With Kogan is it a true prepaid service with no contract required or do they make you sign anything?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.