Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Jul 14th 2016, 5:48 pm   #1
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 3
jrickman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default General Advice Need (Particularly from Civl Engineers!!!)

Hi,
I was looking at the possibility of moving to Australia from the UK next year and dont really know where to begin with it all so any help would be much appreciated. Little background;
I'm 27 years old, currently working as a Civil Engineer (4 years work experience), I am also currently working toward a HND in Civil Engineering on a day release course (will graduate June 2017). Upon graduation I want to be looking at getting out to Australia ASAP. Does anyone know the job propects available in this field?
In regards to the visa, I've done a quick assessment online and recieved an email to say that I would be eligable for the working holiday visa, and a skilled independant visa, which would cost £349 and £6000+ respectively. Is this correct?
Finally a couple of questions aimed at people within the construction industry, does anyone happen to know what the chances are for civil engineering firms within the Sydney area sponsering visa applicants?
Would becoming accredited intially through the Institute of Civil Engineers here in the UK then with Engineers Australia help me with finding a job over there? And finally,
I would greatly appreciate any advice at all, thanks
jrickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th 2016, 2:28 am   #2
Beoz 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,573
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General Advice Need (Particularly from Civl Engineers!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrickman View Post
Hi,
I was looking at the possibility of moving to Australia from the UK next year and dont really know where to begin with it all so any help would be much appreciated. Little background;
I'm 27 years old, currently working as a Civil Engineer (4 years work experience), I am also currently working toward a HND in Civil Engineering on a day release course (will graduate June 2017). Upon graduation I want to be looking at getting out to Australia ASAP. Does anyone know the job propects available in this field?
In regards to the visa, I've done a quick assessment online and recieved an email to say that I would be eligable for the working holiday visa, and a skilled independant visa, which would cost £349 and £6000+ respectively. Is this correct?
Finally a couple of questions aimed at people within the construction industry, does anyone happen to know what the chances are for civil engineering firms within the Sydney area sponsering visa applicants?
Would becoming accredited intially through the Institute of Civil Engineers here in the UK then with Engineers Australia help me with finding a job over there? And finally,
I would greatly appreciate any advice at all, thanks
Lots of work in Syd and Mel right now. Take the working holiday, get a feel, make contacts. Easiest starting point.
Beoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th 2016, 4:08 am   #3
still chillin'
Moderator
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: slough - Adelaide
Posts: 26,342
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General Advice Need (Particularly from Civl Engineers!!!)

Engineers Australia will require a degree for an assessment as a civil engineer.

Civil engineering technician only requires a AQF diploma (HNC equivalent), is on the CSOL and is assessed by Vetassess - https://www.vetassess.com.au/skills-...al-occupations


Quote:
Civil Engineering Technician (ANZSCO Code 312212)

This occupation requires a qualification assessed as comparable to the educational level of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Diploma, in a field highly relevant to the nominated occupation.


In addition to this, applicants must have at least one year of post-qualification employment at an appropriate skill level completed in the last five years in a field which is highly relevant to the nominated occupation. If employment is not post-qualification, then three additional years of highly relevant employment are required.


If the qualification is not in a highly relevant field, two years of employment at an appropriate skill level, completed in the last five years which is highly relevant to the nominated occupation is required. This is reduced to one year if there is an additional qualification at least at AQF Certificate IV level in a highly relevant field.


A positive assessment of both qualifications and employment is required for a positive Skills Assessment Outcome.
old.sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th 2016, 4:55 am   #4
Card Carrying Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 22,864
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General Advice Need (Particularly from Civl Engineers!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrickman View Post
Hi,
I was looking at the possibility of moving to Australia from the UK next year and dont really know where to begin with it all so any help would be much appreciated. Little background;
I'm 27 years old, currently working as a Civil Engineer (4 years work experience), I am also currently working toward a HND in Civil Engineering on a day release course (will graduate June 2017). Upon graduation I want to be looking at getting out to Australia ASAP. Does anyone know the job propects available in this field?
In regards to the visa, I've done a quick assessment online and recieved an email to say that I would be eligable for the working holiday visa, and a skilled independant visa, which would cost £349 and £6000+ respectively. Is this correct?
Finally a couple of questions aimed at people within the construction industry, does anyone happen to know what the chances are for civil engineering firms within the Sydney area sponsering visa applicants?
Would becoming accredited intially through the Institute of Civil Engineers here in the UK then with Engineers Australia help me with finding a job over there? And finally,
I would greatly appreciate any advice at all, thanks
Just be aware that Engineers Australia are pathetic and full of shit - a terrible organisation to deal with - you should have seen how many hoops our Italian friend with a PhD in petrochemical engineering had to jump through. Your HND will not be recognised for engineer status

I have avoided them like the plague

Good luck
__________________
Australia/UK - Same sh*t, different bucket
The Wallaby, still the bitch of the Springbok.
Amazulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th 2016, 1:36 pm   #5
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 3
jrickman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: General Advice Need (Particularly from Civl Engineers!!!)

Thanks for the replies, really gives me a starting point.
I have noticed that Engineers Australia arnt the greatest in that they haven't responded to either of my two emails.
Would anyone happen to know whether it would be help if i became accredited with the Institute of Civil Engineers here in the UK before I try to go through Engineers Australia to try and speed things up a bit? I know that they have a shared system when in comes to accreditation between the two.
Thanks again.
jrickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th 2016, 5:13 pm   #6
still chillin'
Moderator
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: slough - Adelaide
Posts: 26,342
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General Advice Need (Particularly from Civl Engineers!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrickman View Post
Thanks for the replies, really gives me a starting point.
I have noticed that Engineers Australia arnt the greatest in that they haven't responded to either of my two emails.
Would anyone happen to know whether it would be help if i became accredited with the Institute of Civil Engineers here in the UK before I try to go through Engineers Australia to try and speed things up a bit? I know that they have a shared system when in comes to accreditation between the two.
Thanks again.
The requirements for Engineer level are a degree - not sure if they would recognise you without that.

How did you contact them? Their response time is 2-3 days from experience.
old.sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th 2016, 7:14 pm   #7
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 3
jrickman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: General Advice Need (Particularly from Civl Engineers!!!)

I messaged them through their 'contact us' message system on the website. Although I am slightly concerned that any potential response could of been sent to my junk email inbox and subsequently been deleted before I had a chance to check.
I've just sent them another message now though so hopefully they can shed some light on the whole ICE/EA membership situation.
jrickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th 2016, 10:03 am   #8
still chillin'
Moderator
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: slough - Adelaide
Posts: 26,342
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General Advice Need (Particularly from Civl Engineers!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrickman View Post
I messaged them through their 'contact us' message system on the website. Although I am slightly concerned that any potential response could of been sent to my junk email inbox and subsequently been deleted before I had a chance to check.
I've just sent them another message now though so hopefully they can shed some light on the whole ICE/EA membership situation.
Are you getting the automated response?

There's a few contact links - the one here https://www.engineersaustralia.org.a...ent/contact-us may be useful, and another at the bottom of this page - https://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/membership/join
old.sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 4:19 pm   #9
Lost in the antipodes
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 496
msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General Advice Need (Particularly from Civl Engineers!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrickman View Post
Thanks for the replies, really gives me a starting point.
I have noticed that Engineers Australia arnt the greatest in that they haven't responded to either of my two emails.
Would anyone happen to know whether it would be help if i became accredited with the Institute of Civil Engineers here in the UK before I try to go through Engineers Australia to try and speed things up a bit? I know that they have a shared system when in comes to accreditation between the two.
Thanks again.
To be honest I don't think membership to ICE will help in your application.

From what you have written you'll have to complete a CDR for assessment, now you may have had to complete a written application for ICE that you could probably chop and change to speed things up a bit, but I wouldn't have thought membership alone is enough for EA.
msmyrtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th 2017, 10:09 am   #10
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 5
Tom.ask88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: General Advice Need (Particularly from Civl Engineers!!!)

Hi any updates to your plans?

I'm a construction site engineer moving out next month with a 1 year working visa hoping to find some work.
I have a degree and 5+ years experience so I'm optimistic with what I've read and been told by others.
Tom.ask88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th 2017, 10:13 am   #11
old age pensioner
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Seaton
Posts: 20,672
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General Advice Need (Particularly from Civl Engineers!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.ask88 View Post
Hi any updates to your plans?

I'm a construction site engineer moving out next month with a 1 year working visa hoping to find some work.
I have a degree and 5+ years experience so I'm optimistic with what I've read and been told by others.
The OP hasn't posted since the first three posts in July 2016, so has probably left BE. Please have a read of the other posts in the thread as they tell you what you need to do to become accredited in Australia.
mikelincs is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 6:12 am.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com