British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   General Advice Need (Particularly from Civl Engineers!!!) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/general-advice-need-particularly-civl-engineers-880407/)

jrickman Jul 14th 2016 5:48 pm

General Advice Need (Particularly from Civl Engineers!!!)

Hi,
I was looking at the possibility of moving to Australia from the UK next year and dont really know where to begin with it all so any help would be much appreciated. Little background;
I'm 27 years old, currently working as a Civil Engineer (4 years work experience), I am also currently working toward a HND in Civil Engineering on a day release course (will graduate June 2017). Upon graduation I want to be looking at getting out to Australia ASAP. Does anyone know the job propects available in this field?
In regards to the visa, I've done a quick assessment online and recieved an email to say that I would be eligable for the working holiday visa, and a skilled independant visa, which would cost £349 and £6000+ respectively. Is this correct?
Finally a couple of questions aimed at people within the construction industry, does anyone happen to know what the chances are for civil engineering firms within the Sydney area sponsering visa applicants?
Would becoming accredited intially through the Institute of Civil Engineers here in the UK then with Engineers Australia help me with finding a job over there? And finally,
I would greatly appreciate any advice at all, thanks

Beoz Jul 15th 2016 2:28 am

Re: General Advice Need (Particularly from Civl Engineers!!!)

Originally Posted by jrickman (Post 12002659)
Hi,
I was looking at the possibility of moving to Australia from the UK next year and dont really know where to begin with it all so any help would be much appreciated. Little background;
I'm 27 years old, currently working as a Civil Engineer (4 years work experience), I am also currently working toward a HND in Civil Engineering on a day release course (will graduate June 2017). Upon graduation I want to be looking at getting out to Australia ASAP. Does anyone know the job propects available in this field?
In regards to the visa, I've done a quick assessment online and recieved an email to say that I would be eligable for the working holiday visa, and a skilled independant visa, which would cost £349 and £6000+ respectively. Is this correct?
Finally a couple of questions aimed at people within the construction industry, does anyone happen to know what the chances are for civil engineering firms within the Sydney area sponsering visa applicants?
Would becoming accredited intially through the Institute of Civil Engineers here in the UK then with Engineers Australia help me with finding a job over there? And finally,

Lots of work in Syd and Mel right now. Take the working holiday, get a feel, make contacts. Easiest starting point.

old.sparkles Jul 15th 2016 4:08 am

Engineers Australia will require a degree for an assessment as a civil engineer.

Civil engineering technician only requires a AQF diploma (HNC equivalent), is on the CSOL and is assessed by Vetassess - https://www.vetassess.com.au/skills-...al-occupations

Civil Engineering Technician (ANZSCO Code 312212)

This occupation requires a qualification assessed as comparable to the educational level of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Diploma, in a field highly relevant to the nominated occupation.

In addition to this, applicants must have at least one year of post-qualification employment at an appropriate skill level completed in the last five years in a field which is highly relevant to the nominated occupation. If employment is not post-qualification, then three additional years of highly relevant employment are required.

If the qualification is not in a highly relevant field, two years of employment at an appropriate skill level, completed in the last five years which is highly relevant to the nominated occupation is required. This is reduced to one year if there is an additional qualification at least at AQF Certificate IV level in a highly relevant field.

A positive assessment of both qualifications and employment is required for a positive Skills Assessment Outcome.

Amazulu Jul 15th 2016 4:55 am

Originally Posted by jrickman (Post 12002659)
Hi,

Just be aware that Engineers Australia are pathetic and full of shit - a terrible organisation to deal with - you should have seen how many hoops our Italian friend with a PhD in petrochemical engineering had to jump through. Your HND will not be recognised for engineer status

I have avoided them like the plague

Good luck

jrickman Jul 15th 2016 1:36 pm

Thanks for the replies, really gives me a starting point.
I have noticed that Engineers Australia arnt the greatest in that they haven't responded to either of my two emails.
Would anyone happen to know whether it would be help if i became accredited with the Institute of Civil Engineers here in the UK before I try to go through Engineers Australia to try and speed things up a bit? I know that they have a shared system when in comes to accreditation between the two.
Thanks again.

old.sparkles Jul 15th 2016 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by jrickman (Post 12003303)
I have noticed that Engineers Australia arnt the greatest in that they haven't responded to either of my two emails.
Would anyone happen to know whether it would be help if i became accredited with the Institute of Civil Engineers here in the UK before I try to go through Engineers Australia to try and speed things up a bit? I know that they have a shared system when in comes to accreditation between the two.
Thanks again.

The requirements for Engineer level are a degree - not sure if they would recognise you without that.

How did you contact them? Their response time is 2-3 days from experience.

jrickman Jul 15th 2016 7:14 pm

I messaged them through their 'contact us' message system on the website. Although I am slightly concerned that any potential response could of been sent to my junk email inbox and subsequently been deleted before I had a chance to check.
I've just sent them another message now though so hopefully they can shed some light on the whole ICE/EA membership situation.

old.sparkles Jul 16th 2016 10:03 am

Originally Posted by jrickman (Post 12003562)
I messaged them through their 'contact us' message system on the website. Although I am slightly concerned that any potential response could of been sent to my junk email inbox and subsequently been deleted before I had a chance to check.
I've just sent them another message now though so hopefully they can shed some light on the whole ICE/EA membership situation.

Are you getting the automated response?

There's a few contact links - the one here https://www.engineersaustralia.org.a...ent/contact-us may be useful, and another at the bottom of this page - https://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/membership/join

msmyrtle Jul 23rd 2016 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by jrickman (Post 12003303)
Thanks again.

To be honest I don't think membership to ICE will help in your application.

From what you have written you'll have to complete a CDR for assessment, now you may have had to complete a written application for ICE that you could probably chop and change to speed things up a bit, but I wouldn't have thought membership alone is enough for EA.

Tom.ask88 Apr 17th 2017 10:09 am

Hi any updates to your plans?

I'm a construction site engineer moving out next month with a 1 year working visa hoping to find some work.
I have a degree and 5+ years experience so I'm optimistic with what I've read and been told by others.

mikelincs Apr 17th 2017 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Tom.ask88 (Post 12230646)
Hi any updates to your plans?

I'm a construction site engineer moving out next month with a 1 year working visa hoping to find some work.
I have a degree and 5+ years experience so I'm optimistic with what I've read and been told by others.

The OP hasn't posted since the first three posts in July 2016, so has probably left BE. Please have a read of the other posts in the thread as they tell you what you need to do to become accredited in Australia.