Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Geko Lamps and Window Sun Shades?

Geko Lamps and Window Sun Shades?

Old Jan 22nd 2014, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light
Default Geko Lamps and Window Sun Shades?

Two questions.

Anyone got any experience of using one of these Geko lamps?

http://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?q=geko

We have nets, but there are gaps, and the little gits keep getting in, do they work?

Also, my bedroom window faces the sun rising, it gets so so hot in the morning, no aircon, no ceiling fans. The silver sun shades for your cars, can you buy similar for your unit? Something you can just stand on the window sill inside the unit to block out the heat of the sun against the glass?

Thanks
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 1:10 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Geko Lamps and Window Sun Shades?

Originally Posted by blackcab
Two questions.

We have nets, but there are gaps, and the little gits keep getting in, do they work?

Also, my bedroom window faces the sun rising, it gets so so hot in the morning, no aircon, no ceiling fans. The silver sun shades for your cars, can you buy similar for your unit? Something you can just stand on the window sill inside the unit to block out the heat of the sun against the glass?

Thanks
Let them in! If you have geckoes you won't be troubled by other insects, they even see off cockroaches!
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Let them in! If you have geckoes you won't be troubled by other insects, they even see off cockroaches!
No, Geckoes are all outside, cannot let them in, they run around, just puzzle me.

I am hoping the lamp will zap all the Mozzies, legs and ankles are bitten very badly, new unit you see.

Was on anitbiotics over xmas not bitten once, since they are out my system, biting again, makes life very difficult, itching all the time.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice

Put heavy duty aluminium foil up on your windows. Works...apparently...
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter's bedroom is the same, one window facing the morning sun. I bought one of these and use it 24/7. It's got sucker cups so can easily be moved or removed.

Gro Anywhere Blackout Blind
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jackieh23
Put heavy duty aluminium foil up on your windows. Works...apparently...
Thanks
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tartankoala
My daughter's bedroom is the same, one window facing the morning sun. I bought one of these and use it 24/7. It's got sucker cups so can easily be moved or removed.

Gro Anywhere Blackout Blind
Brilliant, never thought of that....Thanks
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant, never thought of that....Thanks
No worries, shop around you might find them cheaper somewhere else. I just used that link as an example.

Before you buy, make sure it's big enough to fit your window.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tartankoala
No worries, shop around you might find them cheaper somewhere else. I just used that link as an example.

Before you buy, make sure it's big enough to fit your window.
Yeh it will work wonders, i do nights, so if it keeps the heat and the sun out, well i might just get some quality sleep.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170609124...l2649#ht_0wt_0

Anyone interested, these look pretty damn fine value, 6 by 8 meters of covering as well.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 12:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Two questions.

Thanks
Geckos in your house is part of living in Australia

They do more good than harm and are fun to have around
Old Jan 26th 2014, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Geckos in your house is part of living in Australia

They do more good than harm and are fun to have around
No the lamps are for the mozzies and moths. We have a small gap beiween the nets and the window frames, also they get in when we enter the unit.

The lamps to zap the mozzies and them other little blighters than keep biting me and herindoors....