Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Furnished Rental in Aus

Furnished Rental in Aus

Old Jun 24th 2010, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

stuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura about
Default Furnished Rental in Aus

Hi guys,

from experience or knowledge, what's the balance between furnished and unfurnished 6-12 month rentals in Aus (my interest being acquiring furnished rentals). In case each city is different I guess this question is more aimed at Melbourne, but happy to hear about general knowledge around Aus. Living in London its about a 50-50 mix of rentals being available furnished or unfurnished, but I know around other parts of the UK rentals are a bit more often unfurnished. Wondered what the general consensus is with Aus?

Thanks.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Furnished Rental in Aus

they are very few and far between.

We were looking at renting out our house fully furnished and the agent told us not to as it causes far too much hassle if anything is damaged or needs replacing (for the landlord).

I don't think I have ever seen a standard rental with furniture- private individuals doing short term lets or serviced apartments only seem to be the options.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 11:26 am
ABCDiamond

99 Unfurnished to 1 Furnished, or maybe 200 to 1.... something like that.

Old Jun 24th 2010, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

stuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura about

Blimey! That far in favour of unfurnished?! Ok I guess I better find out more about the Aus definition of unfurnished. In London unfurnished properties still include fridge freezer, washing machine/washer dryer, dishwasher and cooker and hob. Is Aus the same?
Old Jun 24th 2010, 12:05 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by stuartsummers1980
Blimey! That far in favour of unfurnished?! Ok I guess I better find out more about the Aus definition of unfurnished. In London unfurnished properties still include fridge freezer, washing machine/washer dryer, dishwasher and cooker and hob. Is Aus the same?
Cooker and hob yes.

The rest not normally. Sometimes a dishwasher.

The problem in Australia is that the landlord has to repair everything,.Therefore the less that is included, the less that may need repairing.

Old Jun 24th 2010, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Cooker and hob yes.

The rest not normally. Sometimes a dishwasher.

The problem in Australia is that the landlord has to repair everything,.Therefore the less that is included, the less that may need repairing.
Must just be lazier Landlords in Aus then, as Landlords in the UK have statutory repairing obligations. Even if you leave a TV and it breaks down you're technically required as a Landlord to fix it or provide a new one and all this hasn't had an impact on there being a decent amount of furnished properties.

If I was moving to Aus sooner I think this thread would go off an a tangent of charity furniture shops and 2nd hand white goods shops lol!
Old Jun 24th 2010, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

BritishIGuess is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

from experience or knowledge, what's the balance between furnished and unfurnished 6-12 month rentals in Aus (my interest being acquiring furnished rentals). In case each city is different I guess this question is more aimed at Melbourne, but happy to hear about general knowledge around Aus. Living in London its about a 50-50 mix of rentals being available furnished or unfurnished, but I know around other parts of the UK rentals are a bit more often unfurnished. Wondered what the general consensus is with Aus?

Thanks.
You will have no problems finding furnished apartments in Melbourne - May I suggest Punt Hill Apartments in the CBD - Flinders lane walking distance from public transport hubs - as a place to start, less than $1600 per month and fully furnished, - serviced apartment. There are many such places available not just in the CBD or inner suburbs but scattered throughout - even Dandenong has serviced apartments - and the difference in rent have found to be between 10 - 20 %

I'm not an estate agent by the way, we moved last year and spent a few months in a serviced apartment while looking for somewhere nice - they are quite small though, but tend to have good amenities - swimming pools, gym......

Quick tip - Australia has the worst real estate agents I have come across in my travels - I have lived in over 20 countries so have quite a bit of experience with them - I would avoid using them if at all possible - one of the up sides to serviced apartments IMHO you don't have to deal with them everything is in house, and it is possible and easier and cheaper to rent here without getting a real estate agent involved, less headaches if you are looking for short term.

Last edited by BritishIGuess; Jun 24th 2010 at 1:44 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 10:13 pm
ABCDiamond

Must just be lazier Landlords in Aus then, as Landlords in the UK have statutory repairing obligations. Even if you leave a TV and it breaks down you're technically required as a Landlord to fix it or provide a new one and all this hasn't had an impact on there being a decent amount of furnished properties.
It is exactly the same here, but most people are happier paying lower rent, and supplying their own goods, than paying the higher rents for furnished. Hence, not much demand for the furnished places.

Australian landlord is responsible for:
  • Council Tax
  • Water Access Charges
  • Sewerage Charges
  • All repairs and general maintenance to everything in the property.
  • Building Insurance
  • Batteries in Smoke Alarms

Old Jun 24th 2010, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

As others have mentioned, the easiest is to get a serviced appartment (not always such a bad deal when you add up the costs). The rent in serviced appartments includes all utilities connections and bills - not sure about phone and internet though - as well as furniture, appliances and repairs. Once you add up the costs associated with unfurnished accommodation (deposit, connection fees to gas, water and power, daily use of same, moving furniture in and out, etc.), it doesn't always work out cheaper on a short-term basis.

Another option is to hire furniture and appliances. We used these guys in Melbourne seven years ago (prices will have probably changed drastically) and it cost us about $90/week for a 2-bedroom flat - incl. all appliances. They had well-priced packages according to the size of the flat/house. They do the moving in and out for you.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone. Hadn't thought about serviced accommodation or furniture rental for that matter, probably because in London its astronomical, but sounds like it might be a bit more cost-effective out in Aus.