Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

From The Frying Pan To The Fire?

From The Frying Pan To The Fire?

Old Jun 10th 2010, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: From The Frying Pan To The Fire?

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
You would have to take each case on it's own.
70% of ozzies own or are buying their own homes. (Infofrom SIH) so it can't be that bad owning your own home can it?
Each to their own I suppose.
It's true, there are positives and negatives to either position. Too often people fail to recognise that.

On the subject of the 70%, even if they had bought in conditions similar to those prevailing currently, I would never favour blindly following the herd. In fact it's often beneficial to go against the status quo. In the investment world that can be the difference between 'value' investing and 'greater fool' speculation.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 12:19 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Steve2009
Of course renting has it's downside such as security of tenure and the possibility of dealing with an unreasonable landlord or agent. These are risks that are present with home ownership also.
This bit has me puzzled this morning.

Old Jun 10th 2010, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
This bit has me puzzled this morning.
The parallels with owning? The government could compulsorily purchase your house for a nuclear waste facility tomorrow morning and there would be very little you could do about it. The king of the bogans and his six bogan wives could move in next door to you tomorrow and fill the air with the sound of a thousand V8s from morning to night. Your house purchase could go wrong and you could be ripped off by any number of people. On the other hand with renting there is also the trade-off that you are footloose. If the king of the bogans moves in next door then you can move.