Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

From The Frying Pan To The Fire?

From The Frying Pan To The Fire?

Old Jun 9th 2010, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From The Frying Pan To The Fire?

Originally Posted by eddie007
personally I'm WAY TOO untidy to be able to live in a rental... and I like knocking holes in walls... and decorating to my own taste.. and changing my own lightbulbs...
Don't you have to get a qualified, licensed electrical contractor to do that?
Old Jun 9th 2010, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Don't you have to get a qualified, licensed electrical contractor to do that?
I think thats an American thing.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 9:59 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't try you'll never know.
I wouldn't say you've gone through the hardest part but you're more than half way so why turn back now?

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Thats true. My local paper reported large numbers of dogs and cats being dumped because their not permitted in rentals.
I never understand people who can do that. I have my cat and would never do that, any time I’ve rented and she wasn’t allowed I just hid her when there was an inspection, they never knew and I got all my bond back.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadaeh
I never understand people who can do that. I have my cat and would never do that, any time I’ve rented and she wasn’t allowed I just hid her when there was an inspection, they never knew and I got all my bond back.
In a lot of ways, honesty never pays. Keep your pets. What people dont know wont hurt 'em.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of

I'm Australian and that's one thing I don't like about Australia - all those weird rules when renting like 'no cats or dogs'. It reflects IMO the Aussie bias towards buying a house and not living in flats (and look where that got us! ) Anyway when I lived in Sydney I had a cat and used to hide her when they did inspections or take her to my mum's place for the day.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by gelato
I'm Australian and that's one thing I don't like about Australia - all those weird rules when renting like 'no cats or dogs'. It reflects IMO the Aussie bias towards buying a house and not living in flats (and look where that got us! ) Anyway when I lived in Sydney I had a cat and used to hide her when they did inspections or take her to my mum's place for the day.
Youre not alone there.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 11:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2009
The same could be said for any source of advice.
Sure, but making major financial/life changing decisions based on opinions that you read on an internet forum is nuts. Anyone who does is a f**kwit and deserves to be ripped off/lose money.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Sure, but making major financial/life changing decisions based on opinions that you read on an internet forum is nuts. Anyone who does is a f**kwit and deserves to be ripped off/lose money.
I think there are worse sources of information, such as the media and professional 'advisors' (i.e. sales persons). Casting a wide net for information anecdotal or factual can't hurt the decision making process. I saved my financial health from Irish bubble by keeping my eyes and ears well and truly open.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 11:19 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I knew I should have listened to that little man on my shoulder instead
Old Jun 9th 2010, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Why are migration and buying a house intrinsically linked in peoples minds? It makes absolutely no sense to me. Renting is about half the price of buying in Australia at the moment if not cheaper. Do yourself a favour and leave the property bubble madness to the rich and the reckless.
How true,especially in such uncertain times.Do nothing in haste and get to know your new ground as throughly as possible.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Got a lot stricter over recent years. Guess it doesn't do the local housing market any harm. People bail out of rentals for such reasons into what they perceive as the freedom of owing ones own pile.
Okay in times past perhaps ...but in such an inflated market as recent times??
Old Jun 9th 2010, 11:54 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are worse sources of information, such as the media and professional 'advisors' (i.e. sales persons). Casting a wide net for information anecdotal or factual can't hurt the decision making process. I saved my financial health from Irish bubble by keeping my eyes and ears well and truly open.
Would you make financial decisions based on what posters say on BE?

I wouldn't.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 11:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
I knew I should have listened to that little man on my shoulder instead
His opinion is more relevant than those on BE!
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Luckily it doesn’t seem to be an issue in the ACT. When I moved here from Sydney, every rental add said “Pets allowed”.

The apartment complex I live in now allows pets, it’s great, I don’t have to hide the cat anymore. All the neighbours have cats and little dogs. Never seen it an issue anywhere else in the world, just in Australia... just happy the people in the ACT live in the real world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.