Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Frustrated: container delayed again

Frustrated: container delayed again

Old Oct 5th 2010, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

sean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nice
Default Frustrated: container delayed again

We are really hacked off, container delayed again,
left our house on the 29th July now due in freo on the 26th Oct
thats 89 days and thats before we even get through customs, up to 21 days we have been told, just want our stuff, especially when we were quoted a 33 day sailing time then customs clearance after that ( 8-10 ) weeks
Anyone have any joy getting compensation from their removal company as i havent had any joy :curse:
Old Oct 5th 2010, 2:25 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frustrated: container delayed again

Originally Posted by sean bassett
thats 89 days and thats before we even get through customs, up to 21 days we have been told, just want our stuff, especially when we were quoted a 33 day sailing time then customs clearance after that ( 8-10 ) weeks
Anyone have any joy getting compensation from their removal company as i havent had any joy :curse:
Why blame the removalist , they rely on the shippers to give them a time line, so it is out of there hands once it is on the boat............MM
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

That does seem longer than normal but not extraordinary. I am sure the removalist will have some clause saying they cannot be held responsible for shipping delays, never heard of anyone getting compensation anyway. Perhaps it won't take 21 days to clear customs, I think that is worst case scenario, ours was just under two weeks.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 10:09 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Ours took 12 weeks. It was a shared container though.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 2:57 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

thats before we even get through customs, up to 21 days we have been told
fwiw, you may be pleasantly surprised by customs clearance. Our stuff was on the street within 36 hours of the ship touching the dock. IIRC, Port Botany charges the companies a fee for every day the container is on the dockside so there's a huge incentive to get it cleared and delivered instead of hanging on to it - presumably Freo is the same.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
fwiw, you may be pleasantly surprised by customs clearance. Our stuff was on the street within 36 hours of the ship touching the dock. IIRC, Port Botany charges the companies a fee for every day the container is on the dockside so there's a huge incentive to get it cleared and delivered instead of hanging on to it - presumably Freo is the same.
Yeah we got our stuff within a few days of it arriving in Sydney. Although it had all been opened and a box of shoes was missing!! Got 500 quid back from the removals to cover it.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

They told us ours would be 12 weeks, it took 22. When we emailed to find out what was going on they ignored us. When they finally answered our enquiries they lied to us about when the container had the left the UK and gave us the wrong container to track.

We complained to them and they ignored us. We complained to BAR and they took it up, with the inevitable "**** off you've got no rights" response after several weeks and dozens of emails.

In other words, you're doing OK right now.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Apparently our stuff is due to arrive in Fremantle on Saturday. Hubby has an assessment next week for his license & is due to start work on Wednesday & could really have done with his tools which we shipped so looks like he's going to have to go & buy a few bits to tie him over. Our stuff was collected on the 8th July & is in a shared container. I can't wait to get it all back again - my iron, ironing board, hoover (sad I know), breadmaker, kids toys & my sewing machine as I have a list of jobs to do & I am soooo looking forward to getting our bed back after 3 months of sleeping on a mattress on the floor.

So fingers crossed it does land on Saturday & doesn't take too long to clear customs

Alison x