Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

fruit smoothie sachets

fruit smoothie sachets

Old Jul 20th 2008, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all
Default fruit smoothie sachets

My son loves the pure fruit smoothie sachets you can get here in the Uk.The ones that are just pure pureed/mashed fruit and nothing else put into a lunch box squeezie sachet with a cap on the end to suck it through.
Please tell me i'll be able to find these in Oz or i'm going to have to make my own sachets and fill them !!!!!
Sunbound
Old Jul 20th 2008, 6:55 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fruit smoothie sachets

Originally Posted by Sunbound
My son loves the pure fruit smoothie sachets you can get here in the Uk.The ones that are just pure pureed/mashed fruit and nothing else put into a lunch box squeezie sachet with a cap on the end to suck it through.
Please tell me i'll be able to find these in Oz or i'm going to have to make my own sachets and fill them !!!!!
Sunbound
You can get real fruit here, it comes with peel and skin..........mm
Old Jul 20th 2008, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all

Yes ...thanks for that !!
My son eats masses of the peelable and skinned variety as it is ......these things are extra !!!!
Old Jul 20th 2008, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

you can get rollups here and other fruit stuff... not seen what you are talking about though
Old Jul 20th 2008, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

what are rollups then?
Old Jul 21st 2008, 12:26 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunbound
Sunbound
I've seen a product called "Heinz Splat" on TV which is the kind of thing you describe with apple/orange. It is just pureed/mashed fruit plus an awful lot of sugar. Making your own (without sugar) might be better.

Gina
Old Jul 21st 2008, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can get them in Woolworths, in the healthy kids snack section.
They are called Fruit smash and come in a few different flavours !

Nicky
Old Jul 21st 2008, 4:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Yes you can get them in Woolworths, in the healthy kids snack section.
They are called Fruit smash and come in a few different flavours !

Nicky
I've bought a couple of those for my elder daughter to try, she said yuck, and so did I... Why anyone like that stuff is beyond me... Luckily she's now learnt to like a few different types of fruit.

Mrs JTL
Old Jul 21st 2008, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
I've seen a product called "Heinz Splat" on TV which is the kind of thing you describe with apple/orange. It is just pureed/mashed fruit plus an awful lot of sugar. Making your own (without sugar) might be better.

Gina
I don't think there's added sugar in Heinz Splat but it tastes nothing like real fruit at all.

Mrs JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Jul 21st 2008 at 4:21 am.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 4:33 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I watched a tv show about fruit smoothies and the amount of sugar in them. It was natural sugar but sugar is sugar isn't it. In some fruit smoothies there is twice as much sugar as a can of coke.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 4:58 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I don't think there's added sugar in Heinz Splat but it tastes nothing like real fruit at all.
No added sugar but still 16g of sugar in every 100g of "Spalt" (i.e. 16%) plus 10mg of sodium. I don't have kids, but if I did, I wouldn't feed them this.

Read here: http://www.foodforkids.com.au/review...Orange-Flavour

Gina
Old Jul 21st 2008, 5:19 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
No added sugar but still 16g of sugar in every 100g of "Spalt" (i.e. 16%) plus 10mg of sodium. I don't have kids, but if I did, I wouldn't feed them this.

Read here: http://www.foodforkids.com.au/review...Orange-Flavour
So really, not any different to eating an apple in terms of sugar!

10mg of Sodium is completely negligible.

If this kind of presentation is the only way to get kids to eat fruit then it's fine. However if the child is eating a lot of other fruit AND these kinds of things I'd be investing in a good dental plan! Especially in Qld where flouride is feared nearly as much as daylight savings!
Old Jul 21st 2008, 5:54 am
Banned

Originally Posted by bcworld
So really, not any different to eating an apple in terms of sugar!
Well, a real apple doesn't have quite as much sugar (only about 10%). And with a real apple, you get a few more vitamins thrown in (lost in the "smoothie/splat" variety).

But, yes, having one of these smoothies is better than chocolate, biscuits, chips etc.

Here is some apple info for anyone interested:

"About 10% of an apple is made up of carbohydrate. Apples contain dietary fibre in their skins and core. About 4% of an apple is made up of vitamins and minerals. The rest of the apple, more than 80%, is made up of water. A medium-sized eating apple contains about 40 calories ­ one kilo of fresh apples provides approximately 2100kJ (500 kcal) of energy. Excluding the peel and core of apples from the diet almost halves the amounts of Vitamin C and dietary fibre available in the whole fruit, but makes very little difference to the sugar content."
Old Jul 21st 2008, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by northernbird
I watched a tv show about fruit smoothies and the amount of sugar in them. It was natural sugar but sugar is sugar isn't it. In some fruit smoothies there is twice as much sugar as a can of coke.
That's why health professionals don't encourage kids to drink too much fruit juice, even if the juice is diluated and no sugar is added. Eating whole fruit is a completely different story - you need to bite and chew, and lots of saliva is produced in the process to neutralize the acidity from the sugars of the fruit. Drinking a glass of apple juice or eating a tin of puree apple hardly requires any work.

Mrs JTL
Old Jul 21st 2008, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

You can never win whatever you do but at least he's getting lots of vitamins and i feel the natural sugar in the fruit he's eating is counter balanced by the fact he only drinks water and milk and he doesn't eat rubbish such as sweets ,crisps, chocolate etc
He has a good healthy balanced diet with plenty of veg,meat ,fish,dairy and fruit so if his enjoyment comes from a fruit squeezie that has no added sugar ..then i'm happy to let him have it.
Thanks for the help guys will have a good shop around when i get there !!!