Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fruit comparison

Fruit comparison

Old May 19th 2006, 12:10 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fruit comparison

Originally Posted by Toppa
Bit like a kid's game don't you think?
Interesting observation. Know any other good games? I know I can think of a couple ...
Old May 19th 2006, 12:11 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
I think your missing the point too, at $10 per K they are now off the supermarket shelves here and so all the previous arguments about supporting the farmers is plainly ridiculous. It’s more than just bananas anyway, replace the word banana with almost any other commodity here and the same applies. For the moment I am still living in Oz so still have opinions on this subject and others, after all if I didn’t post about stuff like this what on earth could the likes of vash, you and others have to whinge about?
Remind me again who's whinging?
Old May 19th 2006, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Toppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of light

I think your missing the point too, at $10 per K they are now off the supermarket shelves here and so all the previous arguments about supporting the farmers is plainly ridiculous.
Yep only seen a few handfuls of green ones at woolies today at $10.95 a kg. Nowhere near the usual amount you'd expect them to have. Have heard growers getting $100 a box whereas before they got $15 a box. Clearly $15 a box isn't enough but $100 a box is way too much. Should be like $30-$40 a box for growers ($3-$4 a kilo for customer)
Old May 19th 2006, 12:17 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
No, it's about comparing 'like with like.'

Or should we start to list some of Oz's less savoury aspects? We never had our car vandalised or house broken into until we got to Oz.

Or, more importantly: the fact that the rape % is far higher in Oz than UK, or how about the two 14 year-old girls that recently stabbed a taxi-driver to death, or...

.........or that in the UK a 15 year old boy was stabbed outside school

All countries have their fair share of violence.
Old May 19th 2006, 12:29 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Most large supermarkets and department stores reserve the right to check your bags (at their discretion) when you leave. The purpose of this precaution is to reduce the risk of shoplifting - a crime which was costing Australian businesses $810 million per year during 2001 (source) and is no doubt costing even more today.

Shoplifting is a particularly irritating crime because its effects are immediately passed on to the consumer, as businesses are forced to raise their prices in order to recoup their losses.

In the UK, they use CCTV - to such an extent that British people are now the most CCTV-surveyed people in the entire world. There are 500,000 CCTV cameras in London alone (source.)

In Australia, they use bag searches (which are enforced at the shop's discretion) and store detectives.

In both countries, they scan your body and hand luggage before you board a plane.

IMHO it's six of one, half a dozen of the other - and it honestly doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Yeah right, your the only one that could possibly think all these examples are comparable. I for one detest with a passion the idea of doing my weekly shop, spending all that money and being considered guilty by default and I then need to prove my innocence by letting some halfwit rummage through my bag. Like they could even spot a stolen lipstick anyway.

To make matters for me far worse try shopping with a sleeping baby in a pram and trying not to disturb the little'un when they insist you open all the nappy bags, used or not. (I kid you not!)

As for CCTV I for one think its a great idea to keep all us law abiding people safe!
Old May 19th 2006, 12:32 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Yea, but he's doing a *really* good job when professional trolls like Stanton bless us with an appearance ...
So how come anyone with a contrary point is a troll? Doesn't that by definition make you one too? After all your disagreeing with him.
Old May 19th 2006, 12:34 pm
Australia's Doorman

As for CCTV I for one think its a great idea to keep all us law abiding people safe!
Your every movement tracked constantly by Big Brother, or a minute's minor inconvenience in a shop - I can see why you feel that way.
Old May 19th 2006, 12:35 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sat here pissin mesen.......

Sane, sensible, intelligent grown up men wanting to kill each other cos of the cost of banana's, cost of grapes and the fact Aussie shops like to check yer bleedin bags

Mebbe you have to be pished to see the funny side eh
Old May 19th 2006, 12:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
I'm sat here pissin mesen.......

Sane, sensible, intelligent grown up men wanting to kill each other cos of the cost of banana's, cost of grapes and the fact Aussie shops like to check yer bleedin bags

Mebbe you have to be pished to see the funny side eh
No, I'm quite sober and I'm LMAO as well.
Old May 19th 2006, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah right, your the only one that could possibly think all these examples are comparable. I for one detest with a passion the idea of doing my weekly shop, spending all that money and being considered guilty by default and I then need to prove my innocence by letting some halfwit rummage through my bag. Like they could even spot a stolen lipstick anyway.

To make matters for me far worse try shopping with a sleeping baby in a pram and trying not to disturb the little'un when they insist you open all the nappy bags, used or not. (I kid you not!)

Just wandering what the implications are of refusing to let them search your
bags. Over here they would have to have reasonable grounds for thinking
you had stolen something. Even then if you refused to let them look in your
bag they would have to detain you until the police arrived.
Old May 19th 2006, 12:38 pm
Australia's Doorman

So how come anyone with a contrary point is a troll?
Definitely not. I've never called you a troll, for instance. I've disagreed with you, on pretty much everything, but you're not a troll. Stanton's sole purpose on these forums is to stir up trouble - he had that reputation long before I even registered here ...
Old May 19th 2006, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by WendyC
No, I'm quite sober and I'm LMAO as well.
So....mebbe we should start eh Wndy?....what about the cost of lettuce eh?

I reckon it's more expensive in UK but cheaper in Kos........ cos in Kos they make em. And here they are the equivelent of $1 but in UK they are fifty squid

Any rate.....just take it from me I'm right.

I've got loads of statistics from Google...and when I'm not pished I'm gonna past em all on here .........so you can choke on yer bleedin lettuce

[how was that for starters Wend? ]
Old May 19th 2006, 12:46 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Toppa
Yep only seen a few handfuls of green ones at woolies today at $10.95 a kg. Nowhere near the usual amount you'd expect them to have. Have heard growers getting $100 a box whereas before they got $15 a box. Clearly $15 a box isn't enough but $100 a box is way too much. Should be like $30-$40 a box for growers ($3-$4 a kilo for customer)
The touble is they won't shift many boxes at all as now they have priced themselves out of the market. My local supermarkets are not even stocking Bananas at the moment and here I thought it was the 21st century.
Old May 19th 2006, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Just wandering what the implications are of refusing to let them search your
bags. Over here they would have to have reasonable grounds for thinking
you had stolen something. Even then if you refused to let them look in your
bag they would have to detain you until the police arrived.
If you refuse to let the Aussie shop assistants see inside your bags, the assistants make you stand at the counter with a placcy bag over yer head, as a show of protest on their part, until you give in

With the bleedin heat and humidity in Brisbane, it aint no fun I can tell ya

Last time when I finally submitted and took the bag off me head, it was so hot and my hair so frizzy, I looked like Afro man

Morale of the story: When in Aus...do as the Aussies do....and show em yer bleedin bag FFS
Old May 19th 2006, 12:47 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Most who live here can see a dollar is the equivalent to the pound in most instances so in relative terms this example wouldn't add up
At a dollar to the pound, the tax system looks fantastic here...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.