Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fruit comparison

Fruit comparison

Old May 18th 2006, 6:06 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fruit comparison

Originally Posted by Sandra
I know you had no intention...but on the other side of the fence this had me wetting myself laughing. Yadda Yadda.....Aus is wonderful..snot!

I can have it as wallpaper and still giggle ...yes please!
Just for you ...
Attached Thumbnails Fruit comparison-bon_voyage_arkon.jpg  
Old May 18th 2006, 7:51 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I am sooo envious - the crisps thing really gets to me; I devour crisps the way that some women devour chocolate and I just can't get excited about the crisps here - give me good old UK choice, please!
Short changing, bag checking, amount of stock on the shelves, all the same gripes......wish I could persuade the Bloke that you have the right idea about moving

Ive heard about short changing.

They just deliberately short change you?

And what is this about bag checking?
Old May 18th 2006, 8:18 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Oh and I never once got short changed or had my bags checked! Civilisation? Yes please…

you obviously never visited our area then!!!! short changed is a requisit of most of our shops in the town!!!!! (or seems to be)

and bags checked?? so ok you got me on that one, but stop and search on the street we see fairly frequently (no not us!! )
Old May 18th 2006, 8:40 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Fruit comparison

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
And what is this about bag checking?
Most large supermarkets and department stores reserve the right to check your bags (at their discretion) when you leave. The purpose of this precaution is to reduce the risk of shoplifting - a crime which was costing Australian businesses $810 million per year during 2001 (source) and is no doubt costing even more today.

Shoplifting is a particularly irritating crime because its effects are immediately passed on to the consumer, as businesses are forced to raise their prices in order to recoup their losses.

In the UK, they use CCTV - to such an extent that British people are now the most CCTV-surveyed people in the entire world. There are 500,000 CCTV cameras in London alone (source.)

In Australia, they use bag searches (which are enforced at the shop's discretion) and store detectives.

In both countries, they scan your body and hand luggage before you board a plane.

IMHO it's six of one, half a dozen of the other - and it honestly doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Old May 18th 2006, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Toppa
An informative and valuable post arkon.

Thanx mate
Nice to see you back
Old May 18th 2006, 9:14 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Fruit comparison

BTW, I can trump "I never got short changed until I came to Australia" with the fact that I never got happy-slapped until I came to the UK.

Nor had I ever read about happy slapping incidents in the national news - for the simple reason that it didn't exist in Australia (and AFAIK, still doesn't.)

Nor did I read about a gang of youths kicking a man to death and filming it on their mobile phones, or a gang of boys raping an 11 year-old girl and filming it on their mobile phones, or a girl being shot in the leg with an air rifle, a girl beaten unconscious, or a man being set alight in a bus shelter and nearly dying from his burns - all of which were also filmed on mobile phones by the little bastards who committed these attacks.

Short-changing versus fatal and near-fatal attacks by twisted adolescent monsters who film their actions...

Hmmm. I guess it's all about perspective.
Old May 18th 2006, 9:19 pm
We're here in Brissie

Fionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I am sooo envious - the crisps thing really gets to me; I devour crisps the way that some women devour chocolate and I just can't get excited about the crisps here - give me good old UK choice, please!
Short changing, bag checking, amount of stock on the shelves, all the same gripes......wish I could persuade the Bloke that you have the right idea about moving
I am a crispaholic myself. addicted to them even. I'm hoping when we move that i will be cured - after i get over my withdrawl symptoms that is!!

When we were there on a recie I substituted them with huge bags of cherries
Old May 18th 2006, 9:28 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
BTW, I can trump "I never got short changed until I came to Australia" with the fact that I never got happy-slapped until I came to the UK.

Nor had I ever read about happy slapping incidents in the national news - for the simple reason that it didn't exist in Australia (and AFAIK, still doesn't.)

Nor did I read about a gang of youths kicking a man to death and filming it on their mobile phones, or a gang of boys raping an 11 year-old girl and filming it on their mobile phones, or a girl being shot in the leg with an air rifle, a girl beaten unconscious, or a man being set alight in a bus shelter and nearly dying from his burns - all of which were also filmed on mobile phones by the little bastards who committed these attacks.

Short-changing versus fatal and near-fatal attacks by twisted adolescent monsters who film their actions...

Hmmm. I guess it's all about perspective.
Tsk tsk Vash surely you don't mean these things are worse than being charged $10 for a kilo of nanas

Loz x
Old May 18th 2006, 9:33 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fionast
I am a crispaholic myself. addicted to them even. I'm hoping when we move that i will be cured - after i get over my withdrawl symptoms that is!!

When we were there on a recie I substituted them with huge bags of cherries

i'm hoping to be cured of watching tv!!!!

i put tv on even if i'm upstairs!!!! (not a prob when we get to oz )
Old May 18th 2006, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Well as I’m just freshly back from the real Gods country I thought I’d post a quick comment about the price of Bananas and Grapes in the respective countries while it was still fresh in my head. Firstly Banana’s 64p a kilo in Tesco and the locals tell me $10 per Kilo now so I went to wollies to check and guess what? They have no Banana’s! A quick ask around revealed that noone was paying the $10 per kilo so they pulled them from the shelves!! I’m all for helping the farmers seeing as I am now one but as farmers still get the same per kilo as pre cyclone I am left wondering how this petty minded place thinks charging $10 is going to help anyone.

Grapes currently $6 per kilo compared to the quid back home! Now they grow shed loads of them here so what’s the excuse for this one?

Never mind as it will all be academic for me soon I hope but bearing in mind I did a Tesco shop on day one in the UK of my holiday I was struck by a few things. Firstly the food in the UK is much much cheaper, The fruit and veg is of a better look and quality, the choice was 4 to 6 times better in the number of lines stocked for the rough same amount of space and achieved by constant shelf stock take and restocking. Every type of food and item had just so much more choice, Baby food was just so much better as was the choice of crisps. I could go on but will leave it there.

Oh and I never once got short changed or had my bags checked! Civilisation? Yes please…
Welcome back Arkon - wondered where you had been!

Just to add a note - I can get good quality grapes in the Braeside area of Melbourne for just over $2 per kilo. I agree bananas are beyond my budget now - I substitute with yummy pears. I'm not worried about crisps as I try to avoid them. I haven't found a problem with quality - although you have to be picky in the cheaper fruit/veg markets. I find in my area I can buy plenty of good quality food at 'overall' 15% cheaper than the UK (I do shop around) - and maybe I'm not so fussy about certain brands.
I've never been short-changed and I've never had by bag checked - obviously look far too innocent
Old May 18th 2006, 11:45 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Yep bloody great, the holiday that is, not to be back tho! The weather was mostly lousy, the traffic congested, and the media trying to sack the government so nothing new. Oh and 2 jags is now called 2 shags, All I can say is she must have left the blind dog at home.

Blistering holiday unfortunately the choice and quality of cereals and take aways meant I gained a stone in weight! Hmmm Kelogs chocolate crunchie nut clusters…………

Sounds like the only reason you miss england is the food!!???

Have you tried shopping elsewhere for your groceries instead of what is like Sainsburies in the uk and actually shopped around locally, or as others have said buy another fruit ?

The poster before me obviously has

When are you off back to the uk then?

Hope you are happy when you get there.

alk

Last edited by alkristensen; May 18th 2006 at 11:49 pm.
Old May 19th 2006, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Sounds like the only reason you miss england is the food!!???

Have you tried shopping elsewhere for your groceries instead of what is like Sainsburies in the uk and actually shopped around locally, or as others have said buy another fruit ?

The poster before me obviously has

When are you off back to the uk then?

Hope you are happy when you get there.

alk
Hi,

We shop at a variety of stores - even though there are not as many to choose from here in Canberra.

I think Perth have more choice from what I have been reading.

I buy fruit from the markets, and fish and seafood too. I also shop at the new Aldi just opened and also at Coles and Woolies. Woolies is the most expensive - but I avoid it if possible. I generally buy in bulk and have two chest freezers and a small freezer also - so generally - shopping is similar. I would come down on the side of Arkon - as I am a keen food shopper myself and love the choice - but would it be enough for me to go back to the UK??? Not on your Nellie!
Old May 19th 2006, 3:15 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, that's it, you've convinced me to remain in the UK for ever and ever, amen.
You really going to?

Heck, I might even do it just to annoy you, since I am now a British citizen.
Congratulations!!! Now you can flit back and forth like a butterfly....
Old May 19th 2006, 3:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

we didn’t have to have the fancy cars and fancy house and no one actually made us work our nuts off, it was all self inflicted and Oz just replaced a set of unreal problems with some very big real ones instead.
I like your analysis of your situation!

I'll be interested to see where you wind up in the UK mate because if you can achieve a hobby farm/semi-rural living on acreage situation like you have now in the UK for little stress I would be interested to hear the story. Keep us posted.

Cheers

B
Old May 19th 2006, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Most large supermarkets and department stores reserve the right to check your bags (at their discretion) when you leave. The purpose of this precaution is to reduce the risk of shoplifting - a crime which was costing Australian businesses $810 million per year during 2001 (source) and is no doubt costing even more today.

Shoplifting is a particularly irritating crime because its effects are immediately passed on to the consumer, as businesses are forced to raise their prices in order to recoup their losses.

In the UK, they use CCTV - to such an extent that British people are now the most CCTV-surveyed people in the entire world. There are 500,000 CCTV cameras in London alone (source.)

In Australia, they use bag searches (which are enforced at the shop's discretion) and store detectives.

In both countries, they scan your body and hand luggage before you board a plane.

IMHO it's six of one, half a dozen of the other - and it honestly doesn't bother me in the slightest.
I agree with Vash on this one. Arkon, I find that you take a lot of your little quibbles about Australia to heart, and they all stack up to provide you with a
constant misery.

You have had a hard time of it though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.