Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Frequent Flyer - Qantas or BA?

Frequent Flyer - Qantas or BA?

Old Nov 5th 2013, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Debsnumpty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Frequent Flyer - Qantas or BA?

We are a family of four moving out to Melbourne at the end of December. We're flying with Qantus Premium Economy - two return flights and four one way London to Melbourne already booked. Hubby is currently Bronze member with BA Airmiles but we're wondering if it would be better to transfer his miles to Qantus as we'll be living in Oz. Any thoughts?
Many thanks
Old Nov 5th 2013, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frequent Flyer - Qantus or BA?

Originally Posted by Debsnumpty
We are a family of four moving out to Melbourne at the end of December. We're flying with Qantus Premium Economy - two return flights and four one way London to Melbourne already booked. Hubby is currently Bronze member with BA Airmiles but we're wondering if it would be better to transfer his miles to Qantus as we'll be living in Oz. Any thoughts?
Many thanks
Sorry I can't advise on options but just a comment that Qantas is now in an alliance with Emirates. I'm not sure if you can transfer BA air miles to Qantas and/or Emirates? Others will come along with advice.

Flyer Talk forum is the best place to get information and questions answered on all the major airlines:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airline-programs-374/

Pick BA, Qantas or Emirates:

eg BA http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...tive-club-446/

See sticky thread at top

Qantas Frequent Flyer http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...ent-flyer-498/

Emirates Skywards http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/

Good luck with everything!
Old Nov 5th 2013, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Debsnumpty is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply OzTennis. Will try flyertalk.
Debs
Old Nov 6th 2013, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you are going to be doing other flights, it doesnt matter - the points you get from one flight are not really going to get you anything.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 2:31 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debsnumpty
Many thanks
You can't transfer his miles to Qantas. However you can use BA Avios for Qantas flights and domestic flights are particularly good value with Avios.

You will need to keep a UK address attached to the BA account as the BA program is closed to Australian residents...I think a hangover to their now dissolved partnership with Qantas.

If he'll be flying a lot domestically then he should sign up for QF...BA bronze is a nothing status and it will be virtually impossible to achieve higher by only flying QF domestic flights.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
You can't transfer his miles to Qantas. However you can use BA Avios for Qantas flights and domestic flights are particularly good value with Avios.

You will need to keep a UK address attached to the BA account as the BA program is closed to Australian residents...I think a hangover to their now dissolved partnership with Qantas.

If he'll be flying a lot domestically then he should sign up for QF...BA bronze is a nothing status and it will be virtually impossible to achieve higher by only flying QF domestic flights.
BA dropped the 'world's favourite airline' tag a while ago; that honour now belongs to Ryanair!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...e-airline.html
Old Nov 6th 2013, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
BA dropped the 'world's favourite airline' tag a while ago; that honour now belongs to Ryanair!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...e-airline.html
I find it quite astonishing, and a bit concerning, the amount of people who willingly fly with Ryanair.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 10:42 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
I find it quite astonishing, and a bit concerning, the amount of people who willingly fly with Ryanair.
Why's that?
Old Nov 6th 2013, 11:36 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Why's that?
because people are getting poorer and cant afford a proper flight.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 11:58 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
because people are getting poorer and cant afford a proper flight.

Nah, I was asking roaringmouse why it's concerning and astonishing, not why people are using them
Old Nov 6th 2013, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In a recent Which survey on customer satisfaction for airlines Ryanair was ranked LAST of all the companies surveyed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...gue-table.html

In another survey Ryanair was voted the WORST brand in the UK.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/city-n...ritain-2283987

The picture tells all about most arrogant businessman of the year nominee Michael O'Leary's reaction to customer complaints.

They are notorious for offering seemingly extremely cheap flights and then slugging you for everything from baggage, using a credit card and so on. O'Leary recently was proposing to put meters on the toilet doors to charge people to use them. Their staff are not allowed to recharge their phones in the offices, they aren't allowed to steal a paper clip or envelope etc (Duncan Bannatyne is cut from the same cloth).

Add in the fact that most of their airports are large distances from where you really want to go. One famous Scandinavian one is advertised as one city but lands you in another country.

As said though, despite this, people are forced to use them (and the much better regarded Easyjet).
Old Nov 6th 2013, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Why's that?
For the reasons that OzTennis posted... although saying that, I also find it quite astonishing, and a bit concerning, that he used the Daily Mail and the Mirror to back up his post.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 8:19 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

I flew Ryanair once and swore an oath never to use them again.

To get back on topic, if you join Qantas frequent flyer you can sign up for their QantasCash debit card - a Mastercard that you load with funds via BPay, then use for all your shopping and earn 1 FF point for every $2 you spend. No fees, and if travelling overseas you can load it with GBP, Euros, US$ etc at a locked in exchange rate before you go.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 10:32 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by OzTennis
In a recent Which survey on customer satisfaction for airlines Ryanair was ranked LAST of all the companies surveyed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...gue-table.html

In another survey Ryanair was voted the WORST brand in the UK.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/city-n...ritain-2283987

The picture tells all about most arrogant businessman of the year nominee Michael O'Leary's reaction to customer complaints.

They are notorious for offering seemingly extremely cheap flights and then slugging you for everything from baggage, using a credit card and so on. O'Leary recently was proposing to put meters on the toilet doors to charge people to use them. Their staff are not allowed to recharge their phones in the offices, they aren't allowed to steal a paper clip or envelope etc (Duncan Bannatyne is cut from the same cloth).

Add in the fact that most of their airports are large distances from where you really want to go. One famous Scandinavian one is advertised as one city but lands you in another country.

As said though, despite this, people are forced to use them (and the much better regarded Easyjet).
Ta Oz, interesting stuff and most of it I didn't know. I've only flown with them once and it was fine, although they did ask for volunteers from the front to move down the back to adjust the weight, so that the plane could take off

Back on topic too, my husband used to rack up tons of Qantas FF points due to his fly in/fly out work. They were great for domestic flights but not so good for international - it always seemed that you could redeem for one way but there were never any award flights available for the other way.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 11:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Ta Oz, interesting stuff and most of it I didn't know. I've only flown with them once and it was fine, although they did ask for volunteers from the front to move down the back to adjust the weight, so that the plane could take off

Back on topic too, my husband used to rack up tons of Qantas FF points due to his fly in/fly out work. They were great for domestic flights but not so good for international - it always seemed that you could redeem for one way but there were never any award flights available for the other way.
I do pretty well on QFF points, I use them for domestic flights, but also for upgrades on international. Also have a credit card with ANZ that stacks up points pretty fast. Only time I've used them to book international I've used their points plus pay option, which had plenty of options, but maybe I was just lucky!

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 7th 2013 at 7:44 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.