Freelancing on a Working Holiday Visa

Freelancing on a Working Holiday Visa

Old Aug 24th 2015, 3:24 pm
JDT
Just Joined

JDT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Freelancing on a Working Holiday Visa

Hey everyone.

I have a question about moving to Australia as a freelancer on a working holiday visa.

I'm a freelance copywriter in the UK and I'm location independent. I have several clients from all over the world (including the UK but not AUS).

What do I need to continue working freelance with my existing clients over in Australia as a sole trader?

Am I correct in thinking that I'll need a Tax File Number and an Australian Business Number to do this?

Can I continue working as a sole trader?

Also, who would I pay tax to? The UK or AUS?

Has anyone on this forum been in this situation?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Jamie.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 12:47 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freelancing on a Working Holiday Visa

Originally Posted by JDT
Hey everyone.

I have a question about moving to Australia as a freelancer on a working holiday visa.

I'm a freelance copywriter in the UK and I'm location independent. I have several clients from all over the world (including the UK but not AUS).

What do I need to continue working freelance with my existing clients over in Australia as a sole trader?

Am I correct in thinking that I'll need a Tax File Number and an Australian Business Number to do this?

Can I continue working as a sole trader?

Also, who would I pay tax to? The UK or AUS?

Has anyone on this forum been in this situation?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Jamie.
Hi Jamie. Although I don't know a lot about Oz visas, maybe you just need a 12 month visitor visa (subclass 600) instead of a 417?

From my limited understanding, a 600 would allow you to continue your current tax arrangements for your online work.

Hopefully others with more knowledge will be along to assist you.

Edit: of course, if you're planning to also look for 'normal' work here in Australia, then you'd need a work visa. Are you under 31 years old?

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Aug 25th 2015 at 12:50 am.