Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Free Extra Baggage

Free Extra Baggage

Old Jun 23rd 2010, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

JetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really nice
Default Free Extra Baggage

Hi,

Im not sure if this is the right place to put this. My apologies if not.
I dont know if people don't know this, but if you are going to live in another country to live for a period of time some airlines give you free extra baggage allowance. This is only on the actual trip that would make it so you live there.

Singapore Airlines offer:
  • People moving over permanently you get double the baggage allowance.
  • People on a student visa get an extra 10KG

All you do is e-mail in copies of your official documentation, if your going to university a letter of enrolment. Also bring these with you at checkin.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free Extra Baggage

I will not see being allowed free luggage as a privilage! Isn't that what I paid for when I bought the ticket?
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

JetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really nice

Well no. You get this as well as, on top of the allowance you have when you buy the ticket. So if you are going to oz, and your limit is 25kg per person on the seat you have, they will allow you 50kg per person if you are going to live there
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Oh okay. Cool!
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 7:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JetBlast
Hi,

Im not sure if this is the right place to put this. My apologies if not.
I dont know if people don't know this, but if you are going to live in another country to live for a period of time some airlines give you free extra baggage allowance. This is only on the actual trip that would make it so you live there.

Singapore Airlines offer:
  • People moving over permanently you get double the baggage allowance.
  • People on a student visa get an extra 10KG

All you do is e-mail in copies of your official documentation, if your going to university a letter of enrolment. Also bring these with you at checkin.
Hi JetBlast and welcome to BE.

I'm moving your thread over to our Australia Forum...I think it will benefit more people in that forum.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 11:05 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JetBlast
This is only on the actual trip that would make it so you live there.
Just to clarify this, the official position is generally that the allowance is only good for an UNVALIDATED visa...so if after being granted your visa you take a holiday in Aus or make a specific validation trip, you will generally not be entitled to extra baggage allowance when you make the move for real. Some people report getting away with this...but that shouldn't be counted on.

Other than that, there are loads of threads on this subject with all sorts of advice - summing it up though it seems only Singapore Airlines have a consistent policy on free extra allowance for permanent migrants.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

polly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant future

Yeah we got 40kgs each with Qantas, you just have to make sure that the travel agents tell your operator that its a 'migration flight' some apparently want a copy of your visa & passport, Qantas didn't though. I think its a great idea especially when you've to bring enough clothes to last you til the container arrives LOL
Old Jun 24th 2010, 9:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by polly_pod
Yeah we got 40kgs each with Qantas, you just have to make sure that the travel agents tell your operator that its a 'migration flight' some apparently want a copy of your visa & passport, Qantas didn't though. I think its a great idea especially when you've to bring enough clothes to last you til the container arrives LOL
Most "Migrant fares" like Qantas, which give you extra baggage, often don't work out much cheaper than paying for the extra baggage yourself, so do shop around first.

As bcworld said, the only airline that really does free extra baggage nowdays as a regular thing is Singapore.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

polly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Most "Migrant fares" like Qantas, which give you extra baggage, often don't work out much cheaper than paying for the extra baggage yourself, so do shop around first.

As bcworld said, the only airline that really does free extra baggage nowdays as a regular thing is Singapore.
we must have been lucky then as it was the cheapest flight too