Football, sorry

Old Feb 25th 2007, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

fillinghams is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Football, sorry

We are moving to Queensland, home of rugby league (doh!), and as a Wigan Athletic supporter movng to a egg dominated part of the world i will feel right at home. However how many other fellow football supporters are out there, particulaly in Townsville.

If any Latics fans are there please get in touch.

Sorry for a football related post, i know there are other more pressing matters, such as visa applications, jobs, housing, but its the little things that make life worthwhile.

Craig
Old Feb 25th 2007, 9:49 pm
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Football, sorry

Originally Posted by fillinghams
We are moving to Queensland, home of rugby league (doh!), and as a Wigan Athletic supporter movng to a egg dominated part of the world i will feel right at home. However how many other fellow football supporters are out there, particulaly in Townsville.

Sorry for a football related post, i know there are other more pressing matters, such as visa applications, jobs, housing, but its the little things that make life worthwhile.

Craig
There will be many supporters in Townsville, as they have their own league team - the Cowboys, who have been quite competitive in recent years.

They made the grand final in 2005, started well last year but went down hill in the 2nd half of the year bombing out.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

fillinghams is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for that, but the cowboys play with a ball that is of the wrong shape.
I know i am from wigan, but i, along with 20,000 others love football.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 10:32 pm
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

thanks for that, but the cowboys play with a ball that is of the wrong shape.
I know i am from wigan, but i, along with 20,000 others love football.
Football here is rugby league.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Craig
Wouldn't worry about it football (soccer) will be the dominant sport in Aus in the near future, all the Europeans moving there have increased it's popularity!

PS no need to be sorry for posting about the worlds greatest sport
Old Feb 25th 2007, 10:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Wouldn't worry about it football (soccer) will be the dominant sport in Aus in the near future, all the Europeans moving there have increased it's popularity!

PS no need to be sorry for posting about the worlds greatest sport
You're dreaming.

You obviously haven't seen the following for AFL, league and cricket here.

Soccer is a great sport for kids to get exercise, men play & watch the above mentioned sports.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MD09

You obviously haven't seen the following for AFL, league and cricket here..
Yawn! cricket double yawn have been to watch a test match would never go again!

Soccer is a great sport for kids to get exercise, men play & watch the above mentioned sports.
Football is the best sport in the world in my opinion, nothing anyone can say will change that. You're entitled to your opinion even if it is wrong, what ever next golf
Old Feb 25th 2007, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

You're dreaming.

You obviously haven't seen the following for AFL, league and cricket here.

Indeed. The reality is that soccer will still take some while to oust NRL and AFL.

There is no doubt that soccer is hugely participated - but to be brutally honest it's more of a kickabout and another option on the Saturday morning children's calendar. Soccer is very easy to organise and referee.

The only people who oversell soccer as the big thing from next week are the people who miss it.

It doesn't matter who is wrong, or how many people play a game in the world, over here, for the moment AFL and NRL are king.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 10:53 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Yawn! cricket double yawn have been to watch a test match would never go again!

Football is the best sport in the world in my opinion, nothing anyone can say will change that. You're entitled to your opinion even if it is wrong, what ever next golf
Soccer is a great game to play, I will admit. But to watch it sends me to sleep. Especially watching England who seem to always lose any game of significance.

Only team I enjoy watching is Brazil. These guys bring class & skill to the game that England could only dream of.

If you're going to be so devoted to one single sport, atleast learn to play it properly. 40 years since a world cup win is embarrassing.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 10:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
for the moment AFL and NRL are king.
Yep and I can't see that changing in our lifetime.

AFL is like a religion here, especially in Victoria.

It would be like saying rugby league will take over as the number 1 sport in England. Obviously it would just never happen.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 11:12 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I think north QLD is being touted as one of the areas which could be used when the A-League expands in the next year or 2. So there may be a football team up north shortly. I have been pleasantly surprised how well the A-league has been received in only its second year I saw figures the other day that the average attendance is almost on a par with the NRL already.

The quality still leaves a little to be desired but being a Forest fan I am used to poor football at the minute.

If the quality does improve and a few more name players arrive in the league it could well move above NRL in average attendances I believe.

Craig
Old Feb 25th 2007, 11:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
I think north QLD is being touted as one of the areas which could be used when the A-League expands in the next year or 2. So there may be a football team up north shortly. I have been pleasantly surprised how well the A-league has been received in only its second year I saw figures the other day that the average attendance is almost on a par with the NRL already.

You're forgetting the TV ratings. How many hundreds of thousands of people are at home watching any given NRL game...
Old Feb 25th 2007, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Soccer is a great game to play, I will admit. But to watch it sends me to sleep. Especially watching England who seem to always lose any game of significance.

Only team I enjoy watching is Brazil. These guys bring class & skill to the game that England could only dream of.

If you're going to be so devoted to one single sport, atleast learn to play it properly. 40 years since a world cup win is embarrassing.
Well as I don't support England isn't really my issue! Not sure if 40 years is that big a deal as my National team has never won it nor are ever likely to! (funny that people presume I'm English just because I live there )

Personally love watching Manchester United, Arsenal, Ajax, France, Brazil to name a few as they play the game the way it should be. Still think Football is on the up in Australia and will continue to do so until it's the top sport, might take a while but will get there....only seems the Americans can resisit it's charms but well won't comment
Old Feb 25th 2007, 11:47 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=Australia_bound?(funny that people presume I'm English just because I live there )[/QUOTE]

You seem very english to me.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

You seem very english to me.
How does one seem English?
Have Asian friends who people assume are not English even though they are born here and have lived here all their life! Mainly due to the way they speak, along with their skin tone.
Not sure how anyone seems English, have been accused of being Scottish by people who've met me as they thought I had a Scottish accent (once spent two weeks on holiday there but don't think it affected my speech that much lol)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.