Reload this Page >

Flying with leg in plaster? Urgent advice needed pls

Flying with leg in plaster? Urgent advice needed pls

Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

poppyjasper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flying with leg in plaster? Urgent advice needed pls

Hi all
We are due to fly Syd to Mel tomorrow (Fri) evening and my 13 yr old son broke his ankle today. The hospital have put a back slab on it, not a full cast because of the swelling, and said he would be ok to fly.
I've just rang Jetstar and they have said he needs a letter off the doctor.

What would happen if I cant get a letter of the doc tomorrow morning?
Does anyone know if they would stop him flying?
The info on their website says it has to be a split cast if its under 48hrs old, which it is. Should I just print this off and show them it at the gate (have booked in online and have no checked baggage so dont need to go to a desk)?

Am panicing a little now

Sam x
Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying with leg in plaster? Urgent advice needed pls

Originally Posted by poppyjasper
Hi all
We are due to fly Syd to Mel tomorrow (Fri) evening and my 13 yr old son broke his ankle today. The hospital have put a back slab on it, not a full cast because of the swelling, and said he would be ok to fly.

The info on their website says it has to be a split cast if its under 48hrs old, which it is. Should I just print this off and show them it at the gate (have booked in online and have no checked baggage so dont need to go to a desk)?

Am panicing a little now

Sam x
I'd definitely try to get an emergency appointment to get a letter just to be on the safe side. You'd also want to get to the airport early to try and get a decent seat for him and they should assist him on to the plane (presumably he's still struggling to get around). I imagine the swelling will be what causes them most concern in case of dvt. I had to travel with very very heavy strapping on a foot and it was a nightmare and that was just a flight to Spain. Good luck.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 12:04 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Am panicing a little now

Sam x
You should really need to check the official airline policy on this. Not everything is listed on websites in minute detail. If the airline policy states that he will need a letter from his doctor, and you cannot get the ok, he might be refused boarding to limit legal liability on the airline (if anything goes wrong), the same way that most prefer not to carry pregnent women over a certain number of weeks.
It may also be left to the aircraft captain to make a decision if there is any doubt at checkin/boarding.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

poppyjasper is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou both so much. I will try and get the letter tomorrow morning, and will worry about it then if the doc wont do it straight away.
Am now rather concerned as to whether we should take him at all.....blood clots, fat embolisms, scary stuff lol.

Thanks again
Sam x
Old Mar 27th 2009, 1:34 am
ABCDiamond

Hi all

Am panicing a little now

Sam x
Things must have changed...

In about 1999 I flew Sydney to Brisbane, with my leg in full plaster, and when I requested extra leg room, whilst on the plane, they just stuck me in First Class !!!!

I didn't complain

Old Mar 27th 2009, 5:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Things must have changed...

In about 1999 I flew Sydney to Brisbane, with my leg in full plaster, and when I requested extra leg room, whilst on the plane, they just stuck me in First Class !!!!

I didn't complain
This IS Jetstar....!!!!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 5:46 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
This IS Jetstar....!!!!
They will stick him on the wing
Old Mar 27th 2009, 5:57 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Pollyana
This IS Jetstar....!!!!
That's a point. The airline I flew with, went bust !!!

Old Mar 27th 2009, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Aussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the rough

Hi all

Am panicing a little now

Sam x
I feel for your son as I broke my ankle while on holiday in Cyprus a couple of years ago. I flew back with a back slab which they put on because they knew I was flying. There was no problem with the flight, just the indignity of being boarded through the galley door! I was loaded, in the wheelchair, onto the forklift truck thing that normally loads the trolleys. Everyone else thought it was hysterical, I just had a very red face!
I hope you manage ok on the flight and hope your son makes a quick recovery. Lou xx