Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Darwin or Cairns ?

Darwin or Cairns ?

Old Mar 26th 2009, 5:16 am
True Blue

ectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really nice
Default Darwin or Cairns ?

I'm in IT, software/web developer. Possibly thinking about starting own business if work hard to come by.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Darwin or Cairns ?

Not much work in Cairns doing anything atm, I did read it has one of the highest amount of people unemployed in Australia atm.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

Someone did say to me that there is a high amount of construction and redevelopment going on in Darwin.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:16 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ectomorph
I'm in IT, software/web developer. Possibly thinking about starting own business if work hard to come by.
Check out the Computer & Internet tab here mate.....
http://cairns.yalwa.com.au/

Impression I get is that there are no large IT firms here.
Several small firms and "one man and his van" operators.

My small office uses a one man band and he is flat out with work.

IMO there is a market.
Of course the difficulty is growing the customer base from scratch but you will know that I'm sure.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 4:25 am
True Blue

ectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really nice

Many thanks for that Bix mate. I'm only too aware that these days every man and his dog can do 'IT', it so yesterday but what you say is encouraging.

Cheers
Old Mar 27th 2009, 4:32 am
True Blue

May I ask you Bix, what services the company provides you with and for roughly what charges.

Cheers
Ectomorph

Originally Posted by Bix
Check out the Computer & Internet tab here mate.....
http://cairns.yalwa.com.au/

Impression I get is that there are no large IT firms here.
Several small firms and "one man and his van" operators.

My small office uses a one man band and he is flat out with work.

IMO there is a market.
Of course the difficulty is growing the customer base from scratch but you will know that I'm sure.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Many thanks for that Bix mate. I'm only too aware that these days every man and his dog can do 'IT', it so yesterday but what you say is encouraging.Cheers
Interested to know why you are considering Darwin/Cairns. Your background seems very similar to my own.

I've thought about Cairns a few times but consider I would need to be earning an income from another location not locally, e.g. a software revenue stream from UK/US.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 5:19 am
True Blue

Basically because in comparison to Cairns, Darwin is too expensive property wise because it is so remote the costs of doing anything increases. Cairns, although FNQLD it is still within easy reach of other major metro areas. Why these areas in the first place? Because I want to live somewhere different from what I've been used to, somewhere with 'weather', within easy reach of the outback that I love, somewhere that still feels on the edge. The difficulty being striking a balance between this and job opportunities, good schooling for my children and keeping my wife happy.

Originally Posted by ossigeno
Interested to know why you are considering Darwin/Cairns. Your background seems very similar to my own.

I've thought about Cairns a few times but consider I would need to be earning an income from another location not locally, e.g. a software revenue stream from UK/US.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

The difficulty being striking a balance between this and job opportunities, good schooling for my children and keeping my wife happy.
With regard to keeping the wife happy, why you not leverage your wife's background, e.g importing stuff. I'm doing this at present as a side project, all profits reinvested so it compounds up. Presents the occasional trip to China to meet suppliers.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 5:35 am
True Blue

Possibly, its a good suggestion. Do we know each other ?

Originally Posted by ossigeno
With regard to keeping the wife happy, why you not leverage your wife's background, e.g importing stuff. I'm doing this at present as a side project, all profits reinvested so it compounds up. Presents the occasional trip to China to meet suppliers.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 5:54 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

May I ask you Bix, what services the company provides you with and for roughly what charges.

Cheers
Ectomorph
We're a small office of 8 people with basic shared server etc.
He comes and fixes any problems we have whether it's network, software or hardware related.
Charges $110 / hour which we think is one of the cheapest in Cairns.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 5:55 am
True Blue

Thanks Bix
Old Mar 27th 2009, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Do we know each other ?
We have many similarities in background.