Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flying home at short notice, passports and banking questions

Flying home at short notice, passports and banking questions

Old Jun 27th 2013, 6:58 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying home at short notice, passports and banking questions

Just to add, and funnily enough that exact combination of flights is available for 7th July as a frequent flyer redemption. I didn't check the other date.

If you want to book it yourself for the same price as being quoted here, let me know...that outbound prices at USD2025 as a one way if you just buy the miles yourself.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 8:51 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Check in using UK passport, leave Aus using Aus passport at Immigration desk. transiting en route use UK passport, same when entering UK.
Check in UK using Aus passport, use Aus passport transiting en route back, then use Aus passport to enter here

Don't offer the other one, its not needed
NO!

You imply using the Oz passport to leave the UK (probably don't mean that.) If you try to leave the UK on an Oz passport they will obviously look for your entry stamp.

Airline check-in and immigration are completely different. if you buy the ticket on one passport you must check in (anywhere) using that passport. But when going in/out through immigration use the appropriate one: UK leaving the UK (Assuming you've entered on it), Oz one coming back to Oz.

Last edited by Wol; Jun 27th 2013 at 8:57 am.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 8:55 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
If you try to leave the UK on an Oz passport they will obviously look for your entry stamp.
Who will?
Old Jun 27th 2013, 8:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Who will?
Well they never looked at mine when I used the "wrong"one once, but if you're going to shout at me like that I'll remove the info!
Old Jun 27th 2013, 9:00 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Well they never looked at mine when I used the "wrong"one once, but if you're going to shout at me like that I'll remove the info!
I don't ever recall going through 'passport control' on exiting the UK! Landside > Security > Shops...that's it!
Old Jun 27th 2013, 9:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I don't ever recall going through 'passport control' on exiting the UK! Landside > Security > Shops...that's it!
I've had mine looked at a couple of times, just a cursory glance.
I stand by my original info, and will continue to travel that way, you HAVE to check in and transit using a passport that will allow you entry into the destination country.

However having had an earful from rather too many people this week, mainly due to the (alleged) incompetence of this sites owners, I'm through with trying to help people for now.
Off to the pub, Laters.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 9:04 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add, and funnily enough that exact combination of flights is available for 7th July as a frequent flyer redemption. I didn't check the other date.

If you want to book it yourself for the same price as being quoted here, let me know...that outbound prices at USD2025 as a one way if you just buy the miles yourself.
Thanks bcworld, 'Jason' has been very good at getting back to me with queries re date change fees etc, but have gone with your excellent advice and my gut instinct and declined the offer. What a brilliant offer from you re the points, I appreciate that so much, but I've bought the ticket. Blast! Wasn't too bad in the end, considering the short notice and it's with good airlines. And from a recognised travel search engine Thanks again.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 9:07 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I've had mine looked at a couple of times, just a cursory glance.
I stand by my original info, and will continue to travel that way, you HAVE to check in and transit using a passport that will allow you entry into the destination country.

However having had an earful from rather too many people this week, mainly due to the (alleged) incompetence of this sites owners, I'm through with trying to help people for now.
Off to the pub, Laters.
I greatly appreciated your information Pollyanna. Sending you a big hug, and have a G and T for me if you would
Old Jun 27th 2013, 9:10 am
Concierge

ps I didn't have to input passport details when purchasing the ticket, if that makes a difference.

I think I'll go to the pub myself and drag the scouser along with me, since I'm not going to see him for about 3 months. sniff.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 9:43 am
Concierge

bcworld, you were right about the points! Moot point now, but what's your take on this offer? Cheers

Hi Beth,

Thanks for being frank and honest with me. I do understand your concern. We are a legit company for sure. The reason we can get these tickets at a discounted price is because we have a lot of mileage points and we use it to redeem the tickets. However the tickets will be entirely under your name. Since this is the first time of us possibly doing business together and to prove that we are not trying to scam, I can issue you the E-ticket first before you pay us. Once you have the E-ticket, you can check online or even give the airlines a call to check on the validity of the ticket. The only risk I take is if you do not pay then I would have to cancel the ticket and be hit with a USD$150 fee. I would gladly take this risk to work with you on this as in the business, we do value customer satisfaction and also referrals as well.

Please do let me know what you think. Thank you Beth and I hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Jason Ng
Old Jun 27th 2013, 9:54 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
bcworld, you were right about the points! Moot point now, but what's your take on this offer? Cheers

Hi Beth,

Thanks for being frank and honest with me. I do understand your concern. We are a legit company for sure. The reason we can get these tickets at a discounted price is because we have a lot of mileage points and we use it to redeem the tickets. However the tickets will be entirely under your name. Since this is the first time of us possibly doing business together and to prove that we are not trying to scam, I can issue you the E-ticket first before you pay us. Once you have the E-ticket, you can check online or even give the airlines a call to check on the validity of the ticket. The only risk I take is if you do not pay then I would have to cancel the ticket and be hit with a USD$150 fee. I would gladly take this risk to work with you on this as in the business, we do value customer satisfaction and also referrals as well.

Please do let me know what you think. Thank you Beth and I hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Jason Ng
The USD150 fee is familiar as this is what US Airways charges for a cancellation...and as they are in the habit of selling large numbers of miles I assume this is the source of the offer.

Here's what the terms and conditions of their frequent flyer program say:

Members may not sell, purchase, barter, exchange or broker award tickets or offer to do any of the foregoing. Any transaction in violation may result in deletion of the member’s miles and may result in program disqualification and could lead to civil or criminal litigation.
So it's OK for you to buy the miles and issue the ticket for yourself but not OK for someone else to buy the miles then sell you a ticket. Jason is taking a big risk if he is accumulating large numbers of miles presumably in multiple accounts and selling award tickets. I am aware of another person who held 6 US Airways accounts (in the name of family members) and lost 800,000miles (Approx $15k cost) when it was discovered he sold an award ticket.

Oh, and if it's US Airways - you will not be able to change that return date. No exceptions.

Last edited by bcworld; Jun 27th 2013 at 9:58 am.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 9:59 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I was possibly being a bit "correct"! If the exit officials don't look at your passports it obviously doesn't matter, but if they are doing their jobs they should at least be noting people leaving the UK who entered on foreign documents. I've never entered the UK myself on my Australian passport but I assume if I did I would have an entry stamp and bit of paper like most other countries so that they can keep check on who's overstaying.

Having said that, most people seem to say that the UK has lost control of the borders anyway, so you're probably better off entering on a forged Khazakstani driving licence.....
Old Jun 27th 2013, 10:03 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I was possibly being a bit "correct"! If the exit officials don't look at your passports it obviously doesn't matter, but if they are doing their jobs they should at least be noting people leaving the UK who entered on foreign documents. I've never entered the UK myself on my Australian passport but I assume if I did I would have an entry stamp and bit of paper like most other countries so that they can keep check on who's overstaying.

Having said that, most people seem to say that the UK has lost control of the borders anyway, so you're probably better off entering on a forged Khazakstani driving licence.....
Hey Wol,

When I left the UK this week nobody looked at my passport at all. There wasn't any passport control on the way out. So I don't reckon it matters if you use the coupon off a frosties packet.

BB
Old Jun 27th 2013, 2:05 pm
Concierge

The USD150 fee is familiar as this is what US Airways charges for a cancellation...and as they are in the habit of selling large numbers of miles I assume this is the source of the offer.

Here's what the terms and conditions of their frequent flyer program say:

So it's OK for you to buy the miles and issue the ticket for yourself but not OK for someone else to buy the miles then sell you a ticket. Jason is taking a big risk if he is accumulating large numbers of miles presumably in multiple accounts and selling award tickets. I am aware of another person who held 6 US Airways accounts (in the name of family members) and lost 800,000miles (Approx $15k cost) when it was discovered he sold an award ticket.

Oh, and if it's US Airways - you will not be able to change that return date. No exceptions.
I think I've had a close call bcworld, you're a champ ps you have to give Jason top marks for persistence! Last email below, because I'm not replying to this one

Hi Beth,

No problem at all. It's entirely your choice. If I assist you on booking the tickets, you will be saving over $1000 which is a great deal. Would you consider canceling your order and I can book for you? If you just book the tickets, the cancellation should be free within 24 hours. I would love to assist you on this ticket and help you save money. I know it is hard for you to let me assist you on the first time round but I hope you give us a chance to prove ourselves and I assure you that you will not be disappointed. Please let me know your thoughts.

Many thanks Beth

Best regards,

Jason Ng
Old Jun 27th 2013, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wol
NO!

You imply using the Oz passport to leave the UK (probably don't mean that.) If you try to leave the UK on an Oz passport they will obviously look for your entry stamp.

Airline check-in and immigration are completely different. if you buy the ticket on one passport you must check in (anywhere) using that passport. But when going in/out through immigration use the appropriate one: UK leaving the UK (Assuming you've entered on it), Oz one coming back to Oz.

I've never bought a ticket 'on a passport', as far as I can recall. US Airways have asked me before for passport details but I just said I didn't have my passport to hand. Can't remember anyone else asking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.