Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flying to Australia with a 3 year old

Flying to Australia with a 3 year old

Old Jul 11th 2008, 7:52 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Flying to Australia with a 3 year old

When are you going? We are flying to Sydney on 30th August with two littlies, our eldest will be two and 4months and our youngest will be 6 minths old. Not looking forwards to that much!

Like your 3 year old our toddler isn't that bothered by tv (except thomas and friends and bob the builder) and she's never used a computer game etc so that'll not be much help. I have started collecting magazines etc of characters that she likes (thomas the tank engine and bob the builder being favourites at the moment). They usually come with a free gift of some sort so I have been taking those off the front of the magazine and, if they are suitable, I will use those as 'presents' too. Other than that I am going to get a few small pocket money toys (you can find them on various web sites, and they cost 50pence or so), colouring books and pencils, story books, one of those small aquadraw mats etc. We have bought her her own little hand-luggage case from Samsonite (sammies, dinky three) in the shape of a ladybird that she can 'help' to pack.

Other advice that I have been given is to board last (less time on the plane), take a small inflatable ball so that you can play with it in departures, and my mum in law recommended that we go into one of the lounges at the airport because there are toys etc. Take a couple of those individual packets of cereal so that if the food on the flight isn't suitable (or they don't like it) you have something for them to eat plus fruit etc, whatever they usually have as snacks. When you board, try and catch the attention of the air stewards and find out when the best time is to make snacks/drinks etc for your little boy so that you don't get under their feet and also ask for your meals to be served seperately so that one of you eats afterwards so that you can help your son to eat his dinner (and so that yours isn't cold).

I'm actually less worried about flying with our baby - she is breastfed so drinks etc are easy, and we've only just started weaning so I can take that easily enough. She is fairly easy to entertain and I'm sure that the air stewards will help out a bit with her.

If you are flying after we are, I'll try and remember to post about how it went.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

stubbieholder31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we took our daughter over 4 years ago and she was 3 at the time.
We were amazed at actually how good she was.
You'l be suprised, its not as bad as you think. And the air stewards are good. At least they were with Emirates. They provided colouring books etc.. so dont wory too much. He'l prob sleep a lot anyway, our little girl did even though she was very hyper in them days.
Good luck
Old Jul 11th 2008, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

maxtye has a spectacular aura aboutmaxtye has a spectacular aura aboutmaxtye has a spectacular aura about

I was thinking of not letting my 3yr old sleep for a few days before the journey
Old Jul 13th 2008, 7:16 am
Just Joined

michelle doran is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya,
We flew with a 3 yr old boy....sounds similar to yours.
We were amazed - we used a lot of new colouring books/cars etc etc in the day, but at bed-time he had his pyjamas on and slept all night (both of them!)

We took off just before bed, and were so tired physically/emotionally.....we didn't realise how much it had affected him also....he just crashed!

If he has a favourite cartoon character etc, then it might be worth investing in a cheap/small DVD player and a dvd that will catch his attention.
At that age they won't just watch anything, and the in-flight entertainment isn't always geared up for that age.

Just try and stick to your usual routine, and if you are lucky enough to be on a quieter flight, don't be afraid to swap seats if there is a few on which he/you can stretch out...we did.

I bet he will amaze you! xx